Canon is actively conducting market research on a “retro” style camera body

Voting for Canon P with EVF or OVF hybrid. The QL17 has too boxy corners. Also since Nikon came out with ZF, Canon would be pulling a "Me Too" with a SLR-like retro mirrorless, which they seem loathe to do.

I would hope Canon sticks with full frame IBIS for this, come out with FD-RF mount adapters, and make focus guide available on all types of manual lenses. Better yet, come out with some modern day RF mount manual focus lenses themselves to match. That would open so much possibilities!
They should just allow Cosina to release all of the primes for RF. They are already available for both E and Z mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 60's-era lenses were nice to look at. Scalloped with the metal ring. Could also do black. I think these are a better look than the 80's era lenses. Maybe could be modified a little bit but this or the FD L designs would be a place to start. The 80's looking plastic stuff was no bueno

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 7.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 7.15.55 PM.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
The F1 and FD lenses look great! They certainly don't take camera ad photos like they used to, all photoshop looking these days.

FD lenses in the hand though; the prickly little pyramids on the focus ring certainly feel less than stellar and reminded me of a meat tenderizer each time I held it up.

Upvote 0
I'm not buying into "Retro"(aka pre 80s camera design) as the ergo is inferior to modern cameras. I've hold Zfc for a day and I wished it was a R50 instead.

And these "Retro" camera is for folks who lived in those eras. Or Instagram posters who need this camera to make them look good&"artistic"

Maybe I'm still too young. I started photography with my family's 1V. That's RETRO for me. And Canon is constantly making RETRO camera so I'm more than happy with current situation.:p

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am preferring the images from Canon R glass over Nikon Z glass. The Nikon glass is kind of boring. The Canon images are more interesting, and I like that Canon is taking risks on making interesting glass (28-70/2.0) I would love to switch over from Nikon if the choices were right.
No such thing. It is the photographer and the processing.

Upvote 0
I for one would really like this. I currently shoot an R5, but have a few other bodies (Fujifilm XPro2, Leica M6 and then some other film cameras). I\'ve been thinking about getting a second Canon body for awhile, probably lower res (e.g., R6II), but haven\'t done so yet.

The Nikon ZF has nearly caught me, and I understand Leica is also considering releasing some of their pre-M bodies with an M-mount, based on the success of the re-release of the M6.

There really is something about the older-looking cameras that appeals to me, but I get that it won\'t be for everyone. I agree with previous comments that the ergonomics of recent cameras are much better. That said, give me R6II-type smarts (e.g., autofocus) in a retro-inspired body with an RF mount and I\'m sold. I can see myself slapping on the 28mm pancake and nifty fifty as a walk-around package, as well as adapting older glass. Personally, this feels like the kind of camera that would inspire me to pick it up and take it somewhere.

Also, some cameras are great for breaking the ice. I found this with the X100F and most of my film stuff. Whereas with the modern cameras, they can put people off. For example, when I take photos of my kids at a school carnival, if I take an older camera, people ask me to take photos of them with their kids, too. That doesn\'t happen so much with the R5.

So, I\'m immediately sold on the idea, and I don\'t mind too much if it\'s a rangefinder-style body or more of an SLR body. Hell, do both. And, if handling ergonomics are an issue, do what Leica does with the M10-D and include the film advance lever as a thumb rest.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Well, it depends...
The Leica M digital has what you might call an old school design. Yet it is, in my opinion, an almost perfect camera in terms of ergonomics. The main settings are immediately visible and accessible, the menu is absolutely logical, also in winter times with "frozen" fingers. It's all a matter of implementation. Nothing to do with Sony's so-called ergonomics.
I'm quite certain that Canon would not sacrifice ergonomics, one of their main strengths, just for a nicer design.
You can have both, style and good haptic properties.
People are different, so are cameras...
Absolutely. I dont understand why this style of camera is considered bad ergonomics.

Upvote 0
The F1 and FD lenses look great! They certainly don't take camera ad photos like they used to, all photoshop looking these days.

FD lenses in the hand though; the prickly little pyramids on the focus ring certainly feel less than stellar and reminded me of a meat tenderizer each time I held it up.
Totally, they should either do a scalloped metal grip or rip off the texture from the AIS Nikons.

Upvote 0
Personally, I find these retro cameras a bit silly. For me one of the advantages of modern cameras such as the R3 is the ergonomics.
I’m with you here. It’s a camera idea developed for old hipsters who seem more conscious about image (and what others think of them) than in the actual photographs they are shooting or presenting. If I have a retro styled camera then I’m a “real” photographer and my images will automatically be better…
I’ve built a lot of exotic custom bass guitars over the years but often quite confused by the “retro is best” crowd. It’s like a random aesthetic choices are more important that 50 years of innovation and technology.
No one wants a modern camera to actually shoot images that look and behave like they did in the 1970’s.

Upvote 0
F-1 since it has the little grippy. But didn't the AE-1 have an accessory grip?
The A-1 and AE-1 Program came with a detachable mini grip that felt great in the hands. Also putting the camera in the Canon leather holder really added to the look and feel of the camera. The retro super wise red strap was essential too. I still have a pair of those back from the earlt 80's.

Upvote 0