Canon registers a new RF mount lens

Jul 21, 2010
We need a 10-24!!! Period!
I would continue to use my EF 11-24. The drop-in filter adapter is very useful and a far better solution than the dinner plate filters (which I don’t have) needed for a lens without a real rear filter option. If an RF 10-24 was available without a drop-in filters and I didn’t already have the EF 11-24, I’d buy the latter anyway.

Same goes for my TS-E 17. I do have the salad plate filters for that, and the DI filter is sooooo much better.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I would continue to use my EF 11-24. The drop-in filter adapter is very useful and a far better solution than the dinner plate filters (which I don’t have) needed for a lens without a real rear filter option. If an RF 10-24 was available without a drop-in filters and I didn’t already have the EF 11-24, I’d buy the latter anyway.

Same goes for my TS-E 17. I do have the salad plate filters for that, and the DI filter is sooooo much better.
The EF-RF drop in filter adapter certainly keeps the EF12-24 relevant in this RF world, we now live in. That's why you see almost no used bargain pricing for the 12-24.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Yes, because he mentioned wanting a lens for Super35 (e.g., the Cinema EOS C70). But I doubt we’ll see a lens like that.
That is why Canon made the Focal Reducer Adaptor for the C70. So they don't have to make a bunch of dedicated s35 lenses. On the flip side, the latest R5 update includes support for the existing s35 Compact Servo cine zooms to support the very good APS-c video from the R5. AFAIK, the the focal reducer also works with the R5, but doesn't (yet at least) have the level of support that it does for the C70.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
It’s amazing to me how many people seem to get so much satisfaction disparaging brands they don’t prefer as opposed to using the ones they do, or have.

Why not do something at least remotely constructive?
Many of them can barely afford a phone (or have a free one issued by the govt) and under different aliases disparage all brands because they can't afford any.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Yes, in many cases it makes a lot more sense to use adapted EF lenses. Sometimes the RF versions offer superior sharpness, but it's worth asking whether we'd actually notice the difference if photographing anything other than a test chart. Sometimes the RF versions are more compact, but that may be because they extend when zooming or focusing, and it's arguable that "extending" lenses are more prone to suck in moisture or fine dust. Sometimes the RF versions focus closer, but it's worth asking whether that abilty is worth the usually considerably higher asking price.

... and sometimes there simply isn't an RF version of a favourite lens available - it seems pretty unlikely e.g. that an RF 180mm macro will appear in the next couple of years, and there is no RF 24mm tilt-shift yet.

I've got a couple of RF lenses - 24-105mm F4 (to replace a stolen EF version) and 800mm F11 (unavailable in EF), but I won't be "upgrading" my EF 100mm macro, or my EF 100-400mm, as there is no worthwhile (to me) advantage in doing so.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Since I`m not interested in any of the "not-yet-released-or-announced-lenses" on CR’s roadmap, I'm hoping for a lense that is such a huge surprise that absolutely nobody could’ve seen it coming. Something like a 35-135mm F2.8-4 or an 50-105mm F2-2.8 zoom or just something with a crazy feature :) or a killer astro lense (RF 12mm F2 where are you?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Oh good. As soon as its announced, they will say that demand has far exceeded their expectations and there will be a delay. So maybe you'll get it in 2024!
Well, I guess that won't bother you anymore given you have "just dumped my R6, RP and RF glass because I was tired of waiting for quality lenses that didnt cost $2500", and have headed off to the Sony Promised Land.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Since I`m not interested in any of the "not-yet-released-or-announced-lenses" on CR’s roadmap, I'm hoping for a lense that is such a huge surprise that absolutely nobody could’ve seen it coming. Something like a 35-135mm F2.8-4 or an 50-105mm F2-2.8 zoom or just something with a crazy feature :) or a killer astro lense (RF 12mm F2 where are you?)
I don't mind variable aperture lenses, and I also like the idea of them being faster than Canon has been making them recently. One of my all-time favorite lenses is the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 for APS-C. I rarely shoot that wide, in fact I'm an "f/8 and be there" guy, having learned photography in the 1980's with a Canon AV-1. But I like the size and weight of the larger aperture lens. I have long fingers and it handles well on both my 7D Mark II and a6400 (with an adapter, of course).

When that old AV-1 died in 1992, one of the factors that led me to choose the EOS system was the feel and handling of the lenses. And these were the consumer-grade lenses, like the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, not the L lenses (and in those days even the EF 28-70L was variable aperture, f/2.8-4). I remember looking at the window display in a shop one night and there was an EOS body with its "normal" kit zoom lens right next to somebody else's body with its normal kit zoom lens. The lens on the EOS just looked so much more substantial, almost muscular, next to the skinny, fragile-looking lens on the other camera. I don't remember what camera it was or what lens it was, but it made an impression on me.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Yeah. RF 14-21/1.4 where are you?

Upvote 0