Canon Japan shows off Canon’s 8K Cinema EOS camera coming in 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Japan has released a teaser for an 8K Cinema EOS camera, one of two 8K Cinema EOS cameras I expect will be announced in 2021. We’ll likely get an “A-camera” 8K camera above the Cinema EOS C700 FF and an 8K camera with a modular design like the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III and Cinema EOS C500 Mark II.
It turns out a marketing presentation was made at Inter BEE 2020 ONLINE a few days showcasing what Canon has planned for 8K.
Canon 8K Cinema EOS camera with 8K Conversion Box.
As a leading company in imaging technology, Canon is working to develop 8K solutions in anticipation of further advances in image expression. A compact, lightweight 8K camera that can be used in a variety of shooting styles. EF Cinema Lenses boasts an extensive lineup of wide-angle and telephoto lenses. 8K display with high brightness...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Matthew1551

CR Pro
Sep 3, 2020
The conversion box has a LEMO SMPTE fiber connection to it, suggesting, somehow, that it would be compatible with a CCU or interface unit on the other side of a broadcast camera chain. Commonly high end broadcast cameras employ this system as it packs signal, control, tally, and power into one fiber connection. Doesn't look too dissimilar to the ARRI made DTS Fiber system.

Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
The "Converstion Box" is clearly a module for splitting a 8K 60p feed into 4 4K60 12G SDI feeds. There is no SDI standard above 12G yet so 8K has to be split into quadrents and fed to 4 different recorders. The only external recorder I know of that can do 8K is the BlackMagic URSA Mini which is brand new and only works with their cameras. So for now using 4 external recorders is the only option other than internal recording.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
1080p is more than good enough for YouTube because most people view YouTube videos on phones or basic laptops, not like us photography nerds with nice 4k monitors. I make videos for YouTube as my main hobby and I shoot everything in 1080p even though I have a 4k camera because the files are easier to manage. I get much faster export times and upload times in 1080p than what I would get with 4k. Maybe someday I'll update my computer and internet service to a point where it wouldn't make a difference in processing and uploading, but for now 1080p is more than good enough for what I do. I do local news stuff so getting it out there quickly is more important than absolute quality. Nobody wants yesterdays news even if it's in 4k. As far as I know all the broadcast TV in my area is still 720p or 1080i and will probably be for some time.

8k is really for cinematic stuff at this point, stuff like movies in the theater and high end streaming to people with 8k TVs. It also helps with flexibility in editing, but again that's for the cinematic type of productions who have no issue with money for storage capacity and processing power.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
1080p is more than good enough for YouTube because most people view YouTube videos on phones or basic laptops, not like us photography nerds with nice 4k monitors. I make videos for YouTube as my main hobby and I shoot everything in 1080p even though I have a 4k camera because the files are easier to manage. I get much faster export times and upload times in 1080p than what I would get with 4k. Maybe someday I'll update my computer and internet service to a point where it wouldn't make a difference in processing and uploading, but for now 1080p is more than good enough for what I do. I do local news stuff so getting it out there quickly is more important than absolute quality. Nobody wants yesterdays news even if it's in 4k. As far as I know all the broadcast TV in my area is still 720p or 1080i and will probably be for some time.
I just bought a 4K camcorder and my computer video max is 2560 X 1600. The computer is 10 years old and I think it's time to build a new one (or have one built). My television is the only thing I can play 4K on and, honestly, it doesn't look that much better than HD.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
1080p is more than good enough for YouTube because most people view YouTube videos on phones or basic laptops, not like us photography nerds with nice 4k monitors. I make videos for YouTube as my main hobby and I shoot everything in 1080p even though I have a 4k camera because the files are easier to manage. I get much faster export times and upload times in 1080p than what I would get with 4k.

I just bought a 4K camcorder and my computer video max is 2560 X 1600. The computer is 10 years old and I think it's time to build a new one (or have one built). My television is the only thing I can play 4K on and, honestly, it doesn't look that much better than HD.

You guys know if you feed YT a file that is 2.7K resolution or higher it plays back at VP9 streaming (instead of AVC1) and will look better in even 1080p quality because the stream is a higher quality stream. I shoot everything in 1080p usually and upscale to 4K and feed that to YT. The playback is noticeably better...unless you're using Safari as Safari doesn't support VP9 streaming. At least the last time I checked it doesn't support it.

That's why I was a bit miffed. Man how do you make a video about an 8K camera and then feed YT a 1080p file? The playback in my option is a bit sub-par.

Any who, enough of my bitter ramblings...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You guys know if you feed YT a file that is 2.7K resolution or higher it plays back at VP9 streaming (instead of AVC1) and will look better in even 1080p quality because the stream is a higher quality stream. I shoot everything in 1080p usually and upscale to 4K and feed that to YT. The playback is noticeably better...unless you're using Safari as Safari doesn't support VP9 streaming. At least the last time I checked it doesn't support it.

That's why I was a bit miffed. Man how do you make a video about an 8K camera and then feed YT a 1080p file? The playback in my option is a bit sub-par.

Any who, enough of my bitter ramblings...
It depends on your channel also. My uploads are 1080p and have the vp9 label when looking for stats for nerds on YT. Must admit I am looking into upscaling as well for YT. Unfortunately with VEAI colors and gamma seem to shift after upscaling. Which sucks if you upscale the 1080p master.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Unfortunately my Japanese is rusty and I'm only getting about 20% of what's being said. But it doesn't take much to infer they're saying it makes pretty pictures and opens up a world of possibilities for filmmakers.

The question -- EF or RF?
Both, it will have interchangeable mounts, like the EF and PL options already available on the higher end C cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0