Canon R5 AF points

Hey guys,

Ive just upgraded from a 5D Mark III to an R5. Loving the camera but have a question on AF points.

I know it has amazing movement tracking et al. but I would like to be able to use a similar 61 point AF system like on my 5D Mark III. I know it has single point AF and you can move it around (I use view finder rather than touch screen) but would be great if I could have some more AF points on the view finder screen beside 1. Any info or tips on how to set it up for multiple AF points?

Thanks!

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think I understand that you are making an adjustment, that you are accustom to composing with AF points as reference points. One of the pleasures of the R5 is being able to have the freedom to place an AF point virtually anywhere within the frame.

When I first started using the EOS R, before upgrading to the R5, I used a "rule of thirds" grid display within the viewfinder. (You might have used a grid option on your 5DIII? Was it 6x4? It has been quite a few years since I used that body, a camera I really enjoyed.)

While it isn't the same as precise AF points, the grid helps with composing, with having reference points within the frame.

After a while though, I just went without the grid in most cases, especially portrait; but come to think of it, I do sometimes, without those reference points, get part of my subject a little too near one edge or the other. I don't realize it's happening until after I've reviewed the shot! Maybe I should start using the 3x3 grid again!

And then there is an entirely new dance with Eye AF + Tracking!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I understand that you are making an adjustment, that you are accustom to composing with AF points as reference points. One of the pleasures of the R5 is being able to have the freedom to place an AF point virtually anywhere within the frame.

When I first started using the EOS R, before upgrading to the R5, I used a "rule of thirds" grid display within the viewfinder. (You might have used a grid option on your 5DIII? Was it 6x4? It has been quite a few years since I used that body, a camera I really enjoyed.)

While it isn't the same as precise AF points, the grid helps with composing, with having reference points within the frame.

After a while though, I just went without the grid in most cases, especially portrait; but come to think of it, I do sometimes, without those reference points, get part of my subject a little too near one edge or the other. I don't realize it's happening until after I've reviewed the shot! Maybe I should start using the 3x3 grid again!

And then there is an entirely new dance with Eye AF + Tracking!
Hi, one of the things I liked to do on my last camera was to capture the AF point by pressing down on the shutter half way until I heard the beep and then move the camera until I had the show I wanted and press the rest of the way. Do you know if you can do that on an R5?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hi, one of the things I liked to do on my last camera was to capture the AF point by pressing down on the shutter half way until I heard the beep and then move the camera until I had the show I wanted and press the rest of the way. Do you know if you can do that on an R5?
Yes, you can but putting the AF point on your subject gives accurate autofocus where you want it. Freezing the focus by pressing the shutter halfway and then moving the camera virtually assures inaccurate autofocus. You are free to set it up to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But not having to use focus and recompose ever again is one of the main advantages of Canon's DPAF. Why would you want to go back to that? Just out of habit?

If so, as Spokane pointed out, you should probably embrace some of the new cameras abilities and change your technique. After all, focus and recompose is very flawed as far as achieving accurate focus is concerned, depending on the lens and aperture used if course.

Side note: If you want to use focus and recompose because you can't move the focus point quick enough, have you tried the touch and drag feature? You mention you use the viewfinder instead of LiveView, which is fine, but are you aware that you can still use the touchscreen to move the AF point while looking through the viewfinder? Ideally, you would configure touch and drag to use just a fraction of the screen so that you can operate it without straining your finger. Worth looking into for fast and accurate focus point movement on Canon's new mirrorless bodies.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I would look into using the rear screen for Touch AF point selection. Looking through the EVF, this will give you arguably the quickest way to move the AF point to your liking. You can set it up to use part of the screen - personally I always found upper right to be about where my thumb was, and most easily could be used to drag the AF point to the desired location.

As I type this I see that Joules has made the same suggestion in the post above. Obviously great minds think alike!

Upvote 0
I've set up my R5 to be on one shot focus so I can see the focus point, but, I have mapped the back focus button to go to eye detect.
Works great. Get the one shot focus point near where you want, then if a person or animal I want to shoot, I hit the back button and it locks onto the eye nearest the focus point.
I also use touch and drag focus. Being left eyed, I use the lower left quandrant to touch and drag..
So many great focussing options.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Typically (unless I shoot something that moves too fast, like BiF, or need precise manual focusing) I use tracking autofocus starting from preselected focus point. I move the focus point with joystick - or press the joystick to select the central AF point, then focus and recompose. As the AF is still tracking the selected object while I recompose, there is no problem with focal plane shift even at 14mm.

Upvote 0