Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III specifications

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Check the M50 OOC JPEG images on DPreview. Details like trees in the background are washed out while converted from RAW they have tons of detail.

I'm not disputing that - but you made a pretty sweeping statement about "Images just look[ing] way better than any out of camera jpeg from any camera manufacturer", and there's simply no way that's true.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Yeah, but you’d look so much more trendy and with the times if you were holding a Sony camera. You know, like someone who reads tweets and stuff.

Just imagine it: a Sony camera round my neck, a Google phone in my pocket - I'd be the coolest 58 year old on my street (and it's a long street, for England), and I'm sure the birds I photograph would be impressed...

;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon using a Sony sensor might be a win for an end user, but is a bit of a let down for Canon imo. From the company of the Canon size, I would expect their own sensors. Or - they should admit, they are no more capable of developing/producing a competitive sensors and switch to Sony ones completly, saving us from the old refurb products like the 6DII.

Now I expect Canon brigade to come in and explain to me, that 1) Canon sensors are still competitive and hence my perception is wrong, and 2) Canon using Sony sensor is OK, as Canon always knows, what to do to push their business forward :)
stop being an annoyance.

Upvote 0
Never said it was crappy, just hoping Canon surprises us because up to now, Sony invented and still leads this 1" market.

BTW, no need to be argumentive.

What do you get out of this pathetic trolling?

OK, prove your point: let's see all the images that you've taken with your precious Sonys, that you simply could not have achieved using a crappy Canon.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm not offended by using a camera that contains Sony parts. I have yet to have anyone point and laugh at me for having a mongrel camera. There is some kind of Sony product in every room in my house other than the bathrooms and maybe the library. They make a lot of good stuff. No one looks at my pictures and complains about the quality being degraded by mixed sources of electronics.

For a while there were a lot of folks here talking about "jumping ship." I know it is a metaphor, but I'm not on a ship.

There are a variety of reasons for a company to use parts from another manufacturer. Maybe they hold patents that keep you from designing your own part in the way you would like. Often it would not be worth the money, time, and effort to build a new factory or repurpose a current one. If Canon can make a camera that better suits my needs for an affordable price by using Sony parts, that suits me just fine.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
I'm about to sell my M6 and lenses. I had the original M and it was so slow to use. Then I talked myself into trying the newer generation. Sure, AF is faster, but it's still SOOO slow to go from preview back to shooting and other functions. Such a frustrating experience. Plus, it's still too big overall. Maybe I will try this camera. It might be what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Just imagine it: a Sony camera round my neck, a Google phone in my pocket - I'd be the coolest 58 year old on my street (and it's a long street, for England), and I'm sure the birds I photograph would be impressed...

;)
Well, I just watched Jared Polin's (aka Froknowsphoto) review of the Sony GM 600mm f/4.0 paired to the Sony A9 (w/battery grip) and his results were pretty fantastic at least from a resolution and focus-tracking perspective. "Your" birds might even be impressed, but honestly, whilst the images were tack-sharp and focus tracking worked great, I thought many of his images (slide-show at the end of the video) appeared to have a lot of noise in the OOF areas (of course he was shooting ISO values at 2000 - 3200).

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Oh, I'm not disputing the idea that Sonys can take good pictures, but so can my Canon kit, and until Sony gear lets me do things I simply can't do with Canon, all the noise about Sony's supposed wonderfulness is irrelevant (and frequently irritating and unwelcome when it's crammed down our throats on here) chatter.

I'm certainly not hitting the buffers of my gear's capabilities, and - something I mention here pretty regularly - in my opinion most photographers would get more bang-for-the-buck improvement in image quality if they simply used a different Raw converter: Lightroom for example, is not a particularly good converter (nasty democaising algorithm, by today's standards) and just getting to grips with (say) Photo Ninja (PN), which is far-and-away my favourite these days, would give them more than all of the supposed (and yet to be demonstrated, of course) "superiority" of Sony files.

For context: even with my 7D Mk II, I can get sharp, detailed, noiseless - and I do mean that literally - images at approaching 5-digit ISOs, by converting in PN: 3200 ISO is literally no different to 320 ISO in terms of the quality of the output.

And I'm north of 20,000 ISO before I even notice any noise from my 1D X files.

It's not just the noise reduction (which is edge-aware, incidentally, and beats anything else available, including the much-lauded PRIME NR in DxO/Photolab): PN's demosaicing algorithm is better than any other out there.

I was a beta-tester for DxO; I've beta tested for Phase One (Capture One Pro) and I was on the Adobe (Lightroom) Certified Professional (ACP) programme before I dropped Lightroom. NR and demosaicing algorithm testing has always been my thing, and Photo Ninja is just way better than any of them in terms of basic rendering quality.

So why would I be interested in Sony? I find myself wondering...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0