Canon Patent Application: Lens functions adjusted with orientation

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application, Canon describes setting lens barrel button functions based on the orientation of the camera body. The idea that they are batting around is that as you change the orientation and you are hand holding a heavy lens, the buttons can be then in an awkward position when you are trying to

See full article...

Sep 20, 2020
An example of what shouldn't be authorized to be patentable. Trivial ideas like this one protected by patents are only used to hamper and block competitors.

With things like this we have reached a point where a full abolition of the patents system would actually protect the innovation.
What is patentable is the implementation.
Richard gave a simple description.
All that it really does is allow for multiple assignable function buttons which switch depending on the orientation.
It does not block any other camera company from doing the same thing.
It might require a third party lens manufacturer to get a license but they would need one for the RF mount anyway.

Upvote 0
An example of what shouldn't be authorized to be patentable. Trivial ideas like this one protected by patents are only used to hamper and block competitors.

With things like this we have reached a point where a full abolition of the patents system would actually protect the innovation.

I won't disagree with you - but it's devil in the details. if they research it and spend time on it, I don't blame them for wanting to protect it.

US patent office can be silly. This was a patent in 1882. I don't think we are there yet with camera technology.

1882_gun_powered_mousetrap.jpg

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
From the (enjoyable-to-read) piece:

"Of course, Canon could remove this problem by doing a square sensor, but we aren't there yet."

=====

=====

=====

Square sensor?

Circle sensor! ;)

...there's nothing new under the sun

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0