Canon introduces webcam starter kits for the EOS RP and select EOS M and Rebel cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has introduced webcam starter kits for the Canon EOS RP and select EOS M and Rebel cameras. You will still need the Webcam Utility Software from Canon, which is free.
The kits include an interface cable, a DC couple and an AC adapter to make the cameras a bit easier to use as a webcam.
Canon EOS Webcam Accessories Starter Kit for EOS RP $159 (Includes)

Canon AC-E6N AC Adapter
Canon DC Coupler DR-E18
Canon IFC-100U Interface Cable (39.4″)

Canon EOS Webcam Accessories Starter Kit for EOS M50, M50 Mark II & M200 Mirrorless Cameras $89 (Includes)

Canon AC Adapter CA-PS700
Canon DC Coupler DR-E12
Canon IFC-600PCU Interface Cable (3.3′)

Canon EOS Webcam Accessories Starter Kit for EOS Rebel T3, T5, T6 & T7 DSLR Cameras $89...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
Does anyone know if the RP AC adapter could potentially work on the Canon R5? I would love to record without having to worry about the battery and I do not have an RP for this purpose unfortunately.
I don't think it will work without an additional end cable. I have an off brand AC adapter for my RP and the part that connects the camera is shaped like an LP-E17 battery. I don't think that would fit the R5 (but I don't have an R5).

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
I don't think it will work without an additional end cable. I have an off brand AC adapter for my RP and the part that connects the camera is shaped like an LP-E17 battery. I don't think that would fit the R5 (but I don't have an R5).
Thanks for the info. You are right. It would not. The R5 uses the LP-E6NH battery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Does anyone know if the RP AC adapter could potentially work on the Canon R5? I would love to record without having to worry about the battery and I do not have an RP for this purpose unfortunately.

Of course, you could buy the cables separately.

This set includes both the AC Adapter and DC Coupler that work for the 5D Mark II, III, IV and the R, so it should work with the R5, as they all use versions of the LP-E6 battery.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278814-REG/canon_ac_e6n_ac_adapter_and.html

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hi!
AC adapter (AC-6N )will work. In general any 8V3A adapter will work. Only issue you need different DC coupler. For R5 you need DC Coupler DR-E6
I had 3rd party ebay DC coupler and it did not work with R5. Got got Canon original coupler and everything works great.

Upvote 0
There are people that got the r5 to work with only usb-c power. Maybe that’s an option

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Okay - wow. I love canon, I know this is a canon Forum, but still....
This is:
1. 1 year late
2. so heavily overpriced, its a ripoff. AC battery dongles are available for all canon cameras FOR AGES. Its a super simple device. These Dongles cost around 15$, including the AC Adapter. I used 8 different of these dongles/adapters on very different cameras (canon and others) and for a LOT of hours, all of them worked 100% reliable. And the super special "Canon IFC-100U Interface Cable" is also a joke. Its just a USB C Cable! A brand new 3m, newest generation 3.1 usb C cable costs 3-6$.
So 20$ would be a deal. 40$ would be okay for the brand tax. But 160$??? Thats heavy. Even the 90$ for the older models is still heavily overpriced.

I can totaly understand that very specialized tools or extraordinary robust hardware is very expensive. But this is neither super specialized, nor extraordinary robust.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The R5 uses the LP-6, so in my experience (at least my 2 adapters work) you can use any AC Adapter which got that dummy.
Like this, or one of the other hundreds of offers https://www.ebay.de/itm/Netzteil-Ad...-D-Serie-ACK-E6-ACKE6-2764B034AA/164239081562
On your own risk obviously, but I at least never had any kind of problems =)

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
This is:
1. 1 year late
2. so heavily overpriced, its a ripoff. AC battery dongles are available for all canon cameras FOR AGES. Its a super simple device. These Dongles cost around 15$, including the AC Adapter. I used 8 different of these dongles/adapters on very different cameras (canon and others) and for a LOT of hours, all of them worked 100% reliable. And the super special "Canon IFC-100U Interface Cable" is also a joke. Its just a USB C Cable! A brand new 3m, newest generation 3.1 usb C cable costs 3-6$.
So 20$ would be a deal. 40$ would be okay for the brand tax. But 160$??? Thats heavy. Even the 90$ for the older models is still heavily overpriced.

I can totaly understand that very specialized tools or extraordinary robust hardware is very expensive. But this is neither super specialized, nor extraordinary robust.
I was looking in to the 3rd party options as well. There are a few youtubers out there with links to what you need, with disclaimers that they have tried other versions and caused damage to their cameras because the specs on the item weren't really as advertised. Those links to what works no longer work, as the part numbers have been changed or discontinued and replaced with something new that is untested. I suppose a $~50 premium for a known good solution (for the M series at least) is worth it to some folks.

The USBc power capability of the newest models opens up a few avenues. There is a good thread on FM where some guys have found wat works for the R5 and is reliable.

-Brian

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This is:
1. 1 year late

So don’t buy it.

Upvote 0
1. They should make the Webcam utility more reliable to work with Teams. For me it only partially works.

2. Got myself a 3rd Party Adapter on Amazon which works perfectly using Power supplied by USB Plug(s) . All I need is a USB source that supplied enough Power.
On the SOS R I have no choice of running from USB C since it is only used for charging.

3. I wish they would make the Webcam Utility avaiable for the EOS M5 which now mostly collects dust.

Upvote 0
1 year late
Price gouging
Compatibility with most common conferencing apps: Teams, WebEx, Zoom, etc. is still "good luck with that".

How is this not a $40 kit with compatibility assured across the top 5 videoconferencing platforms?
This was a massive lost opportunity for Canon.

If they REALLY wanted to do something special, they would have found a way to load those top 5 conferencing apps into a compact wifi dongle that directly attaches to the camera, and makes it a seamless solution, so that we could use the flippy screen as the video-conferencing monitor and be untethered from our cell phones and laptops for videoconferencing. That would have pushed a lot of cameras into peoples hands.

Upvote 0
1 year late
Price gouging
Compatibility with most common conferencing apps: Teams, WebEx, Zoom, etc. is still "good luck with that".

How is this not a $40 kit with compatibility assured across the top 5 videoconferencing platforms?
This was a massive lost opportunity for Canon.

If they REALLY wanted to do something special, they would have found a way to load those top 5 conferencing apps into a compact wifi dongle that directly attaches to the camera, and makes it a seamless solution, so that we could use the flippy screen as the video-conferencing monitor and be untethered from our cell phones and laptops for videoconferencing. That would have pushed a lot of cameras into peoples hands.

Have you even tried it? I've tried it in Teams, Zoom, and Skype and it works fine. You're probably basing your judgment on Youtube videos where they looked at the beta version of the software.

With the R5, I have the flippy screen facing me and I'm doing the Teams meeting just by looking at the flippy screen when I'm talking (just so my eyes are facing the right direction; if I need to see them then I'll look back at my monitor).

Upvote 0