Canon is thinking about more lenses like the RF 600mm f/11 STM and RF 800mm f/11 STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon’s Kengo Iezuka suggested recently in an interview with Mynavi News that Canon is considering more lenses like the RF 600mm f/11 STM and RF 800mm f/11 STM super-telephoto lenses. He notes that these types of lenses weren’t possible on DSLRs because of the autofocus technological differences between a mirrorless and a DSLR.
“This lens has a darker F11 opening value, but it can be said that it was born because of the EOS R, which can use high-speed and high-precision AF even at such an opening value.”
Mr. Iezuka was asked specifically about the possibility of an RF 400mm f/8 STM to complete a trilogy of super small super-telephoto lenses. It sounded like something he wanted to see by saying “It would be nice to have it completed”.
I think the sales numbers of the RF 600 f/11 STM and RF 800 f/11 STM will determine if Canon continues with these lenses, as they did take a bit of a gamble investing development dollars into...

Continue reading...

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
No doubt a 400mm F/8 could be a super affordable $500 option for parents photographing their kid's soccer/football games during daylight. Same with a 500mm F/8.

My only hope is that Canon waits until they drop their set of high-end RF-mount supertelephoto lenses around the same time, so that gearheads can maybe zip it for once about not wanting these lenses. These really, truly have a great place in the line-up that most other companies don't come close to having. It's really excellent to see Canon do this so quickly after diving into mirrorless, just imagine what they have in store on the high-end!

From what I can tell, the 600 and 800mm F/11 have sold like hotcakes, there's already dozens of customer reviews out there already on the big consumer sites, which seems to me to indicate they're selling pretty well on an actual consumer level. Think of all the people who buy the superzoom digicams, like the G3X, and how much they would benefit from full frame 600mm, even at F/11.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
There's no need for an RF 400mm f/8. EF 400mm f/5.6L is relatively light and low cost, an is an excellent option especially with IBIS making its way to R series cameras. An updated RF 400mm f/5.6 IS wouldn't necessarily be much larger/heavier than a f/8 version.

An RF 500mm f/8 or an RF600mm f/8 would be much more interesting.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There's no need for an RF 400mm f/8. EF 400mm f/5.6L is relatively light and low cost, an is an excellent option especially with IBIS making its way to R series cameras. An updated RF 400mm f/5.6 IS wouldn't necessarily be much larger/heavier than a f/8 version.

And the EF 400mm f/5.6L has been discontinued. Obviously, Canon has identified a need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

An 500 5.6 would be interesting.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
I don´t think there is room for another 400mm lense since according the rumored the 100-400mm with F7.1 at the far end is coming. The difference from F7.1 to F8 would be too small. The price probably as well, if the 100-400mm is indeed a follow-up to the EF 70-300mm and priced competitively.

I`m sure another kind of these lense will be coming (but I have no idea what focal length) since according to this forum and some other reports they are selling really well. Imagine how they'll sell when traveling - like before the pandemic - starts again (sadly probably more like in 2022). So many Safari tourist who'll opt for these lenses. A new cashcow :)

I thought these lense were great innovative ideas, but I feared that they would not be successful cause of the pandemic. Obviously and thankfully I was wrong about that :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've been very happy with the DO 800 f11 (which I like to call my "pirate lens" due to its' long collapsible design).
I think a similar DO 1200 f16 would probably sell quite well.
The f/16 on the R5 would be getting so far into diffraction limitation it would have hardly any more resolution than the 800/11 and getting very dark. At the other extreme, the 400/4 DO is performing really well on the R5, but it’s neither cheap nor very small.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com

They sure are capable of coming up with these obscure lens designs but was never able to update the EF 50. Our friendly neighborhood photography writers/journalists/posters have never even bothered to ask this question to Canon in a meaningful way much less get any meaningful answers. I haven't seen this topic questioned by any photo site in many years and the EF 1.4 50 was already 20-year-old design, still selling at 350.00 to this day.

And there is no non-L 50mmR on the roadmap besides the cheapo. Just RIDICULOUS. I will bet that they don't have confidence that non-L 50mm 1.4 wouldn't bury the lavish L version in sales. I mean there's got to be some decent explanation of this scenario that's carrying itself over into mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0