Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

20Mp — 20fps
40Mp - 10fps
65Mp - 6fps

Choose your poison.

nuh, this is all new sensor, processor and upgraded internal bus.
Current tech is:
20Mp at 20 FPS. 400Mp/s throughput.
65Mp at 6fps is within the current throughout limit.
5DV will sport at least 9fps. Let’s revisit this subject when 5DV was announced ;)

I used a 5D mkIV for a sports event (night street event) and wanted to toss it!! It was a rented body, so that wasn't a viable option lol
Struggled with tracking in low light and the buffer was horrendous

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Ths
For #1, the AF spread doesn't look good at all. See Gordon Laing's video on YouTube (@4:13). They're all bunched up in the center, just like before...:-(
Thank you. Well, this is expected. There are optical limitation around DSLR tech. The only way to have AF spread to the edges is .. crop sensor ... then you have :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Back to the AF Spread...OVF is roughly the same as the mkii according to the white papers, but the live view is almost 100% coverage. I find it very uncomfortable to hold the camera off my face and in front of me to use the live view

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.06.04 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.06.04 AM.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.06.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.06.32 AM.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I used a 5D mkIV for a sports event (night street event) and wanted to toss it!! It was a rented body, so that wasn't a viable option lol
Struggled with tracking in low light and the buffer was horrendous
Yeah?? I was wondering why... I shoot fast sports indoors with 5DIV, low light and within 200mm to 400mm ranger. Never had problem with tracking. Or buffer. I do not take more than 5-8 shoots in any given burst. I time my shots instead.
What lens and what AF case did you use back then??

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon would not hold on tech this time around.

Yep, Canon will unleash full 1-series butt kicking throughput on a lower price point product this time when they have done it precisely zero times before. ;)

Nope. Not happening unless there's a resurrection of 1DS line, in which case your 65 x 6 prediction wouldn't be that crazy.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Okay, for a [stills only] + [OVF only] gent like myself, someone please give me the top 3 things the 1DX3 will do that the 1DX2 cannot.
  • Better autofocus.
  • Interesting little button that could function something like the touch-screen focus point selection on the R.
  • Weaker low-pass filter for sharper images.
  • Better high ISO performance.
  • Faster frame rate with virtually unlimited buffer.

Honestly, I'm not sure that any of these things should get you excited just yet. The first four strike me as things that sound good in the promotional materials, but whether or not they are anywhere as good as promised can only be determined by actually trying out the camera. The faster frame rate should only excite you if you found the 1DxII too slow.

Personally, I'm intrigued. But still disappointed about the resolution and want to see some raw files at 12,800 to see if the trade-off in resolution was worth it. I'm at a point in my work and life where I know I won't be buying a 1Dx IV, so I have to see if my GAS gets the best of me once this has been out for several months.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Yep, Canon will unleash full 1-series butt kicking throughput on a lower price point product this time when they have done it precisely zero times before. ;)

Nope. Not happening unless there's a resurrection of 1DS line, in which case your 65 x 6 prediction wouldn't be that crazy.

- A

You may consider the following:

6FPS vs 9FPS vs 16 FPS:

Do you see how high res low FPS market (studio, reproduction, Macro, landscape, fashion, product, commercial) fits into the 6FPS category quite nicely?

So... 6fps is adequate for the market we have just described.
6fps is not adequate for the Jack of all trades market category that can be defined by your photo generalists :events, weddings, other general applications.
9 FPS, however is adequate for this category. Well, 10 would be nice, but... let’s keep it at 9fps.

And then you have your 20mp/16fps action monster cam.
As you can see, there is nothing to do with technology limitation or holding back on it here. It is all about market segmentation. So once again, 5D V will be a 9fps - ish camera.
Hi res R - 6-ish FPS Camera

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
You may consider the following:

6FPS vs 9FPS vs 16 FPS:

We're talking apples and oranges. I fully get your approach to segmentation. I'm just saying Canon won't dole out max awesomeness for each segment because price points exist.

I'm saying other non-cinema product lines that cost less than $6499 (which is all of them) will not get the full 400 MP/s throughput that the 1DX3 is offering.

So the 5D5 may get 9 fps, but it won't get a 400 / 9 = 44.4 MP sensor to go with it. It'll be more like 36 x 9 or something. Prepare to be let down on 5-series and 6-series throughput, because that's what Canon does. Max possible throughput appears to be something that Canon will continue to demand top dollar for.

Hope I'm wrong -- a 44 x 9 5D5 would be pretty dope. But it isn't happening.

- A

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
We're talking apples and oranges. I fully get your approach to segmentation. I'm just saying Canon won't dole out max awesomeness for each segment because price points exist.

I'm saying other non-cinema product lines that cost less than $6499 (which is all of them) will not get the full 400 MP/s throughput that the 1DX3 is offering.

So the 5D5 may get 9 fps, but it won't get a 400 / 9 = 44.4 MP sensor to go with it. It'll be more like 36 x 9 or something. Prepare to be let down on 5-series and 6-series throughput, because that's what Canon does. Max possible throughput appears to be something that Canon will continue to demand top dollar for.

Hope I'm wrong -- a 44 x 9 5D5 would be pretty dope. But it isn't happening.

- A
5DV at 44Mp is not happening full stop. Done and dusted. What is my current 5DIV? 30Mp? I don’t remember. I do not believe that there is a demand for higher than 36-38-ish Mp sensor in this product segment.
40Mp is a killing it. Let see what Canon will come up with.
They are getting more aggressive lately due to competition. I mean at 38Mp-42Mp I would trade in my 5D IV bodies in a snap :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Nope. Not happening
Just FYI the 1DX III is not Canon's throughput beast. At 400 MP/s it stays in the dust behind the EOS M6 II which comes in at 455 MP/s thanks to 32.5 MP 14 FPS.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Was just about to post this. Wonder how it bodes for future RF development.
The 1DX III looks to me like they went with a shutter that supports 20 FPS (which is still insane) and the resolution could have been higher if the pros they talked to had wanted it. At 24 MP it would have had slightly more throughput that the M6 II.

But they went with the lower res and probably didn't want to put any electronic shutter only frame rates in there, so it ended up not going as far as it could.

The fact that the M6 II got so much love despite the price point indicates to me that the high res R could become a serious step up over the 5Ds series and if it features a similar crop burst mode, could be a 7D III replacement for the people willing to give EVF another shot. Luckily, we only have to wait about a month to find out if that could truly be the case. Might be to good to be true though, and this is still Canon...

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sounds like a lot of people wanted something other than a 1DX.
They wanted a slice of Sony A9 mixed into their 1DX.

The 1DX III looks great, but even in this top end model Canon demonstrates that they can pull of features like focus at the edges, in near darkness or eye AF at much lower price points in live view, yet they are not able to offer it in an OVF even in the highest end OVF they ever did (and likely ever will do). It will be interesting to see what we get once the 1DX mirrorless equivalent arrives.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The 1DX III looks to me like they went with a shutter that supports 20 FPS (which is still insane) and the resolution could have been higher if the pros they talked to had wanted it. At 24 MP it would have had slightly more throughput that the M6 II.

But they went with the lower res and probably didn't want to put any electronic shutter only frame rates in there, so it ended up not going as far as it could.

The fact that the M6 II got so much love despite the price point indicates to me that the high res R could become a serious step up over the 5Ds series and if it features a similar crop burst mode, could be a 7D III replacement for the people willing to give EVF another shot. Luckily, we only have to wait about a month to find out if that could truly be the case. Might be to good to be true though, and this is still Canon...

It's like . . . and bear in mind, I'm a 1DX-series spectator, but . . . the thing we hear over and over is that the processors in the 1DX line have to be "so powerful" in order to support the "massive amount of data" the camera is handling, and yet, the DIGIC X processor is pushing fewer MP/sec than a processor in a camera priced under 1K.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm speculating out loud, not making an argument here, but does the 1DX mk. III really have so much horsepower, or is this just marketing?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0