Canon Japan Announces Flat Rate Repair Pricing for Rebels as Well as EOS M Cameras and Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Canon Japan is starting <a href="http://cweb.canon.jp/e-support/repair/info170907.html">flat rate repair program</a> for consumer DSLRs and EOS M cameras and lenses on September 20, 2017.</p>
<p>This isn’t new for Canon, as various other regions around the globe offer flat rate repairs on products such as PowerShot. However, this is the first time we’ve heard of flat rate repairs for EOS M products and hopefully this comes to other areas of the planet in the coming months.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>From Canon Japan</strong> (Google Translated):</p>
<p>From September 20, 2017 (Wednesday), we will introduce a uniform repair fee for some products of single lens reflex camera, mirrorless camera and interchangeable lens.</p>
<p>The uniform repair fee includes technical fees for repair and parts costs (excluding expendables and accessories) necessary for repairing the defective part, and repair is carried out at a fixed fee provided for each model regardless of the content of the failure I will.</p>

<p><strong>Products</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Digital single lens reflex camera entry model EOS Kiss series / EOS xxxxD series</li>
<li>Mirror-less camera EOS M series</li>
<li>Interchangeable lens for single lens reflex camera EF-S series</li>
<li>Interchangeable lens for mirrorless camera EF-M series</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Application start date</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>From Wednesday 20th September 2017 (Wed)</li>
</ul>
<p><span class="marker">※</span>Only when we apply for repair directly to our company.</p>
<p><span class="marker">* For</span>uniform repair fee, please refer to ” <a href="http://cweb.canon.jp/e-support/repair/before.html">Repair service agreement on aircraft subject to carry-in repair</a> “.</p>
<p><span class="marker">※ In</span>case of breakdown due to severe drop · shock · flood · sand entering, the uniform repair fee will not be applied and will be received separately at the estimated price.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
AvTvM said:
I dont like flat rate repair prices. It just means that every freakin little repair issue costs a bundle. I bet, Canon makes way more money out of this scheme than out of reasonable repair prices depending on type/amount of damage.

I agree. Maybe this isn't a big deal to most, but it's a real turn off for me towards Canon. $230 for even the smallest of out of warranty repairs for a camera that costs $500 or $600 is ludicrous in my opinion. Granted, the vast majority of my Canon cameras and gear have given me no problems and needed no repairs in the years I've been using them. But having to ante up $150 this week for what was most likely faulty glue and a loose ribbon on a poorly designed tilt screen mechanism doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Whereas recently I had been considering investing in a third FF DSLR to go with my 5D4 and replace my aging (but still kicking) 5D2, and upgrading to the M5 from my M3, now for the first time ever, I'm considering looking at some other company that doesn't withhold modern features, charge a premium, and then charge another premium when you need a repair.

I never worried about repairs with my Canon gear before. But learning there were others that experienced the exact same issue I had with the M3 and the fact that it happened after only 2 years of use (compared to the at least 5 years I've used any of my other bodies without problems) robs me in a lot of confidence in Canon's current QA.

And interestingly enough, that flat-rate price tier, from what I can tell, doesn't mention regular EF or L lenses at all.

I have to imagine this is some greedy new strategy concocted to get people to just buy a new camera instead of going through the prohibitively expensive hassle of repairing it.

Upvote 0