Canon may introduce a new menu system in upcoming cameras [CR2]

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I’d agree. It’s certainly moving that way. Not even sure high end gear is a must for what’s being printed and going on line. The R1 especially if it’s more compact than a 1DXIII will be aimed at that super enthusiast who wants the best camera ever.
The Super enthusiast. I like the sound of that.

Honey, where is my super suit ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The only reasonable justification I can think of would be if the new bodies have a more advanced gfx module (not entirely sure if this is part of digic or something else, but I do recall that there is dedicated hw to assist in the UI)

If not, then honestly Canon should get a kick up the rear if they don’t offer this on the existing R5/R6. Improving the UI is something they should make pervasive, not something you only get if you upgrade.

and like others I can think of several changes
- hide whole menus I don’t use
- hide entries out of menus
- change the order of menus
- name menus (even if only my menu)
- tag options to add to My menu, not having a long scroll list
- remove the entry limit on my menu
- menu to show what my c1/2/3 settings are in comparison to the defaults
- menu to allow me to name c1/2/3
- menu to load/save/clone/rename c1/2/3
- assign menu item to button (multiple press to toggle through the options)
- menus only specific to video when I am in a video mode and vice versa
- ability to override greyed out items and it tells me what it had to reset to allow me access

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Seems like the R1 would be the worst place to implement it. People who use these bodies tend to not like tons of changes.

Related—any time I see the option to stick with an old interface it makes me think the new one isn’t very good.
There have been plenty of times the new one sucks and you don't have the option too.

I still won't voluntarily use the microshaft orifice "ribbon." My home machine still uses office 2003.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There are a lot of ways to improve the menu system, so I very much look forward to a choice of a new menu system in the future.

But if they are going to do this, why hasn't Canon Japan openly asked for feedback from users like us (around the world) towards what features we'd like to see and how we'd like the menu system organized? If they got enough input from the people that really use it, then they'd be able to make a much better menu system in the future.

And any new menu system ought to be an option on the R5 & R6 (at least) as they are the latest bodies available and are still the main ones being sold and supported. The feedback from those users alone would be a good enough reason to offer the choice to them. Beyond that, it would increase the sales of the R5 & R6 which will continue for quite a while in parallel with whatever new bodies they are about to introduce.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I’d agree. It’s certainly moving that way. Not even sure high end gear is a must for what’s being printed and going on line. The R1 especially if it’s more compact than a 1DXIII will be aimed at that super enthusiast who wants the best camera ever.
I totally want the best camera ever. That sounds amazing.

;)

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Seems like the R1 would be the worst place to implement it. People who use these bodies tend to not like tons of changes.

Related—any time I see the option to stick with an old interface it makes me think the new one isn’t very good.
In principle I agree. If your livelihood depends on your images, you want to come up to speed as quickly as possible with the new hardware. A familiar menu system is definitely helpful

Maybe a couple of CPS articles telling why Canon thinks the new system is “better” and how it benefits working pros will help the transition.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It’s funny how different things suit different people, I love ‘My Menu’ and have all the things I regularly change in there. My AF control went way up when I separated the three variables onto a my menu page rather than work with the clunky modes and changes within those.
/me runs to turn on Canon camera and look for My Menu to see what it is all about....
;)

I love to learn about something new every day.
C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The comments here are a blast from the past relating to my previous career in usability and interface design.
I almost feel sorry for any person trying to make sense of such a disparate collection of requirements ;-)

Let's hope there really is a 'classic' mode available for fallback - a lot of photographers are very attached to stuff that means nothing to others.

The fact that I've read 50% of comments here and wondered what people were talking about indicates rather too much my general simple approach to using cameras.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't at all mind seeing better clarity. I may be a little thick-skulled, but I can't get my mind wrapped around that damned AF menu to save my life.

And I would love to see a computer based outline of all possible settings so I could see them spread out in one place and with fewer abbreviations. I could look it'll over and think about options away from the pressure of a shoot, and then load it into the camera whole. Or a second body, even.

• Love
Upvote 0
Menu updates are an inevitability. The existing one is looking old fashioned. It’s been a great menu system , very consistent between models.
I’d contrast it to Olympus who developed a terrible menu system
There must however in the mean time been more clever ways to organise and customise .
Certainly a hard separation between video and photo would be a start.
Focus options could somehow be smarter (or dumber - what are you shooting today - birds - may I suggest option 2(b) bird in flight mode?)
Canon will anyway want to make the camera feel refreshed and modern in all aspects.
It’s a risk though users get comfortable with what they know.
I agree with "...clever ways to organize..." And they could begin the reassessment with their Users Manuals. I have never seen such obfuscation outside of a Kafka novel. Those tiny books and even the on-line PDFs drive me to despair. There's this mindset that says more levels of emphasis the better: capitalize, underline, bold type, italic type, blue boxes, teeny icons that mean nothing if you haven't memorized them before you even know what they mean or do.

OK, sorry to vent. Wish it was more therapeutic.

Upvote 0