Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
4k 10bit 4:2:2 with clog. If it's true, I can sell my 1dx ii and EOS R!

two different cameras with two different intents. I own both of those as well. Perhaps, like you, I also bought the Eos R for its video feature set (And to replace my aging and moisture damaged 5D3) If all the Dx3 will be (so far as video) is an Eos R in a bigger box, then keep the R. I dunno what sort of video work you do, but mounting and balancing the DX2 on a gimbal (i have the Ronin M) is a PAIN In the butt compared to the R. Even if I were to upgrade to the DX3 from my DX2, I’d still keep the R. Might wanna think on it too.

All that said, There’s a lot of sizzle here in this release with no steak yet (so far as more detailed specifics go). If the sensor goes to 24MP and some sharp improvements in the higher ISOs, then it may be worth the plunge.

otherwise this will be a great upgrade to the original 1DX users out there.

Maybe Neuro finally upgrades?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Since I taken loads of crap on this forum for having the gall to suggest that Canon's autofocus system had room for improvement, I'm taking great delight in seeing that the one thing Canon emphasized above all else in this announcement was improvement to its autofocus system.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if they will release any more EF lenses. I would imagine it will deal quite a heavy blow to sales figures of this and the 5D5 if their associated EF lens line is effectively dead. I understand they are probably aimed more at people who already own enough EF lenses but are not ready to jump into mirrorless rather than people starting from scratch, but still it would be a good idea to introduce a couple of updates on some of the older lens designs just to keep the EF mount alive until DSLRs get phased out for good.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I realy hope it got a truely silent shutter. For weddings this is a big downer on the 1DX II, which is realy loud, even in "silent" mode :)
Most times in weddings one can't hear thmeselves think, so I wonder how a problem it is anyway. All in all, it say it has elecronic shutter as well, so you can use that via the live-view and forget about the mirror clicking.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Most times in weddings one can't hear thmeselves think, so I wonder how a problem it is anyway. All in all, it say it has elecronic shutter as well, so you can use that via the live-view and forget about the mirror clicking.
The one time I truly wished for a REAL silent mode was when, working for the orchestra, I got chased out of an auditiorium by a freaking classical-music lunatic. I don't think he heard anything, but just seeing a photographer dressed in black slowly making his way down to the railing of the nearly empty balcony sent this guy into an insane rage. I was brought before the theater manager and ordered to take some shots with my 5DIII in silent mode. He concluded I had disrupted the whole theater and I was tossed out on my gear-end.

I really wish I had taken a shot of the guy having a hissy fit. Or a swing at him. Ah, well, that was six years ago. Time to just put it behind me?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I wonder if they will release any more EF lenses. I would imagine it will deal quite a heavy blow to sales figures of this and the 5D5 if their associated EF lens line is effectively dead. I understand they are probably aimed more at people who already own enough EF lenses but are not ready to jump into mirrorless rather than people starting from scratch, but still it would be a good idea to introduce a couple of updates on some of the older lens designs just to keep the EF mount alive until DSLRs get phased out for good.

While sales of existing EF lenses are clearly going to continue for years, development of new ones seems doubtful. A few "updates" that might play better with the Rf mount might be all we see.

And, as far as RF lenses go, I don't believe Canon can generate much excitement about any new ones until they release a more well-rounded, pro-level mirrorless (even it that means just better sealing and TWO slots), one that is better suited for action and wildlife--and even lively events. This is only my opinion, but I have the R and have been using it daily for six weeks now. It is great for static or predictably moving subjects, but I'm not bringing it to an outdoor event with dancing, juggling, etc. this weekend because it is not working great for me with such activities.

But wouldn't most photographers and organizations purchasing a 1DXIII already have a nice stable of lenses? Or at least be completely satisfied with the current (and magnificent) catalog?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They have a couple mockup units at Photo Plus Expp NY. So far they won’t let me touch one. Other than the port covers, the only control difference I see is larger more robust AF On buttons which should be an improvement. Looks a little “ergo gripper” but I’d have to hold it to be sure. So far no additional info other than what’s in the press release.

edit: af on are also af point joysticks. Didn’t get that previously. That is a huge improvement for back button focusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Since I taken loads of crap on this forum for having the gall to suggest that Canon's autofocus system had room for improvement, I'm taking great delight in seeing that the one thing Canon emphasized above all else in this announcement was improvement to its autofocus system.

When they mention "Deep Learning" I wonder if that means some kind of machine learning? That requires a lot of processing power, so it sounds like they really upped the power in this thing.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The one time I truly wished for a REAL silent mode was when I got chased out of an auditiorium by a freaking classical-music lunatic. I don't think he heard anything, but just seeing a photographer dressed in black slowly making his way down to the railing of the nearly empty balcony sent this guy into an insane rage. I was brought before the theater manager and ordered to take some shots with my 5DIII in silent mode. He concluded I had disrupted the whole theater and I was tossed out on my gear-end.

I really wish I had taken a shot of the guy having a hissy fit. Or a swing at him. Ah, well, that was six years ago. Time to just put it behind me?
Well, I was once in a performance, and the anouncer said "no photogarphy during the show", and I wished I have life-view on that camera so I could just put in on my knee, use the 100-300 lens that I had at that time and just shoot un-noticed. many people used cellphones wihtout flash, and that was the ONLY time I envied cellphone photographers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, I was once in a performance, and the anouncer said "no photogarphy during the show", and I wished I have life-view on that camera so I could just put in on my knee, use the 100-300 lens that I had at that time and just shoot un-noticed. many people used cellphones wihtout flash, and that was the ONLY time I envied cellphone photographers.
I was the orchestra's photographer!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0