Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If you believe that explain the card choice in the A1? Explain the lack of internal raw video. Explain the lack of DCI.
R5C takes CFExpress-B and the latest fastest SD cards.
A1 takes CFExpress-A and latest fastest SD cards.
Z9 takes 2 CFExpress-B cards.

Doesn't that make the A1 and R5C equals in terms of recording media?

Z9 leads as both slots take the fastest currently available cards AFAIK.

Is internal RAW video really *that* important to the professional videographer, who will usually have the camera on a rig anyway?

Remember I'm not a video expert, so please correct me if I'm making the wrong assumptions... There are probably a large number of potential purchasers who are not yet video experts, but have aspirations to be, so anything that clears up misconceptions is valuable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The Z9 doesn't seem to have any holes right now. It's cheaper than the A1. The R5C seems you really should budget to add at least the grip and I assume a spare battery. Pushing it pretty close to the Z9. But we don't know what NRaw will be like. They haven't really told us what the other video upgrades are supposed to be. The rumours sound good but we won't know until the firmware shows up. The Z9 is really aimed at what they think the R1 will be. Some of the features will be very useful for hybrid shooting. Grabbing 8K stills for example or the 120 FPS JPG. You'd expect the R1 to at least match those.
Yes, I'd expect the R1 to match or beat both the A1 and Z9 in most regards, although it would surprise me if it had more than 40MP. They could give it "just" 6K video - possibly as a compromise to enable ultra-fast burst speeds. Just speculating, of course.

The price will be very interesting - I'd guess around £5500 - they have to be careful to keep the specification fairly competitive, but also have to keep it competitive in price with the Z9. If not, I think some will defect to Nikon. I personally prefer some of the Nikon Z lenses to their nearest equivalents from Canon RF, for stills work. It's a close contest and could go either way, for people willing to switch systems one way or the other.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
As much as people talk about instantly flipping between photos and video in the moment, from my own experience at events, it kind of sucks. Because you often end up in the wrong mode at the wrong time. I recently did a birthday party with the chaos of adults and kids mixed together in a hectic environment. And for the perfect moments, you would like to both take photos and video simultaneously. Actually, for those moments, it would be great to be able to take photos while recording video. You can do this with smartphones.

And that's why I carry 2 bodies. If I'm doing photos, I'll have a friend do video. Or vice versa. The unfortunate thing with carrying 2 bodies is that unless you have a huge budget for everything, one body will often be much better than the other body. I wish I had 2 R5 cams but I don't.
I don’t shoot much video, so I don’t recall details. At least one camera I own allows you to take stills while shooting video. That might be the T3i. i don’t think it is true of my 6D2.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Thanks for being a voice of reason in a sea of drama queens.

Amused by your comment about needing a lot of batteries. One of the first things I wondered about was what the battery life was going to be on this baby, especially since the battery has to run a fan and power accessories through the new hotshoe. I doubt if the external grip will fit the new design and it may not be practical even if it does.
It takes the same grip as the R5 and can be powered externally too

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Really? I was hoping we’d get that over on the c70, but sadly no. Really surprised that’s it’s not in this.

Anyone know of any technical limitations as to why they would omit it from the cinema side on the R5 C?
Canon uses a different AF system for cinema because it's better suited to video not because they can't use the stills version

The DPAF system used in their Cinema line is in no way inferior (just different) to the DPAF2 used in their stills cameras, it's optimised for Professional Cinema Production

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
There is one more R5C limitation - internal battery cannot provide juice to the lens mount in its most challenging video modes. I.e. no IS or AF.
I am curious is this resolved with add-on grip whenever we see one, or only with external power source.
The R5 grip fits but external power supply is needed for 8K/60p only , for all other modes including 8K/30p the internal battery is all that's needed although it won't last very long :ROFLMAO:
Also I think all cinema lenses are manual focus anyway.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I don't need 8K video directly, but I do want the 4K HQ that comes from the 8K sensor. How long can you shoot 4K HQ for? At the R5's launch if I recall it was pretty limited number of minutes you got before the camera overheated. Has this improved?

I also heard of reports where you take a bunch of photos and then switch to video only to find that the R5 won't take any video due to overheating from the photos you've taken. Is this still an issue post firmware? Has this improved?

I'm genuinely asking b/c I have found very little info on these firmware updates and what they're actually doing.. so if I can record up to 25-30min 4k HQ without thermal limits being reached, and if I can freely take a bunch of photos and then switch to video and immediately record 25-30 min 4k HQ without reaching thermal limits, then I'll buy an R5 today!

And just to let you know - I'm willing to trade off on certain things - I'm OK with the micro HDMI for instance, or the 7-8s to switch over from video to photo and vice-versa. But IBIS is something folks need for photos - you know - that other use case that we want to use this camera for. Surely you're not suggesting photographers use a gimbal for photo taking, right? :)
The R5C can shoot unlimited time without overheating in all video modes including 4KHQ and if you raise your shutter speed above 1/500 you don't need ibis at all. IBIS is handy for shooting things that don't move in low light but any action photography needs high shutter speeds

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Canon removed IBIS to cripple the R5c to protect their cine cameras which have...no IBIS? :cautious:

Canon is clearly ill-fated!

Also: if the R5c had IBIS it still wouldn't be weather sealed with a fan. Price/sealing would still sell the R5.
Apparently the R5C has same weather sealing as the R5 :cool:

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It takes the same grip as the R5 and can be powered externally too
That's good to know. I wonder how that grip will fit (ergonomically) on the R5 C. On the other hand, I guess the vertical controls really won't matter for video use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
That's good to know. I wonder how that grip will fit (ergonomically) on the R5 C. On the other hand, I guess the vertical controls really won't matter for video use.
I did some video for my in-laws wedding many years ago and I automatically switched to protrait for part of it without thinking (I wasn't used to video much) which looked pretty hilarious on the play back :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The DPAF system used in their Cinema line is in no way inferior to the DPAF2 used in their stills cameras, it's optimised for Professional Cinema Production
I’m not sure that’s true. Canon’s Rudy Winston wrote:
Whether you’re an amateur still photographer or a one-person video production crew, focus is critical to a successful shoot. … That’s why, in 2013, Canon introduced Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus. We believe it’s a game changer for both video and still shooters. … Dual Pixel AutoFocus first appeared in the EOS 70D. … Dual Pixel Auto Focus was later introduced to the Cinema EOS line in the C100 and C300 cameras, as well as on the 7D Mark II and several other more recent models including the EOS M5 and M6.

So, it certainly sounds like the DPAF in Cinema EOS bodies is the same DPAF on xxD and other bodies, that was introduced in 2013. That suggests it’s not specifically ‘optimized for professional cinema production’ as you stated. Has Canon stated anything that supports your statement?

Canon states:
The latest version of this, Dual Pixel CMOS AF II, was introduced in 2020 in the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6.

Seems to me that if there’s a MkII of DPAF, it would be an improvement over the original. Of course, as I suggested previously, those improvements may be only for still photography and may be detrimental for video AF, and Movie Servo AF in the R3, R5 and R6 may actually be the original DPAF.

Upvote 0

Ignoring the fact the A1 costs more than the R5C type A cards max out at 160GB. That's pretty useless if you really want to record 8k. Or even really using the high FPS modes in stills. Plus they're half the speed of type B. In automotive terms it's the equivalent of putting the gas tank from a Toyota Yaris on a F150 big block V8.

Is internal RAW video really *that* important to the professional videographer, who will usually have the camera on a rig anyway?

Raw has nothing to do with being on a rig. Plenty of people shoot raw stills in spite of putting the camera on a tripod. Raw video gives you some of the same advantages (and disadvantages) of raw stills. Control of WB and ISO in post.

Upvote 0
I’m not sure that’s true. Canon’s Rudy Winston wrote:
Whether you’re an amateur still photographer or a one-person video production crew, focus is critical to a successful shoot. … That’s why, in 2013, Canon introduced Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus. We believe it’s a game changer for both video and still shooters. … Dual Pixel AutoFocus first appeared in the EOS 70D. … Dual Pixel Auto Focus was later introduced to the Cinema EOS line in the C100 and C300 cameras, as well as on the 7D Mark II and several other more recent models including the EOS M5 and M6.

So, it certainly sounds like the DPAF in Cinema EOS bodies is the same DPAF on xxD and other bodies, that was introduced in 2013. That suggests it’s not specifically ‘optimized for professional cinema production’ as you stated. Has Canon stated anything that supports your statement?

Canon states:
The latest version of this, Dual Pixel CMOS AF II, was introduced in 2020 in the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6.

Seems to me that if there’s a MkII of DPAF, it would be an improvement over the original. Of course, as I suggested previously, those improvements may be only for still photography and may be detrimental for video AF, and Movie Servo AF in the R3, R5 and R6 may actually be the original DPAF.

I remember seeing the C70 reviews and a guy mentioned how it had useful AF modes like Face Only AF where, for example, a person walk out of frame and the camera doesn't hunt and focus on the background. Something that you can do with manual focusing but is hard to do with typical camera AF. That's something the R5C has but the R5 doesn't.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Apparently the R5C has same weather sealing as the R5 :cool:
Interesting point. Fitting a fan may have caused Canon to pay even *more* attention to sealing the R5C against moisture.

But dust is a different kettle of fish. The cooling fans on my PC (which is obviously always kept indoors) are always getting clogged up with caked-on dust, despite it being always in an indoor environment.

The fan on the R5C, which will probably spend most of its life being used outdoors, will clearly be exposed to a great deal more dust. It's difficult to imagine how dust can be kept away from the fan without impeding the airflow that it is designed to create. I imagine that after a few months use, the fan would get quite clogged, requiring quite regular visits to the service centre.

Upvote 0

Remember I'm not a video expert, so please correct me if I'm making the wrong assumptions... There are probably a large number of potential purchasers who are not yet video experts, but have aspirations to be, so anything that clears up misconceptions is valuable.
The A1 doesn't need the fastest bandwidth/recording speeds as it is not raw.
The R5c should be the same as the R5 in that the higher bandwith speeds will only record to the CFe card with proxies to the SD card.
I am not sure about "leadership" as it depends on whether you need to record at the higher speeds/raw or not. Note that the Ninja V+ won't record 4k120 and "only" 8k raw lite.

Upvote 0