Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III specifications

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Help me out those of you have have spent a good deal of time with this format. How does this hold up against M43? I thought that format would be a great travel size for me but the noise level over 3200 iso was a deal breaker (Olympus Pen F) I just went back to lugging the FF around and making the iphone 8 be my small camera. I do have an S95 which isn't too shabby so how much better is the G series over that?

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Me too - sort of....In my case, it will be to replace my ageing G12! It has been a trusty carry-along - but is now ready for retirement. I actually took one of my most commercially successful shots on it - testimony to the fact that light, subject, timing and framing are more important than the gear you have with you at the time!

I wish i could buy another. AF slow as old woman death, but man the raw files were so easy to edit and make nice

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Help me out those of you have have spent a good deal of time with this format. How does this hold up against M43? I thought that format would be a great travel size for me but the noise level over 3200 iso was a deal breaker (Olympus Pen F) I just went back to lugging the FF around and making the iphone 8 be my small camera. I do have an S95 which isn't too shabby so how much better is the G series over that?
I would say typically a M43 is better than this. But this one is pocketable and a 1" sensor is about the minimum sensor size to get decent A4 and bigger prints ( a bit of a sweeping generalisation as my old G12 produced decent prints at the time). Alot of these pocket cameras I've ended up with scratched lens. I wonder is the lens protected any better than previous versions. But its real strength is its small size. You can carry it always.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
So it is faster. That's it? F1.4-2.0 lens would be something...
Sure it would be, but sadly no amount of improved manufacturing process and extra computing power is going to make a difference in physics. Could they make a similar focal length lens in that size? Maybe? Would it cost so much that it's not worth it? Most probably.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Sure it would be, but sadly no amount of improved manufacturing process and extra computing power is going to make a difference in physics. Could they make a similar focal length lens in that size? Maybe? Would it cost so much that it's not worth it? Most probably.
Like a 28-84mm f1.4-2.0 lens (to keep dimensions small enough). That'd be a change. Now as it is, this camera is only faster which I don't need.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I just got back from Denmark and Sweden. I took over 800 pictures with the II on the trip. I haven't gone through them, but if the results are anything like past photos with this camera, some may well be stunning (depending upon the skill of the photographer more than limitations of the camera. It is a really handy size. I carried it in the right pocket of my pants. I occasionally missed having an OVF, but not really anything else. I've made good 13" x 19" prints from this camera before, and they look great. I still have some blank walls in my house, so if anything from this trip is really good, I'll print them up and spend some real money to have them framed, as in the past.

When full details come out about the III, I'll decide then whether to get one. My annual video project would have been while I was away. It would be nice to have 4K for next year to facilitate editing. I could crop a lot and still have rather good 1080p or 720p. I've used the 4K in my iPhone for that purpose, though it is more needed because of the lack of a zoom lens. In the fall I have scheduled a trip to Italy for a couple of weeks and then a Greek, etc., islands cruise. The cameras are small enough that I could take the II along as a backup and still have much less size and weight involved than if I took one of my DSLRs.

I haven't experienced any dust problems with my II, even out West. I understand how that could be a factor for some folk.

Upvote 0
Weather proof please!! I have owned many Canon point and shoot cameras, which I almost always purchase from Best Buy. I also buy the two year Geek Squad extended warranty since it pays for a cleaning and mine ALWAYS get filled with dust no matter how hard I try to keep it in a case, etc..

I sure wish they would weather proof the Mk III! I never got the II, as I’ve been waiting for the III. Love my original G7X, but because of the specs I’ve hardly touched it since upgrading from an iPhone 5s to a Xs in September last year.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
Tilt screens suck balls. Swivel the thing, how hard can that be?

Disagree, I much prefer this style of screen. It's faster to tilt and much less obtrusive for street/travel photography. The fully articulated screens are nice for slow paced landscape photography and the like, but they're a bit unwieldy for the types of photography I do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0