Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III specifications

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
1080@120. My EOS R can't do that at 5 X the price for just the body.

And it uses the same DIGIC8 processor. It would be nice if Canon gave us a firmware upgrade to add 1080@120 to the EOS R, or the EOS M50. But this is a step in the right direction, and I hope it raises the par for what a bare minimum from Canon would be.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And it uses the same DIGIC8 processor. It would be nice if Canon gave us a firmware upgrade to add 1080@120 to the EOS R, or the EOS M50. But this is a step in the right direction, and I hope it raises the par for what a bare minimum from Canon would be.

What makes you think the sensors in the R, RP or M50 are capable of 120Hz 1080p readout?

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Now I expect Canon brigade to come in and explain to me, that 1) Canon sensors are still competitive and hence my perception is wrong, and 2) Canon using Sony sensor is OK, as Canon always knows, what to do to push their business forward :)

Correct. You're not entirely a lost cause, then...

Upvote 0
Canon using a Sony sensor might be a win for an end user, but is a bit of a let down for Canon imo. From the company of the Canon size, I would expect their own sensors.
I tend to agree with you espacially since they already have their own 1" DPAF sensors in some Vixia camcorders.
In the other hand, powershots G and S series have been equipped with sony sensors like forever (to my knowledge at least since 2008 G10).

Now the big news here is the -still to be confirmed- 30fps RAW.
Why?
Not because people will shoot sports with a 100mm compact…. but because it open the door to computational photography!
  • Hi-res sweeping panorama? (the G1X mkIII was the first to get it - late to the party IMHO)
  • not "crappy full-auto jpeg" HDR mode useable in PSAM modes?
  • powerfull multishot mode for noise reduction (low-light situations)?
  • Pre-shutter buffering? (casio did this in 2008!!)
  • multishot + DPAF allow for precise background defocus
  • fast multishot mode for proxi with in-camera stacking?
  • hand held fast bracketing?
The possibilities are endless. Is canon volunteer to push the enveloppe? Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Hi-res sweeping panorama? (the G1X mkIII was the first to get it - late to the party IMHO)
  • not "crappy full-auto jpeg" HDR mode useable in PSAM modes?
  • powerfull multishot mode for noise reduction (low-light situations)?
  • Pre-shutter buffering? (casio did this in 2008!!)
  • multishot + DPAF allow for precise background defocus
  • fast multishot mode for proxi with in-camera stacking?
  • hand held fast bracketing?

Gimmicks and niche requirements?

Upvote 0
Just one exemple from the leader in computational photography (Google pixel 3 review on dpr) :
" The Pixel cameras can effectively make up for their small sensor sizes by capturing more total light through multiple exposures, while aligning moving objects from frame to frame so they can still be averaged to decrease noise. That means better low light performance and higher dynamic range than what you'd expect from such a small sensor.

Shooting Raw allows you to take advantage of that extra range: by pulling back blown highlights and raising shadows otherwise clipped to black in the JPEG, and with full freedom over white balance in post thanks to the fact that there's no scaling of the color channels before the Raw file is written. Even better news? HDR+ independently merges red, green and blue channels, which means the Raws are true Raws - un-demosaiced. "

This is not a gimmick…. it is the industry future. Apply that to à 1" sensor and let see the possibilities.

Honestly, except a few more DR, more image quality from my EOS M6 is useless to me.
But tell me that you can get this same quality from a S120 shaped camera … and take my money!

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Just one example from the leader in computational photography (Google pixel 3 review on dpr) :
" The Pixel cameras can effectively make up for their small sensor sizes by capturing more total light through multiple exposures, while aligning moving objects from frame to frame so they can still be averaged to decrease noise. That means better low light performance and higher dynamic range than what you'd expect from such a small sensor.
Assuming that the subject doesn't move...
Shooting Raw allows you to take advantage of that extra range: by pulling back blown highlights and raising shadows otherwise clipped to black in the JPEG, and with full freedom over white balance in post thanks to the fact that there's no scaling of the color channels before the Raw file is written.
I've been shooting Raw exclusively since 2006, thanks - I'm fully aware of the benefits: but the fact remains that in the list in your previous post, pretty much everything is the polar opposite of a "must-have" - or we'd have them.

Personally I've always liked that Canon doesn't try to win users over by filling their cameras full of niche gimmicks.

How's Casio doing these days..?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Just one exemple from the leader in computational photography (Google pixel 3 review on dpr) :

Shooting Raw allows you to take advantage of that extra range: by pulling back blown highlights and raising shadows otherwise clipped to black in the JPEG, and with full freedom over white balance in post thanks to the fact that there's no scaling of the color channels before the Raw file is written. Even better news? HDR+ independently merges red, green and blue channels, which means the Raws are true Raws - un-demosaiced. "

This is not a gimmick…. it is the industry future. Apply that to à 1" sensor and let see the possibilities.

Honestly, except a few more DR, more image quality from my EOS M6 is useless to me.
But tell me that you can get this same quality from a S120 shaped camera … and take my money!

What is amazing about the Pixel and Google Camera is the quality of the JPEG images. Images just look way better than any out of camera jpeg from any camera manufacturer.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
What is amazing about the Pixel and Google Camera is the quality of the JPEG images. Images just look way better than any out of camera jpeg from any camera manufacturer.
That just means that you like them - there's no objective "better" here.

Upvote 0
Assuming that the subject doesn't move...

I've been shooting Raw exclusively since 2006, thanks - I'm fully aware of the benefits: but the fact remains that in the list in your previous post, pretty much everything is the polar opposite of a "must-have" - or we'd have them.

Personally I've always liked that Canon doesn't try to win users over by filling their cameras full of niche gimmicks.

No, Moving objects are managed during merging!

This raw explanation is for multi shot merged raws, wich is a first.

Well, read the full piece, if you will. You may learn few things :

Now, I can agree with the "gimmicks" point of view. Because we already seen tons of this sort of "king feature" wich, once in hand, is barely usable (i.e. cropped 4k 15ips, HDR mode limited to a buried scene mode and so on…).

The important point here is that those feature have to be nicely integrated in the usual modes of the camera. They have to be unobtrusive, "seamless". Once you manage that, you REALLY have a small sensor producing bigger sensor quality pictures (1" and above).
And THAT, for me, is not a gimmick!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
No, Moving objects are managed during merging!

And what is it about those images that proves your point? Nothing there that is beyond any camera.

As Kit says, subject movement would need to be tracked with (sub-) pixel precision, and we just aren't there yet - not even Google can convincingly demonstrate the ability to map multiple images of a moving subject onto each other in such a way as to generate a meaningful end result.

And by "moving subject" I don't mean a ripple on water. I'm familiar with the hype around tiling and averaging images in memory, and it doesn't help with things that are moving.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
So, for you, there is nothing interesting to expect from computational photography techniques?
Far from it - I love this kind of thing, and where it's going to take us.

I'm just not one for hype and hyperbole, and - so far - that's where we are. I'm seeing nothing right now that will make my photography better.

Upvote 0