Canon officially discontinues a lot more EF lenses

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Why would I want a 24-105 f4? Wait and see what happens to the price of the superb TS-E 24 II when an overpriced TS-R 24 comes out. I can't wait!
Yup.

I have ALWAYS wanted to play with the Canon TS lenses.

If/When the price starts to fall on the EF version, I plan to grab one. And with that TS lens, from what I have seen on YT videos, it will be dual purpose fo rme, it will work on my %d3, it will adapt to whichever R camera I get in the future....and, it will also cover the larger Digital medium format camera sensor I have.

Hell, I find half the fun with mirrorless is adapting lenses everywhere and manual works for that. I might even try it out adapted to my M10M which is all manual anyway.

The TS lenses in EF mount would be GREAT lenses to hop on and they will be viable for all the foreseeable future I can think of on mirrorless cameras.

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That’s because you were immunised against future rejections from Canon in the FD days ;) However, I agree with you, bring on the bargains !
The irony is...the canon FD lenses are well worth looking at again, in this day of adapting vintage lenses to mirrorless cameras.

You can make good use of those old FD lenses now....I'm on the hunt for them while decent bargains can be found. From what I see, some of those, like the 85mm f/1.2 are still extremely optically viable on high MP digital sensors....?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is great news. I am very happy to live in the discontinued EF universe. The lenses are going to be bargains as people dump them because? Well no real reason at all...
I'm not sure that the discontinued lenses will be bargains - either new or second hand. Where there is not a direct RF replacement eg Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro, they fill a niche that is not catered for.
Of course, where people upgrade to a RF replacement then there should be more in the second hand market. My experience hunting for a good 2nd hand EF100-400mm for a reasonable price was unsuccessful so I ended up getting a RF100-500mm on special new.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
2 lenses strike me as being unusual...
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM would suit a R7 as a low cost option for a wide angle crop sensor on EF/R mount adaptor
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro replacement in R mount isn't in the list and fills a niche that other camera manufacturers don't have especially as the Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm F/4D is also discontinued

Upvote 0
I'm very surprised this is happening so quickly. With the release of the 1DX III so recent, I had assumed Canon would start doing this in 3-4 years from now. (i.e. a full DSLR product cycle after their last DSLR body).

I was thinking of selling my 135 F2L... but now, I may just keep it as a momento of my EF days an for the odd chance I ever use it on the R5. With the 85 1.2L being so good... I haven't used it in a very long time...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This is great news. I am very happy to live in the discontinued EF universe. The lenses are going to be bargains as people dump them because? Well no real reason at all...
I think size and weight is a very good reason to switch lenses to newer ones. Sharpness is also often better and AF is even faster (though all my EF L lenses work fine with the adapter).
But size and weight is realy a point. My 70-200 f2,8 is quite big and heavy compared to these new lenses. Also you dont need the adapter so overall size of camera+lense gets smaller. These are the true benefits from mirrorless. I hope to travel more after covid, so I would appreciate any smaller lenses. The 100-500mm RF looks stunning - great performance and a small and light design...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I'm very surprised this is happening so quickly. With the release of the 1DX III so recent, I had assumed Canon would start doing this in 3-4 years from now. (i.e. a full DSLR product cycle after their last DSLR body).

I was thinking of selling my 135 F2L... but now, I may just keep it as a momento of my EF days an for the odd chance I ever use it on the R5. With the 85 1.2L being so good... I haven't used it in a very long time...
I am also surprised that they discontinue lenses BEFORE they even announced (yet alone actualy deliver) equivalent lenses (with equivalent focal length and aperture)....

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Why would I want a 24-105 f4? Wait and see what happens to the price of the superb TS-E 24 II when an overpriced TS-R 24 comes out. I can't wait!
Whats your experience with the TS-E 24?
I have the 11-24 and I wonder if the TS 24 would bring me a notable benefit. The image circle the 11mm cover can be pretty much used to get the same straight lines, if I just point the camera straight...

Upvote 0
That’s because you were immunised against future rejections from Canon in the FD days ;) However, I agree with you, bring on the bargains !

Are we really going to see big bargains? I hope so, but supply for these will probably drop faster than demand. They are cheaper than their RF counterparts already, and they work as well or better on RF bodies with the adapter as they do on EF bodies natively. I'd love some lens bargains as much as anyone else, but they are the slowest aging consumer electronics products you can buy.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Dare I say it?

EF is *******.

I do wonder if moving forward with this was always the intention or if the pandemic accelerated things. Also curious that it's just EF and EF-S but no EF-M glass as of yet. Given how dark some see the fate of that line, I would have expected to see it on the chopping block too. Perhaps not dead yet?
I've never understood the rumours of the demise of EF-M. I'm just speculating, of course, but I don't see the end of EF/EF-s having any relevance to EF-M. It seems to me that Canon's intention for EF-M was always for it to be first and foremost a small and light system, designed to appeal to consumers who wanted something better than a phone but who didn't want to carry a "big camera" and who probably didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, and also perhaps as second camera system for enthusiasts and pros who want something better than a phone as a "carry everywhere" camera when they don't want to lug their bigger and heavier gear. As such, Canon never tried to make EF-M a system which had options to do everything you could possibly think of (eg no long macro lenses, no super telephoto focal length lenses, no tilt-shift lenses, etc) and never marketed EF-M as a replacement for EF-s. I don't see how the replacement of EF/EF-s with RF has much relevance to the niche that EF-M is intended to fill. I also think the people saying the EF-M system needs this or that (more fast primes, etc) or the system is dead are missing the point of the EF-M system. If those are the sorts of lenses someone wants to use, the EF-M system is not the right choice. That doens't mean it's not the right choice for other people though, of course. Further, even though RF and EF-m have different mounts, I assume a lot of technology (eg AF systems) still can be relatively easily shared between the systems. (For that matter, I assume DSLRs and MILCs can also share quite a bit of technology too. Nevertheless, I assume (without knowing) it's a bit easier to share tech between RF and EF-m since both are mirrorless systems.) So, personally, I don't see why Canon would discontinue the EF-M system unless they have decided the size of the market niche that system is intended to cater to has shrunk too much. As long as that is not the case, I expect Canon will continue to develop the EF-M system (albeit not in the way, and not at the speed, some people seem to think Canon should).

I think the more interesting thing is whether Canon will introduce APS-C RF mount cameras to replace the lower priced DSLRs (eg Rebel line), and if so whether Canon develops a line of lenses specifically for those cameras. My guess is that comes down to whether Canon sees a continuing market for cameras at that price point which isn't already sufficiently addressed by EF-M, and if Canon does see a continuing market there whether Canon can make a full-frame sensor cheaply enough now that it can profitably supply that market with full-frame gear. It seems possible to me that is where gear such as the RP and RF 35 f/1.8 IS and RF 50 f/1.8 lenses may be pointing, and I imagine it may be more efficient from Canon's point of view to make more of that sort of gear than to create more product lines for it to manufacture. If that is the way Canon goes, it still leaves a question in my mind whether Canon might introduce an an APS-C RF mount camera specifially for the reach limited crowd who would value a high pixel density APS-C sensor (and be willing to pay for it). However, Canon could do that without creating a whole range of APS-C RF cameras (potentially one model might be sufficient for that market), and without creating any lenses specifically for APS-C on the basis that anyone buying that camera is also the type of buyer who will spend the money on lenses like the RF 100-500 and the RF supertelephotos which Canon is about to release. If I had to take a guess, I think there is a good chance that is the way Canon will go, ie one APS-C sensor RF mount camera for the reach limited crowd, and otherwise the RF system will be full-frame, with Canon supplying the "lower end" of the ILC market (whatever exactly that will be in the future) via EF-m and via relatively small and light RF gear along the lines of the RP and the RF 35 f/1.8 IS and RF 50 f/1.8 lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I doubt the 500 f/4L II will ever be a bargain LOL, but I won't be selling mine until I see new gen lightweight <2.5kg release from anyone, be it Canon, Sony or Nikon, which will no doubt be at least 50% dearer than the EF price.

Upvote 0
I think that we can agree that 4 lens mounts is too much for Canon to support. EF-m aren't going away soon. EF-S probably don't have a lot of profit on them (my guess) and using up production line capacity that could be used for RF.

Discontinuing these lenses doesn't mean end-of-sale. There would still be inventory ready to sell but not necessarily in all resellers so new buyers may need to shop around. End-of-support of 2027 (and then 3rd party support) for L lenses - especially big whites - would be sufficient to cover any migration path for future R mount buyers.

What is missing are:
- replacement lenses where it makes sense (maybe not a replacement 180mm macro) and
- a low cost R mount body - perhaps with APS-C sensor ie under the RP and perhaps replacing it to cover the current Rebel buyers.
I don't believe that the R7 will be cheap.
EF-M/Mxx bodies will remain in the line up for some time to come. New M bodies/lenses may be a different story.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
EF-S lenses being discontinued and yet nothing in the pipeline for entry-level and crop sensor shooters. Is Canon going to offer anything for this price point or are they really banking on the entire vlogger and student/casual photographer market disappearing altogether?

In this price point? You get the EF-M. It's both entry level and crop sensor.

I don't know what they say to someone who ISN'T entry level and still nevertheless shoots crop sensor, at this point. But if you're going to conflate the two, EF-M is their answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - The Smartphone market has probably reduced the sales of this and EF-S lenses in general, most smartphones today now come with Ultra-wide lenses which are pretty decent. I own this lens and use it for night photography.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM - I was thinking of selling this one day as I also have the Non-L Nano USM version but never got around to it, I think I'll just hold on to it now.

I wonder if they will discontinue the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens anytime soon? I think it will be one of the last to go since it's so popular.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I doubt the 500 f/4L II will ever be a bargain LOL, but I won't be selling mine until I see new gen lightweight <2.5kg release from anyone, be it Canon, Sony or Nikon, which will no doubt be at least 50% dearer than the EF price.
That’s because you own one and you think it has more value than it does. Whilst big whites traditionally hold their value well there are realignments in value whenever there is an update or change. You might not think your 500 f4 is comparable to a 100-500 f4.5-7.1, but iso performance is way better now than it was and people have options and most who own R series cameras would buy the RF zoom over the EF prime.

Upvote 0