Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

Jul 21, 2010
FWIW - I been buying and using canon for about 30 years. I kinda know the drill.
IMO - you folk are way too deep in your feelings over a $1k camera.

exhale......peace
Personally, I couldn’t care less about the G-series, but if your ‘drill’ is responding to questions with answers for which you have no factual basis, you’re trolling. Your use of Canon gear doesn’t preclude that.

Upvote 0
Are you vision-challenged or do you believe those white-halos-around-dark-halos are all-natural?

View attachment 185610
No, I'm not vision challenged.

Can you give me an example of a camera that that has clean 4k output without "sharpening"? What's your benchmark/reference for doing it right? They all have some visual artifacts. I haven't seen one that looks perfect yet. Most are worse than the RX 100 VA and VI.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Isn't every camera/body purchase that way? Nothing new here and why are you surprised? I do not expect to live long enough to see anyone make the perfect camera for just ME.

Yes, but this is idiotic. There is no reason why the G5 cannot have a mic jack, other than product segmentation of the bad kind. The camera already costs more than the G7 so why remove that?

So again there is not a single Canon compact with EVF and mic jack but we have two cameras close to $1000.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Two things I really don't like of the new G7X III (and G5X II):

1- No 24p at any resolution
2- No .MP4 file format option, only .MOV instead (why Canon?! Update your mind alongside the hardware!)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a brand new camera "aimed to vloggers" which does not record in .MP4 video format???
w** ...!!

Upvote 0
Two things I really don't like of the new G7X III (and G5X II):

1- No 24p at any resolution
2- No .MP4 file format option, only .MOV instead (why Canon?! Update your mind alongside the hardware!)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a brand new camera "aimed to vloggers" which does not record in .MP4 video format???
w** ...!!

Where are you seeing that? The official specs lists MP4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Colleagues, I am lonely noticed that the Canon G7X MIII does not have DPAF (Dual Pixel AF)? Maybe this is not a problem for you at all?

That is correct. Neither does the G5X mark II.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but on other sites many people are fuming. This will be the largest CON on both camera models. However, given the price difference between this and the RX100s, many people might look over it.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Colleagues, I am lonely noticed that the Canon G7X MIII does not have DPAF (Dual Pixel AF)? Maybe this is not a problem for you at all?
I've never had a focus problem with the G7X II, so I doubt it would bother me with the III. While in terms of field of view, the lens is "equivalent" to 24mm to 100mm, optically, the lens is still 8.8-36.8mm, so depth of field is going to be rather deep even at the long end and wide open. At the short end, everything from 4 feet to ∞ is going to be in focus wide open.

If you're one of the photographers who like portraits where one eye is in focus and the other eye, nose, and ears are blurry, this is not the camera for you.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I use 5D MIV + 135 f/2L for photography. ;)
DPAF (Dual Pixel AF) is necessary for video.
Most of the video I shoot with the G7X II is done with manual focus. The lens has enough depth of field at middle distances that I can just set the focus on the hyperlocal distance or in the middle of the range where the action will be, and everything is clear (and there is no danger of focus hunting during the action). For example, when shooting basketball pick-up games from the stands, I just prefocus on the rim, and everything will be clear.

And, no, I wouldn't (and couldn't) do that on a FF camera with a 135mm lens at f/2. Optically the zoom level I'm using is really about 15 or 18mm for the basketball, so very different optically, even if the field of view is like 40 or 50mm would be on a FF.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019

Yes, you're right. I also noticed it.

The DPAF is the best way for video, smooth puuling focus without "hunt".

The Previews posted around told the Contrast Detection does a great job, but don't specify if that's also so good for video...

Will have to wait and see.
If you do video manually with a 5D + 135 f/2 you're a hero (unless you use a large external monitor with Peaking enabled)!

I own a Panasonic G7 (and I think it has contrast detection AF) and do great job pulling focus with Panasonic lenses.

So I expect the G7X III will perform fine.

BTW, checking prices I don't see that much difference vs. the RX100's, especially the Mark 4, so I don't think it is really a decision point.

In Europe the G7X III will probably cost nearer the RX100 VA which is a great camera (short zoom though), so less difference there too.

PS: I was checking many cameras IQs at a comparison page at DPREVIEW.com where you can select up to 4 to compare at same time.
Great tool!!!
Although you must take into account the Lens used (indicated hovering the "i" on each camera's image) for each to get a fair idea.

I love my G7, it offers Parking, Zebras, and lot of advanced features that I still discovered lately. Amazing how Panasonic implemented so much for the MFT vs . Cannon for so expensive EOS DSLRs... (5D4 for instance)
It's really a shame Canon don't do it over so many years of requests (due to "protect EOS Cinema cameras or a "around" mind of CEOs..., or both, cause Sony and Panasonic do since several years on all cameras, and they also have Cine/Video cams..As result of that unbelievable "crippling" result on Magic Lantern (and previously CHDK) started to develope.
But even so amazing efforts and achievements, it's always better and handier to officially have the features in-camera...
Sad by that Canon's SO conservative way of thinking, discarding so many customers requests..

We still have to unofficially "REMAP" Hot/Dead Pixels (and not always work) on Canons!! That's unbelievable in decades of digital cameras.
(My Panasonic G7 offers a specific feature in the menu, never had a bad pixel...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
It's not looking all that promising.

Overheating:

questionable AF performance:

Edit:
Scratch that, it has pretty bad AF performance:

Hi!!

Thanks a lot for the links, very helpful to know!

I'm not vlogger, so the standard AF with the ability to touch the screen to focus a subject will work fine for me.

Related to overheating: I didn't understand clearly enough.

With G7X III (in specs) you can record up to 10 minutes in 4K (which I will probably never do so long continuously)

My spoken English is not so good, so I couldn't understand HOW MUCH you can record 4K in real world until you get STOPPED by overheating?

It will also depends on ambient temperature, and especially if you were using the camera several minutes before for other purposes (Stills or FullHD video), right?
(As happens with lot of cameras without "active" cooling)

I suppose that filming in FullHD and taking Stills will not heat up the G7X III camera so much, since 4K processing is lot more demanding.

I'll really appreciate clarifications on the overheating matter, which is the most important in my case.

PS: The other they while shooting with my Panasonic G7 I found myself using the EVF much easier than the LCD, something I'll miss on the G7X III, but I suspect the IQ of the 24-100mm zoom on the G7X III is better than longer one on G5X II (only suspect, optical rule) and I can't spend so much in a pocketable camera, probably with smaller EVF than my G7 (wich is already small), and without Mic in..

Thank you!!

Upvote 0
I'm not vlogger, so the standard AF with the ability to touch the screen to focus a subject will work fine for me.
I'm not sure that it actually works. It failed miserably in the tests (3rd video). You could see it hunting for focus on a static shot with nothing moving in the frame.

Related to overheating: I didn't understand clearly enough.

With G7X III (in specs) you can record up to 10 minutes in 4K (which I will probably never do so long continuously)

My spoken English is not so good, so I couldn't understand HOW MUCH you can record 4K in real world until you get STOPPED by overheating?

It will also depends on ambient temperature, and especially if you were using the camera several minutes before for other purposes (Stills or FullHD video), right?
(As happens with lot of cameras without "active" cooling)

I suppose that filming in FullHD and taking Stills will not heat up the G7X III camera so much, since 4K processing is lot more demanding.

I'll really appreciate clarifications on the overheating matter, which is the most important in my case.
I'm not exactly sure. According to her comments Amy had the camera overheat shooting a mix of 1080p50 and 2160p25. She didn't say how much recording she had done over what length of time. I expect it's very dependent on ambient temperature, if you're in sunlight, etc. and if you're shooting back to back clips. Based on what I've seen in the first reviews and the samples posted by owners I'd be thinking long and hard before I bought a G7X Mk III with the intention of shooting video with it. It doesn't seem to do very well at it.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I'm not sure that it actually works. It failed miserably in the tests (3rd video). You could see it hunting for focus on a static shot with nothing moving in the frame.

I'm not exactly sure. According to her comments Amy had the camera overheat shooting a mix of 1080p50 and 2160p25. She didn't say how much recording she had done over what length of time. I expect it's very dependent on ambient temperature, if you're in sunlight, etc. and if you're shooting back to back clips. Based on what I've seen in the first reviews and the samples posted by owners I'd be thinking long and hard before I bought a G7X Mk III with the intention of shooting video with it. It doesn't seem to do very well at it.

Thank you very much for your comments!! Much appreciated!

I couldn't understand very well what Amy said. You're clarifications help me a lot :)

About the "Auto focus problem", I think there are two factors playing here:

1- in the last review, he said he set AF to "Face detection" (something that lot of people like, and will use, but not me)
2- He, and Amy, were holding the camera very close when walking (I don't know at what focal length) That may be a cause for AF hunting or out of focus if it was reaching the minimum focus distance.

- Gordon's video didn't have that problem at all when he was walking handholding it, he probably held the camera with his arms fully extended.
Although on his specific Face AF test the Sony is a mile away ahead, no doubt Sony is leader in this point (I still remember the spot of A7r IV).

Sony is improving some features much faster than Canon indeed. In fact it's the king of mirrorless cameras, sensors and auto focus processing technology.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0