Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

So G7XIII looks like a downgrade in some ways and G5XII moves into the space most would have expected the G7XIII to fill and G5XII is a downgrade from G5X in some ways. But hey if they sell more cameras that's what matters, they got to get revenue flowing somehow. G5XII still looks nice and will be pocektable now. Hopefully it can match the RX100VI for AF and speed.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Your personal opinions, priorities and preferences do not equate to a downgrade in usability - we could just as easily be looking at improved usability thanks to clever UI redesign.

I'll give you the possible lack of a hotshoe - but then we have to ask: how many people in the market for this camera need a hotshoe? It's not a downgrade in usability to remove what people aren't using...

It is a downgrade. It's missing features, almost like it just changed its market segment altogether.
I remember demoing the unit right after it came out. Fantastic body marred by dog slow powershot firmware that mad it a 'no-buy'. Thank the stars the m50 rectified that.
+ Not having a full flipply screen IS a downgrade, whether one likes it or not. You get LESS functionality without one.

As for dials..i not so sure..the M50 is such a smartly setup camera with its few dials, that I'll leave that one alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
So G7XIII looks like a downgrade in some ways and G5XII moves into the space most would have expected the G7XIII to fill and G5XII is a downgrade from G5X in some ways. But hey if they sell more cameras that's what matters, they got to get revenue flowing somehow. G5XII still looks nice and will be pocektable now. Hopefully it can match the RX100VI for AF and speed.

How is the G7X III a downgrade? True, it's not a huge upgrade but i don't see any features removed.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
It is a downgrade. It's missing features

Doesn't make it a "downgrade". We've had people on this very thread welcoming the absence of the hotshoe, and the pop-up EVF, because they'll make for a more pocketable camera.

So for them, the simplification amounts to an upgrade.
almost like it just changed its market segment altogether.

Looks to me that this is exactly what's going on - in which case, again, it's not a downgrade but a realignment, which will be based on solid market research.

The camera equivalent of cruft? Get rid of it.

A Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera is a significant upgrade over the standard model, even though there's less of it: it's all about perspective...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like this form factor with pop-up EVF in corner much better than mini-DSLR style with central viewfinder hump. New shape allows for a more compact package when carrying it.

Really hope Canon will make same move with EOS M50 Mark II. If only one is possible, I'd prefer hotshoe over internal flash, but please with full tilt-swivel touch LCD. Sizewise APS-C EOS M cameras can be made as compact as G5X II - ofc w/o lens but EF-M mount instead.

G5X II: 110.9 x 60.9 x 46 mm; 340g
EOS M2: 108.6 × 66.5 × 32.3 mm, 274g (incl. battery)
EOS M: 109 x 67 x 32mm, 298g

G5X II pricing will also be interesting: in line with previous G5X or closer to Sony RX 100 VI?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Like this form factor with pop-up EVF in corner much better than mini-DSLR style with central viewfinder hump. New shape allows for a more compact package when carrying it.

Really hope Canon will make same move with EOS M50 Mark II. If only one is possible, I'd prefer hotshoe over internal flash, but please with full tilt-swivel touch LCD. Sizewise APS-C EOS M cameras can be made as compact as G5X II - ofc w/o lens but EF-M mount instead.

G5X II: 110.9 x 60.9 x 46 mm; 340g
EOS M2: 108.6 × 66.5 × 32.3 mm, 274g (incl. battery)
EOS M: 109 x 67 x 32mm, 298g

G5X II pricing will also be interesting: in line with previous G5X or closer to Sony RX 100 VI?
If the new G5X will not have a hot shoe, I find myself wondering what the closest Canon alternatives will be for someone will be who wants a hot shoe.

Upvote 0
If the new G5X will not have a hot shoe, I find myself wondering what the closest Canon alternatives will be for someone will be who wants a hot shoe.

Canon Powershot G1X III or Panasonic LX100 II.

Overwhelming majority of G5X buyers never uses hotshoe. Sony RX100 also comes without. Same target group.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Sony RX100 also comes without.
Yep, and I'll bet the Canon is a far, far better camera to use:
When the original RX100 appeared, the excitement of seeing a relatively large sensor in a body design copied from Canon’s excellent PowerShot S series was tempered by the fact that Sony had managed to make a complete mess of the control logic. Six years and five generations later, it’s still a pretty horrible thing to use. A good camera should get out of your way and make it easy for you to change all the key settings, but with the RX100 VI, I usually felt like I was fighting against it instead.

At least Sony has now added a touchscreen, meaning it’s finally possible to select the focus point quickly when you’re shooting with either the screen or the viewfinder. You can also double-tap to zoom into images during playback, and then scroll around them to check focus and detail. But it doesn’t do anything else: you can’t even change any shooting settings or make menu selections by touch. Compared to Canon and Panasonic’s fully-integrated touch interfaces, this just feels lazy; it’s as if the iPhone never happened.

Sony has also dropped the built-in ND filter from the latest model: bloody camera-gimping downgraders - who do they think they are? Canon?

:devilish:.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Oh no, but looks the G5X II and probably G7X III are coming up short:

"Canon G5X Mark II camera have 10min recording limit in 4K video."
I'll make sure not to choose this camera to film my next Netflix mini-series, then...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0