Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Those who complain about lack of IBIS - contrary to, say, SONY, almost all Canon RF L lenses have IS.
28-70, 50 1.2, 85 1.2 are the only exceptions. But when you shoot video with so shallow DoF, you use tripod/gimbal/stabilizer anyway.
YEs..but IBIS plus Lens IS combined is even better.

And remember, this R5C is supposed to be for both Video AND Stills.

You could lock off the IBIS if you wanted for video but switch it on for stills.....and these days, IBIS is pretty much considered a commodity at this price range for stills.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
IBIS isn't a revolutionary change as from horses to cars. It's more like adding cruise control to a car which already has an automatic transmission. It gets you a stop or 2, which is less effective than any lens w/IS, or you can get with little perceptible quality loss by increasing the ISO 1 or 2 stops in 99% of circumstances, or you can use a wider aperture to maintain a faster frame speed - something you may need to do anyway, as IBIS only stops camera shake, not a subject's motion!

I don't mean to suggest that IBIS is as big a change as horses to cars, but if that's the battle you want to fight then you do you. The point here is that there is no reason to move backward and there's no motive outside of profits to remove IBIS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It appears besides the Canon Cinema cameras not having IBIS, but rather digital stabilization, neither does the Red Raptor $25,000, or the Arri Alexa Mini $50,000. These cripple hammers are running amuck.
Not a fair comparison...the Reds and Alexa's are one trick pony cinema cameras.

This R5C is supposed to be a hybrid....you should have IBIS on it for the still side of the camera....just lock it off for video if you don't want it on video.
That would have made it a hybrid best of both worlds.

That's all people are saying.

In this day in age, for stills at this price...IBIS is an expected given.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I don't need 8K video directly, but I do want the 4K HQ that comes from the 8K sensor. How long can you shoot 4K HQ for? At the R5's launch if I recall it was pretty limited number of minutes you got before the camera overheated. Has this improved?
You can shoot for 25 minutes 4KHQ, and that number goes down with subsequent cool downs. I have found that the 4KHQ is less prone to (takes longer) overheating than 8K and 4K120. Firmware updates have improved recording times but not by anything significant.
I also heard of reports where you take a bunch of photos and then switch to video only to find that the R5 won't take any video due to overheating from the photos you've taken. Is this still an issue post firmware? Has this improved?
Yes, as any usage contributes to the heat budget needed for the higher bitrate recording modes. The firmware updates have significantly improved recovery times from early iterations. The best thing is you can actually have control over recovery times which wasn't an early option. Put the body on a fan, in front of an AC, in the refrigerator if you so dare and you get recording times back.
I'm genuinely asking b/c I have found very little info on these firmware updates and what they're actually doing.. so if I can record up to 25-30min 4k HQ without thermal limits being reached, and if I can freely take a bunch of photos and then switch to video and immediately record 25-30 min 4k HQ without reaching thermal limits, then I'll buy an R5 today!
No, for this specific use case I would say the R5 is not for you. If you can give up on HQ, or had a more sporadic video shooting style (short clips of 4KHQ here and there), then the R5 is wonderful. Shooting photos all day, and then shifting to video will give you a reduced video shooting budget.

And just to let you know - I'm willing to trade off on certain things - I'm OK with the micro HDMI for instance, or the 7-8s to switch over from video to photo and vice-versa. But IBIS is something folks need for photos - you know - that other use case that we want to use this camera for. Surely you're not suggesting photographers use a gimbal for photo taking, right? :)
I agree on the photo side, the losing of the IBIS is a bummer. On another post I said, it is one of the biggest game changers for the R5 as a "photography" camera. On video, it's nice to have, but not critical and not even preferred in some instances, which is why, in conjunction with the price point, I can understand why it was omitted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I don't need 8K video directly, but I do want the 4K HQ that comes from the 8K sensor. How long can you shoot 4K HQ for? At the R5's launch if I recall it was pretty limited number of minutes you got before the camera overheated. Has this improved?

If you need longer takes and you need IBIS, add an Atomos Ninja V.

But IBIS is something folks need for photos - you know - that other use case that we want to use this camera for. Surely you're not suggesting photographers use a gimbal for photo taking, right? :)
How about using the correct shutter speed, and/or an IS lens? Which is what we were doing in Canon-land all the way up until July, 2020. (And some of us still are.)

Again I'll point out that Canon likely had no choice. "Locked IBIS" is not going to have the same heat transfer. The R5 sensor may be fantastic in IQ and capability but it runs hot as evidenced by photo mode impacting available video time. Even if someone else can do it that doesn't mean Canon's sensor runs as cool as theirs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to be clear, you don't have ANY equipment that shoots 4k now, and you're worried about 8k oversampled 4k? All you have to do is shoot an R5 with a Ninja V+, problem solved. Many have proven you can shoot the non-HQ 4k - which is not time-limited - and get 99.9% the same result with some sharpening in post.

"I also heard of reports where you take a bunch of photos and then switch to video only to find that the R5 won't take any video due to overheating from the photos you've taken. Is this still an issue post firmware? Has this improved?"

This is FALSE. The ONLY heat-limited modes are 120p ones, 4k HQ, 4k 60p, and 8k. The camera will never, ever stop you from shooting standard def 4k 30p/24p or 1080p. And as previously stated, you will almost certainly not see a visible difference with a processed file, which you will be doing anyway if you're shooting in CLog3/CLog.
You can ad also 1080p 100/120p to this list. At least my R5 does overheat and does not wanna work in this mode when overheated.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Just to be clear, you don't have ANY equipment that shoots 4k now, and you're worried about 8k oversampled 4k? All you have to do is shoot an R5 with a Ninja V+, problem solved. Many have proven you can shoot the non-HQ 4k - which is not time-limited - and get 99.9% the same result with some sharpening in post.

"I also heard of reports where you take a bunch of photos and then switch to video only to find that the R5 won't take any video due to overheating from the photos you've taken. Is this still an issue post firmware? Has this improved?"

This is FALSE. The ONLY heat-limited modes are 120p ones, 4k HQ, 4k 60p, and 8k. The camera will never, ever stop you from shooting standard def 4k 30p/24p or 1080p. And as previously stated, you will almost certainly not see a visible difference with a processed file, which you will be doing anyway if you're shooting in CLog3/CLog.
I think you misunderstood the question like I initially did. He's asking if the video shooting (in 4KHQ based on the context) is hindered after shooting photos. The answer to that is, "Yes" it is. You may not be able to shoot 4KHQ after taking a bunch of pictures. But I agree that there's a bunch of misinformation that the camera overheats taking photos, or the camera is unusable. People see the overheating signal when taking photos and they panic. Nothing to worry about if you don't plan to use the higher bitrate recording modes. The overheating signal happens when taking photos only because of whatever the default recording mode is in C2 happens to be a 4K60/HQ and higher recording mode. Stick to 4K regular and below and the camera is only limited by the 29 minute limit and battery life.

I do think it's funny how people think they have to have 4K oversampled like it's always been a non-starter.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I believe Canon has released three bodies over 12 years that meet the definition of "perfection":
1. Canon 5D Mark II (2008)
2. Canon 1DC (2012)
3. Canon 1DX Mark III (2021)

I believe the "crippling" is mostly due to Canon's continued efforts to protect their Cinema EOS line at all costs. This release is no different in a crowded field with the C70 and original R5 - its safe to assume that a perfect R5C may have eliminated any need to buy an R5 at all.

I do have hope for the R5 Mark II - perhaps it will be the spiritual successor to the 5D Mark II? Maybe?
Canon removed IBIS to cripple the R5c to protect their cine cameras which have...no IBIS? :cautious:

Canon is clearly ill-fated!

Also: if the R5c had IBIS it still wouldn't be weather sealed with a fan. Price/sealing would still sell the R5.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I do think it's funny how people think they have to have 4K oversampled like it's always been a non-starter.
If I can't have 8k60p RAW with IBIS, no fan, full weather sealing, and an internal battery that runs for 8 hours then I'm DONE with Canon. I'll just switch to...um...who can do that again?

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
I don't mean to suggest that IBIS is as big a change as horses to cars, but if that's the battle you want to fight then you do you. The point here is that there is no reason to move backward and there's no motive outside of profits to remove IBIS.
Absolutely wrong I think. It's pretty obvious there was a reason to remove IBIS. That being heat. Given that they had to re-engineer this camera specifically around heat dissipation, there's a very obvious issue with IBIS, as it limits the size and functionality of any heat sink attached to the sensor. A bigger reason, though is that big red C on the body. That means it's a "CinemaEos" product and....welll...nothing in that line has IBIS...probably for reason # 1. Frankly, Ibis is always problematic in video...it never works right, as it is really designed to stabilize the sensor for stills. We all have to step back and realize this camera is always going to be a compromise because it is a hybrid. The lead feature is 8k, unlimited record times, and Cinema Raw Light. That's the camera they are selling you. I you want that...then you live without IBIS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Not a fair comparison...the Reds and Alexa's are one trick pony cinema cameras.

This R5C is supposed to be a hybrid....you should have IBIS on it for the still side of the camera....just lock it off for video if you don't want it on video.
That would have made it a hybrid best of both worlds.

That's all people are saying.
And those people are clueless regarding the thermal issues involved.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I completely agree. To call the R5C "junk" is clearly ridiculous...

...one of the fundamental advantages of MILCs is IBIS. Omitting it can only be for product segmentation and cost reducing purposes...
Well, we really don't know that do we? Others have posted plausible explanations as to why it might have been a design issue.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...its safe to assume that a perfect R5C may have eliminated any need to buy an R5 at all...
Because I really want to carry around a wildlife-centric camera like the R5 with the added weight and bulk of the R5 Cinema.

Upvote 0

Refraction

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
As someone evaluating the R5 for stills + a _little_ bit of video (80% stills/20% video or so), I decided to wait on the R5 C just to see if the extra video features would sweeten the pot. Three points convinced me that for my use case, the R5 will be ideal:

1. Lack of IBIS
  2. The camera just got a _lot_ bigger in back
  3. $500 more for features that _I_ won't need (of course, YMMV)
Also you will need to wait 8 seconds when going from photo to video or vice versa.

Upvote 0
Canon removed IBIS to cripple the R5c to protect their cine cameras which have...no IBIS? :cautious:

Canon is clearly ill-fated!

Also: if the R5c had IBIS it still wouldn't be weather sealed with a fan. Price/sealing would still sell the R5.
It is actually weather sealed

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
This comments section reads like people expecting the perfect camera in every situation. What canon gave us, as with the the previous versions of this camera, was a cinema camera that can do stills. The only difference is the base body is one that formerly had IBIS.
This isn't a major decision here. If you're a video person, get the R5C, if you're a stills person, get the R5. If you're a Hybrid person that's primarily stills, get an R5. If you're primarily video, get the R5C.
Instead we get a lot of people who'd probably have never purchased it going "well if it had this, if it had that." Same story, different camera.
Personally, I'll never buy this camera. I will however, get an R5 in the coming year.

Also, if you're a wedding photog claiming you need to shoot video in 8k60, you deserve a good face slap.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I think IBIS on the R5 is a game changer, and Canon did such a good job with it that its omission from the R5C is simply absurd.
When you can take an older lens, like the original EF 50 f1.0 (which was known to be difficult to use) and achieve incredibly sharp results due to IBIS, the feature really speaks for itself.
I'm sorry, but if you literally can't get sharp results with any mechanically sound lens without IBIS assistance, you're doing photography wrong.

Upvote 0