Canon officially unveils the PowerShot Pick

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I’m late to the party on this one, but it didn’t really excite me all that much. These concept cameras from Canon like the Ivy Cliq, PowerShot Zoom and PowerShot pick are the future of the PowerShot name as Canon phases out fixed lens cameras.
Canon launched crowdfunding for the PowerShot pick at Makuake and easily surpassed their goal to make the product a reality. We should see this hit retail stores elsewhere around the globe in the coming months.
Head on over to Makuake and turn your translator on to learn more about the PowerShot Pick.

Canon PowerShot Pick Specifications:

12mp 1/2.3″ CMOS Sensor
19-57mm f/2.8-5.0 35mm equivalent zoom lens (4x zoom)
Pans 170°
Tilt of 110°
Electronic Image Stabilization
Dust and Waterproofing
Battery life of about 2.5 hours
Records data...

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I see the mistake from the last rumor is still there?

"19-57mm f/2.8-5.0 35mm equivalent zoom lens (4x zoom) "

57/19 = 3 != 4

Either somebody made a typo, or there's some twisted advertising going on.

That is weird. I'll double-check it when I get home.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
To me this is mainly a product that show an application of the powerfull face/eye recognition Canon developped last years, mixed into an AI.

Next gopro 360 will surely do the same things without any mechanism + can be used for action sports.

I think it's a try and the real product behind will be the one with the grip and stab like OSMO

I hope Canon don't have a lot of sales expectations on this one, because I don't see hundreds of thousands of families with it in the middle of the kitchen or playing in the garden.

Friends of mine with kids that don't own a camera are happy with a smartphones to make films or pictures

And last point, maybe I'm crazy or old school, but I'm allready suspicious on privacy with all these kind of google home to not ad an IA controlled camera into my house.

Upvote 0
It looks great as a table top - blog and content for online usage, type device.

The part that make no sense to me is when it was following the little kid. Should we assume that it's somehow a handheld unit that you should take everywhere and simple place in your pocket? Hey stud, is that your new Powershot OR are you just happy to see me?

AND, do you really think that it winks at you when it takes a photo?

Upvote 0
It looks great as a table top - blog and content for online usage, type device.

The part that make no sense to me is when it was following the little kid. Should we assume that it's somehow a handheld unit that you should take everywhere and simple place in your pocket? Hey stud, is that your new Powershot OR are you just happy to see me?

AND, do you really think that it winks at you when it takes a photo?
I think what their showing here is that you can webcam wirelessly and if needed follow a member of your family,
I can definitely recall many times where my webcam cable was the issue when wanting to show something to the viewer.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Small bro is watching yer ;) Seriously, this fits in Canon's long tradition of experimenting with new camera designs and functions. I am not sure whether I wanted one of these, but it could have potential (also to be hacked by stalkers etc. :devilish:). Overall, it shows, that Canon still is alive and their engineers are open-minded in these hard times for camera manufacturers.

Upvote 0
are the future of the PowerShot name as Canon phases out fixed lens cameras.
Has Canon announced they are officially abandoning traditional PowerShot cameras?

My parents are looking for a replacement for their PowerShot SD~~~~ (don't recall the number) that the lens got jammed on.

They are not technical AT all, and don't have a smart phone (or internet for that matter). They take photos and have me upload to Shutterfly where they order prints -- sometimes enlargements.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This is exactly what the world has been waiting for, animated selfies for folks who just can't get enough of seeing themselves in boring situations...
Sorry, but when I visited Yelllowstone NP 2 years ago, I counted far more people taking pictures of themselves (I don't mean of their families) than of the grandiose scenery.
What a waste...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This is exactly what the world has been waiting for, animated selfies for folks who just can't get enough of seeing themselves in boring situations...
Sorry, but when I visited Yelllowstone NP 2 years ago, I counted far more people taking pictures of themselves (I don't mean of their families) than of the grandiose scenery.
What a waste...

More recently than your experience there, I saw less of that. On the other hand when they saw me walking around with an R5 with a small white (EF 100-400 IIL) on it, they assumed I could take a better picture of them than they could (and they were probably right just because "selfie" is awkward) and I got a lot of requests to take their picture for them. If someone wants to do BOTH the selfie and the unimpeded shot of the scenery, more power to them. In my case I'd rather not stress the optics or electronics taking a selfie.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
More recently than your experience there, I saw less of that. On the other hand when they saw me walking around with an R5 with a small white (EF 100-400 IIL) on it, they assumed I could take a better picture of them than they could (and they were probably right just because "selfie" is awkward) and I got a lot of requests to take their picture for them. If someone wants to do BOTH the selfie and the unimpeded shot of the scenery, more power to them. In my case I'd rather not stress the optics or electronics taking a selfie.

That reminds of something that happened years and years ago: we were walking along a beach taking pictures of crabs when someone asked if we could take a picture of him, with his own camera. That's when the blinking-red-battery indicator started blinking on his powershot. I took his CF card, put it in my 20D and took a few pictures. Put the CF card back and the powershot had no issue showing the 20D JPEGs before the battery went dead.

I'm not fluent in selfie, so I try to get someone else to take the picture when possible :)

Upvote 0