Canon is actively conducting market research on a “retro” style camera body

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
As the former owner of an FTb, AE-1, A1 and Canonet QL17, I vote for none of the above. I have to agree with Neuro. I like my R7, especially its size, but think the R6-2 has better ergonomics. Mostly I want Canon to stop changing the ergonomics with each new introduction.
"Mostly I want Canon to stop changing the ergonomics with each new introduction."
Me too!
Far too many differences between R, R7, R6 and R5. Swapping bodies isn't always fun!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Voting for Canon P with EVF or OVF hybrid. The QL17 has too boxy corners. Also since Nikon came out with ZF, Canon would be pulling a "Me Too" with a SLR-like retro mirrorless, which they seem loathe to do.

I would hope Canon sticks with full frame IBIS for this, come out with FD-RF mount adapters, and make focus guide available on all types of manual lenses. Better yet, come out with some modern day RF mount manual focus lenses themselves to match. That would open so much possibilities!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
F-1 for me. If it looked like the AE-1 I'd get them confused.
But the original F-1 or the New F-1? This post shows the latter. Anyway I see little use for a SLR vintage body style - but nostalgia. Making a compact rangefinder-like body is IMHO more interesting - not much because of the vintage look, but because of the form factor.

I still own my A-1, and sometimes use it - but the ergonomics was good for its times - and it was one of the first camera having a dial you could move easily while looking in the viewfinder. Yet, now if they can make a camera small and light as the A-1 is (and the FD lenses too) compared to my 5D...

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As the former owner of an FTb, AE-1, A1 and Canonet QL17, I vote for none of the above. I have to agree with Neuro. I like my R7, especially its size, but think the R6-2 has better ergonomics. Mostly I want Canon to stop changing the ergonomics with each new introduction.

Canon does need some continuity across the EOS R lineup. Hopefully the next generation of cameras will settle Canon into an ergonomic philosophy.

Upvote 0
Having had a few FD camera bodies, way way back...I think the most hansome film SLR ever made by Canon was the AE-1 Program. One of the prettiest looking cameras of all time. I had one of those in silver and an A-1 in black. I've always rolled with 2 camera bodies.
I completely agree with you on the AE styling. Many of these now-retro cameras have a certain allure to them. I have a Minolta SRT-102 that was used by an uncle during his deployment in the mid-late 70's. I used it for a short time until deciding to simply preserve the camera. I just feel different when shooting with a retro or retro style camera. It truly does slow down the process, but in a good way. The X100V does the same for me, and apparently many others. It's kind of a back to basics approach that is refreshing.

I think the retro-camera popularity is similar to how people lust after classic cars. I drove a '65 Shelby Cobra a few years ago. The ride, handling, and power were laughable compared to the modern vehicle I owned. I still would have loved to add it to my garage. There is definitely a strong psychological component involved, but you experience driving in a unique way that isn't possible, for whatever reason, with modern cars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whatever the design, I'm sure it'll look good if they make it - I just hope they don't cripple it so hard that there's no reason to use it. I would love to see the R5 sensor in a retro body, WITH IBIS, though I wouldn't be too upset about smaller batteries even though it'd be nice to get the full LP-E6NH. Something about a retro body makes me nostalgic and makes me want to go out and make art. If it doesn't have that effect on everyone, that's cool! I also appreciate the more covert shooting, as people would think it's a film camera, at least until they got a lot closer (or if you had a white lens attached), putting you at less risk for theft, and it also makes people act more natural in my experience.

Upvote 0
I'm with clearwaterphotog. I've admired Nikon for doing this, but I'm not interested in a 24megapixel body. I want whatever the latest sensor technology is. If they produce a somewhat F1 body I'll wish for it, but if it has R5 level technology I'll probably buy it, because I'll be able to use it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Just put the 1v back into production !
No way you could manufacture such a thing today and sell it for the $549 that will get you a mint one on eBay. (I sold mine a week after getting my 1-Ds MkI in 2002... the pro shooter was so happy to get one for only $2000, and didn't think digital would amount to much.)

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I actually used both the Contax G2 outfit (28, 45, 90) and the Leica M6 (35/1.4, 74/1.4) a lot in the 90s. I could see utility in a re-issue of the QL14, actually, which was a rangefinder with a fixed 50/1.4. Except I might make it a 45 or 40/1.4. Give it a seriously nice sensor and it could be my back-pack camera instead of the R5+50/1.4+16/2.8 I carry now. Is anyone making a camera like that today? I think Leica had the "Q" or something with a fixed 28/2.8 which I get, but still is just too wide for me.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Back in August, we spent a bit of time reading between the lines about a “retro” influences Canon camera from comments made by a Canon executive. This topic was brought up in response to the hype around Nikon’s Zf retro camera body. Now it appears Canon is actively asking customers which of their most iconic

See full article...
I have the F1n, it was my camera for many years until the AF and EF glass came. however, I would rather spend my (not so big) saving to own R1.

Upvote 0