Canon officially announces the EOS RP

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
I am amused that DPR tried their best to downplay the EOS RP while emphasizing the release of the Fuji cropper . Even their hands-on article was full of veiled insults (nitpicking on the negatives), as if it was a crime to offer the lowest-priced FF camera on the market. And they have the most dedicated Sony trolls there (usernames: Ronin67 & DPReview007, prolly the same person), responding to literally every comment about the RP, as if they're getting paid every time they do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I cannot stand his voice longer than 15 seconds.
Do you mean Jared Polin? If yes, I join your club , I need a tranquilizer only to survive the first seconds of his loud big ego intro (and I love very loud music btw). But I am not an American guy, so it is a question of culture.

For those still liking to read longer texts: Bryan Carnathan has his review out, like always it is very detailed and worth reading

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-RP.aspx

Looks like the RP is a mixed bag, but nicely small and at least a capable stills camera for non-action shooting, e.g. street. I don't mind perfect eye AF, I still can focus manually on an eye if I want (btw sharpness - at least sometimes - is a bourgeois concept anyway, according to Henry Cartier-Bresson :cool:). The video is Canon alike, again, a really mixed bag, I understand why video guys are more attracted by Sony. But gonna take a closer look, the RP could make a nice addition to my gear. The R is still a bit too expensive for what it delivers IMO.

Upvote 0
[...]
Maybe at 1150 EUR without grip and EF adapter - I am not interested in the standard EF adapter but the control ring adapter.

Shurely NOT at the german prices of 1500 EUR with adapter only! This is sadly too much for me because I had to spend extra 200 EUR for the adapter I want which results in 1700 EUR total payment.
Why? I do not need FF at the moment for stills and the video features aren't essentially better compared to M50 for my use cases. And 1700 EUR ist too much money for just having fun with a new camera.

I would pay easily 3000 EUR for a FF model with FF 4k and the full plethora of standard video modes like 24p in all resolutions. 24 MPix and 5 fps with servo etc. were absolutely sufficient. IQ and movie quality count for me including operability. Why I would pay 3000 EUR for such a camera? - Future proofness .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I am amused that DPR tried their best to downplay the EOS RP while emphasizing the release of the Fuji cropper . Even their hands-on article was full of veiled insults, as if it was a crime to offer the lowest-priced FF camera on the market. And they have the most dedicated Sony trolls there (usernames: Ronin67 & DPReview007, prolly the same person), responding to literally every comment about the RP, as if they're getting paid every time they do that.

DPR is a really toxic place, in particular for Canon users since some years. I only go there when I want to take a little pick on Sony trolls (it is so easy...). I also think that the lab based concept of such photosites is coming to an end, because now all digital cameras are impressively capable, including those in better smartphones. Today, the biggest barrier on the way to make good images mostly is the human brain behind the camera. Therefore I think one can learn much more from visiting sites dedicated to real life photography or reading really good printed photozines and books.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Looks a great camera for the enthusiast...

But where is the 5D replacement? In August it will be 3 years since it was released with no real rumors of a replacement this year?

The R cameras are intriguing but with AF that isn't stellar especially eye AF and single card slots its a non starter for anyone but enthusiasts and of course the Pros are left in the dust as usual.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
DPR is a really toxic place, in particular for Canon users since some years. I only go there when I want to take a little pick on Sony trolls (it is so easy...).

DPR has ruined their objectivity by pushing Sony, Sony, Sony...dynamic range, dynamic range, dynamic range...and the worst: ISO invariance, ISO invariance, ISO invariance. (No one, any where, ever has stuck their camera on one ISO and either relied on an EC dial or mentally adjusted their meter readings in full manual for each exposure. It would be a stupid way to work which would also cost you the biggest advantage of an EVF if using a mirrorless: exposure preview.)

They've also been caught twice using subpar RAW conversion settings on Canon files to make the practical impact of DR differences seem larger than they really were.

I also think that the lab based concept of such photosites is coming to an end, because now all digital cameras are impressively capable, including those in better smartphones. Today, the biggest barrier on the way to make good images mostly is the human brain behind the camera. Therefore I think one can learn much more from visiting sites dedicated to real life photography or reading really good printed photozines and books.

Amen. I wonder if they latched onto DR as a differentiator when it became apparent that even entry level APS-C DSLRs had the resolution and low light performance necessary to cover most photographers most of the time.

That or Sony paid them under the table.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Amen. I wonder if they latched onto DR as a differentiator when it became apparent that even entry level APS-C DSLRs had the resolution and low light performance necessary to cover most photographers most of the time.

That or Sony paid them under the table.

I wouldn't expect them to accept bribe from a camera maker, including Sony. I think most of their staff simply is this sort of hipster loving Sony (and their image galleries often are ... erm ... I would call it always photography, to be frank). What I really wonder about is that Amazon, their owner, lets them put down Canon products so much, since those products still make a substantial part of Amazon camera sales. Maybe Sony offers Amazon special discounts, and Canon does not, maybe Amazon just doesn't care. We simply don't know.

More than ten years ago DPR was really a good place to go, in the time of Phil and Joanna Askey. Lab tests then still were important for us users since digital imaging technology was far from being mature, and in DPR threads you could get useful tips from other users. But that's over, in particular for Canon users, because all threads even only mentioning "Canon" briefly are flooded with troll comments. It is a toxic place for Canon users, definitely, even for non-fanboy users like me. I do not identify myself with a brand, so I don't care much about hate, but reading ten minutes of comments in those threads simply isn't good for anyone's mood.

I use different brands, but what I still like about Canon is that their gear is rugged and reliable enough to survive even hardcore wildlife photography (much more than the Nikon gear we have), most lenses are well made, and their camera interfaces work ergonomically well for me (besides a few tweaks). Plus, I always liked Canon colors before everybody started to talk about "Canon color science", which I am sure goes back to Ming Thein's 5DSR review in 2015 https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/08/19/long-term-canon-5dsr/. I simply love it when I can use out-of-camera images without losing lifetime for heavy post-processing, which in contrast the output our Nikon DLSRs often requires (it's getting better with newer models).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I wouldn't expect them to accept bribe from a camera maker, including Sony. I think most of their staff simply is this sort of hipster loving Sony (and their image galleries often are ... erm ... I would call it always photography, to be frank).

Agreed. That part of my statement was sarcasm.

Your post was spot on.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] Maybe Sony offers Amazon special discounts, and Canon does not, maybe Amazon just doesn't care. We simply don't know.[..]

Instead of special discounts, the margin for the retailer is probably different for Canon/Sony/Nikon. Low margin, make it up in volume versus high margin, low volume.
If that's the case, only amazon knows if it's worth pushing one over the other.

Upvote 0
Looks a great camera for the enthusiast...

But where is the 5D replacement? In August it will be 3 years since it was released with no real rumors of a replacement this year?

The R cameras are intriguing but with AF that isn't stellar especially eye AF and single card slots its a non starter for anyone but enthusiasts and of course the Pros are left in the dust as usual.

That's not a terrible cycle. It was 4ish years between the 7D and 7D II, and 6D and 6D II. The rumors tell of a more pro-oriented body this year.

Upvote 0
No 1080p 23.976 fps!?!?!?! For those who don't do video this is the equivalent of not having raw in a stills camera. The whole DSLR video revolution started when Canon put in 23.976 to the 5D Mark II as a firmware update in 2008. 24fps is THE cinematic framerate.

While it's certainly disappointing to content creators and enthusiast videographers, let's keep perspective that this is an entry-level camera aimed squarely at amateur photographers that might otherwise be looking at a Rebel or other crop-sensor camera. For the market this body is aimed at, the vast majority are likely using video mode to shoot their child's birthday party, piano recital or soccer game. I doubt the phrase "cinematic frame rate" has ever crossed their minds...

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
This is an entry-level camera aimed squarely at amateur photographers that might otherwise be looking at a Rebel or other crop-sensor camera.

*sigh*

Come on, apply some common sense. Typical picks for the amateur photographer:

80D list price $1199 rebated to $999
77D list price $899 rebated to $699
200D list price $549 rebated to $499

The RP is nearly twice the price of the 77D. Someone looking at a crop camera is unlikely to decide to double their body budget just for FF. I don't know who it's aimed at but it's not amateurs on a limited budget. Probably the rich 1%ers on this site looking to expand their travel kit... which alone is more extensive than most amateur's fits-one-bag-kit.

And let's say they've come into some money, perhaps an inheritance:

Canon 6D list price $1699 rebated to $999
Canon 6D Mark II list price $1799 rebated to $1499

The RP still doesn't look like a bargain. I laughed at Bryan Carnathan calling it 'ultra-low priced'. Presumably to him a 200D is basically free and disposable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*sigh*

Come on, apply some common sense.

No need to be snitty, rude or condescend. With a degree in finance and a sound understanding of business and market segmentation, I'm not exactly ill-equipped to consider Canon's strategy.

80D list price $1199 rebated to $999
77D list price $899 rebated to $699
200D list price $549 rebated to $499

How many of the above were rebated at launch? Do you know what the street price of the EOS RP will be in a few months' time? Or what rebates and/or bundles will be available? Let's be sure to compare apples to apples, as it were.

I get it. Shoppers have those options available, and some will choose crop-sensor bodies with rebates. But who offers the rebates? Canon. If Canon felt the rebated Rebel sales were cannibalizing EOS RP sales, how long do you think it would take them to end the rebates? I'll let Canon make that decision. ;)

I don't know who it's aimed at but it's not amateurs on a limited budget. Probably the rich 1%ers on this site looking to expand their travel kit...

You might answer your question by reading the opening line of the EOS RP product announcement from Canon:

"Responding to the demand from amateur and advanced amateur photographers for an entry-level, full-frame mirrorless camera..."

You can argue whether or not Canon knows its market and positioned this camera appropriately all you want, but there's no question who the EOS RP is aimed at. I'm confident Canon has a bit more market research at its disposal than you or me.

When Canon launched the original 6D (and Nikon the D600) back in 2012, there were plenty of naysayers on the internet insisting there's no market for it. Amateurs don't have $2,099, and pros wouldn't touch a watered down, entry-level body. And yet, that camera succeeded -- well enough to merit a Mark II, which launched less than two years ago for $1,999.

After seven years of experience in the entry-level full frame market, Canon now launches a mirrorless full frame body at $1,299, including adapter and grip extension (~$170 value), and you don't see it as an aggressively priced body?

Suit yourself...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0