Canon Patent Application: Camera with Internal Tilt Movement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has been exploring quite a bit of methods of doing tilt in a more automated fashion, from having the lens electronically controlled to this patent application (2024-057829) that has the tilt movement controlled inside the camera itself. Canon in this patent demonstrates a technique that allows them to tilt the sensor while keeping the

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The amount of shift available is likely quite small. Many lenses' image circles just barely cover their designed sensors -- the RF 24-240 doesn't even completely cover it! There's simply no room to shift the sensor inside the image circle.

That said, maybe an APS-C camera could get some shift when used with FF lenses...
The R7 has a feature where it will keep the sensor level when you have the camera at an angle. It has a few, IMO, stupid restrictions like forcing fully mechanical shutter, but it works quite well to combat my pretty consistent 1 degree slant :)
But the R6II and R3 lack that feature, which makes me think it's much harder to do on FF, very likely due to the image circle issue you mention.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The amount of shift available is likely quite small. Many lenses' image circles just barely cover their designed sensors -- the RF 24-240 doesn't even completely cover it! There's simply no room to shift the sensor inside the image circle.

That said, maybe an APS-C camera could get some shift when used with FF lenses...

yes, APS-C based sensor size would also allow for more shifting.

but there was no mention of a shift, only tilt.

I personally would like shift more than tilt if they could do it.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
While I suspect the range of tilt (and shift) within the camera body might be limited compared to a tilt-shift lens
IMO shift would be limited by the image circle of the lens. A FF lens and an APS-C body would maybe allow enough shift
Tilt would be no problem but the angle of view might be smaller.
I love tilt photography and would love this feature in a camera body.

Upvote 0