Canon is actively conducting market research on a “retro” style camera body

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wonder if all those criticising ergonomics of Leicaflex SL, Nikon F2, Minolta SRT 101, Canon F1 ever really (often!) used these cameras. Ergonomics were different, yet, quite strangely, nobody complained back then. And, between these competing brands, the important controls were almost identically placed. So, whether you used a Minolta or a Nikon, you found yourself at home...
The exception (not dramatic) being the Olympus OM series.
People likely spent less time with their cameras in hand, with 36 shots per roll you have to be deliberate about the shots. I remember going on 2 or 3 week vacations as a kid and we'd sometimes have exposures left over on the single roll we brought. Maybe that's because this was with an OM series ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
For Canon: Just do it! Or resume m6ii style!
For those who ask why: a camera body could be part of people's wardrobes. It should blend in. And not having huge lenses on a tripod, those retro styles actually worked better and were more comfortable for some of us including me. I like the build and form factor of them but I wouldn't say I like a modern body to copy all the buttons and dials from the past. I think those could be minimized and updated to the present.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah, but I haven't seen you belittle the people that would love to see one. So you're not a Debbie!
The look is cool. That's why I bought an Olympus. The Olympus, though, is too tiny to be comfortable for me. I'm confident a FF Canon will be better. I have a Canon AE-1 and it's better to me .

Upvote 0
What is holding you back now? What is missing at Canon? Serious question...
Really, what I want is a camera with manual controls and non-EOS 650 aesthetics, lol. I have bounced back and forth between Canon and Nikon in the past. I think I moved from Canon to Nikon 5-6 years ago because a couple of the specific lenses I wanted were less expensive or better.

Upvote 0
I echo those of you who long for the huge viewfinders of old -- like the Olympus OM-1. As for a retro-looking DSLR, F-1 or AE-1 I'm too am mystified as to how it will make the shooting experience better. Canon's lineup has a wide range of sizes now of mirrorless SLRs, so users have lots of choice with interchangeable lens cameras. So it should go for something different, like the QL -- that is, a small camera with a spacious viewfinder and an APS-C sensor (I can't understand how people shoot with only a flippy screen.....I'm narrow-minded, I guess). Challenge the Fuji X100 series by doing it better -- and don't price it like it's a limited edition.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Really, what I want is a camera with manual controls and non-EOS 650 aesthetics, lol. I have bounced back and forth between Canon and Nikon in the past. I think I moved from Canon to Nikon 5-6 years ago because a couple of the specific lenses I wanted were less expensive or better.
As soon as Nikon gets their more advanced AF system used in the Z8 and Z9 into their less expensive models, I would see no reason not to stay with Nikon. I tried switching a couple years ago (before I got into Bird photography and needed the better AF) and found Nikon cameras better at each price point than Canon (especially the Z5 and Z7) and by most accounts, their Z lenses are excellent. I like an all-purpose lens and found the 24-200 lens to be the best lens of that type I have ever used. It was as sharp as my Canon RF 24-105, despite the much greater focal range. Their range of Telephotos is outstanding.

Choosing your camera brand is mostly about the lenses, in my opinion. Although, in my case I returned to Canon for Canon color. Did not like Nikon color at all. But my main brand is Olympus as the lenses are excellent and give me twice the reach of FF for my bird photography. Cameras come and go. Lenses can last a lifetime (or close).

Upvote 0
As soon as Nikon gets their more advanced AF system used in the Z8 and Z9 into their less expensive models, I would see no reason not to stay with Nikon. I tried switching a couple years ago (before I got into Bird photography and needed the better AF) and found Nikon cameras better at each price point than Canon (especially the Z5 and Z7) and by most accounts, their Z lenses are excellent. I like an all-purpose lens and found the 24-200 lens to be the best lens of that type I have ever used. It was as sharp as my Canon RF 24-105, despite the much greater focal range. Their range of Telephotos is outstanding.

Choosing your camera brand is mostly about the lenses, in my opinion. Although, in my case I returned to Canon for Canon color. Did not like Nikon color at all. But my main brand is Olympus as the lenses are excellent and give me twice the reach of FF for my bird photography. Cameras come and go. Lenses can last a lifetime (or close).
It sounds funny but I actually went with the D810 over the 5D MK3 just because I preferred Nikon's 50/1.8 over Canon's -- and didn't want to spend $400 for a 50/1.4 that I didn't find that appealing. I may have felt the same way about their 24-70/2.8, but I don't totally remember. That and I think the D600 had 3D AF, which I preferred. I don't remember if the 5D MK2 I was using at the time, had it.

But yeah, it's funny how really small decisions at the margins can make one brand more appealing over another. I wasn't at the point where I wanted like the 85/1.2 that Canon was offering.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had the Canon F1 back in old days of film, but since dslr's are more instamatic without having to develop film, I would choose the Canon 1 D Mark IV because of the APH sensor size but would like the Canon R7's, 32 megapixels and maybe the APC sensor as an option like Nikon does on their full frame camera bodies.

Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
The Karmann Ghia convertible was one of my favorites I have owned over the years. During a trip through New England a few years ago I saw one just like it and it brought back sweet memories.
The mention of it here brought back sweet memories for me too.

I can confirm it is indeed possible to get busy in one….

Upvote 0