Canon registers a new RF mount lens

May 12, 2015
They need to make a lightweight f1.8 zoom is for s35. It's way overdue. The f1.4 35 is still kinda new and excellent and we got the f1.8. Personally I am not in a rush for that lens over other lenses. I rather a 135mm over that because the current one is ancient.
A 135mm f1.4 would be my hope too.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
There is a sentiment that Canon should first provide the equipment they have already announced. I agree with that sentiment.
I understand your concerns and frustration. Unfortunately with the ongoing chip shortages, I would not expect any camera manufacturer to readily meet demand for newly released products. The best advice I have is pre-order as soon as the product is announced and hope for the best. So far that approach has worked for me both locally and via internet orders.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I understand your concerns and frustration. Unfortunately with the ongoing chip shortages, I would not expect any camera manufacturer to readily meet demand for newly released products. The best advice I have is pre-order as soon as the product is announced and hope for the best. So far that approach has worked for me both locally and via internet orders.
I concur with your statement, John but think what Sanj is referring to here is, "Why come out with new lenses in a market where you are not even able to meet demand for already announced lenses?" Just adds more buyer frustration to the order process that further inhibits your ability to get older RF lenses. If you are unable to meet demand for it, which we understand, just hold off awhile until such time when you CAN meet demand.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I concur with your statement, John but think what Sanj is referring to here is, "Why come out with new lenses in a market where you are not even able to meet demand for already announced lenses?" Just adds more buyer frustration to the order process that further inhibits your ability to get older RF lenses. If you are unable to meet demand for it, which we understand, just hold off awhile until such time when you CAN meet demand.
Might be a one to two year delay if they take that approach? Best estimates is that chip shortages into Q1-Q2 2023. Yikes!! There is no great solution to the problem and understand the frustration.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I surely succumb to the 'Amazon prime' expectations - not having to wait more than about 2 days for anything I want. But I don't think businesses can survive just waiting. If they did, people on this forum would be writing Canon off for dead - 'no announcements in x months, i guess the RF system is dead. I'll go buy a Sony.' In the court of internet forums, they can't win.

Since they have to make money to stay in business, it is in their best interest to sell whatever they can make as they go along. Some money coming in is better than none. Many auto manufacturers are doing this now. No cars on the lot, but you can go in and buy one to your spec and a spot in the production queue for when the facility can start back up. They need your deposit to try and stay in business. I had to get a new cell phone this weekend. People were being told to expect to wait at least 3 months for the new iPhone (pre-orders expected to well out pace manufacturing capacity, even though Apple has some pretty iron clad contracts for production time). Samsung S21s are indefinitely back ordered as well.

Its not a Canon thing. Its a world thing right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’ll try but she’s pretty firm on the subject. But I really love my 70–200mm F4. So compact, so great
It is a nice and compact lens, I saw one in a display case at Best Buy yesterday (although I wasn't shopping for camera gear). Still, if I replace my EF 70-200/2.8 II with an RF version, it will most likely be the f/2.8 lens. Although many of my shots with the EF 24-70/2.8 II were at f/4 or narrower meaning I may stick with the RF 24-105/4L that I have, many of my 70-200 shots were at f/2.8.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If it helps, think of it as a roadmap. They're announcing lenses far enough in advance of actual availability that you can plan a strategy. Avoids the 'impulse buy' because even if you preorder, you have plenty of time to change your mind...
I was thinking the same thing. Canon has been notoriously opaque when it comes to future lens releases, so this is kind of a roadmap to what will be available down the road.

However, I can understand the frustration if they have a lens you really want and you can't get it for months on end. Or, particularly if you are planning a trip or need it for a specific event and can't get it or even plan on when you could get the lens. The 100-500 being a good example. I thought the shortage was about over when mine arrived last month (after ordering in May) but it's obvious that the shortages continue. I'm happy now, but there are probably thousands of others out there still waiting and wondering when it will show up.

I also get the frustration of those who have been waiting for months on end for a lens that's been backordered and they see Canon announcing new lenses. Whether it is true or not, it is just human nature to assume that these new lenses are eating up resources that could be devoted to the lens you are waiting for. And, there is probably some truth to that, as Canon certainly doesn't have infinite manufacturing lines and presumably, they can only devote those lines to a finite number of lenses at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I changed my mind. Since my girlfriend won’t let me own the 70-200mm and the 100-500mm (something about too much overlap and overkill) I am hoping for a 200-700mm (Not 600mm because Canon should beat out Sony] to “complement“ the 70-200mm and kill off her argument because there’s overlap anymore :) come on canon!
Let's see how far you get with that one....we're rootin for you though.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
There is a sentiment that Canon should first provide the equipment they have already announced. I agree with that sentiment.
As others have mentioned, they are sort of damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't announce anything new regularly, they will get killed on social media. This has been happening to Nikon as they went for quite a while without announcing any new products sparking rumors that they were "dead" and with lots of folks claiming it is best to jump ship now as this is clearly a sign of Nikon's demise. Announcing a roadmap can also backfire, as they are constantly criticized for not releasing all the lenses they said they would this year.

What I find rather head-scratching is just how many people are impatient to the point where they need to constantly complain - despite the fact that there are supply issues that are severe. My guess is that almost no one actually needs the camera or lenses they are waiting for. Most people on this forum are already camera and lens owners, so they could just go on using what they have. I understand that forums have mainly become Whining arenas, which, I guess for a person of my generation, is both annoying and mind-boggling. If, as an adult, I whined like a 7 year old child, my parents would have simply told me to grow up. I guess that doesn't happen any more. It is embarrassing to say the least, but I guess many people here have no qualms about embarrassing themselves in front of a world-wide audience.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I changed my mind. Since my girlfriend won’t let me own the 70-200mm and the 100-500mm (something about too much overlap and overkill) I am hoping for a 200-700mm (Not 600mm because Canon should beat out Sony] to “complement“ the 70-200mm and kill off her argument because there’s overlap anymore :) come on canon!
Is your girlfriend providing the money for these lenses? Just asking.

I've owned the EF70-200 f/2.8L or F/4L and 100-400L for two decades but I use them for different things. The 100-400 spent most of its life on an APS-C body but has been replaced there by a 150-600 Sigma Sport. The 70-200 is usually on a FF body.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
"Why come out with new lenses in a market where you are not even able to meet demand for already announced lenses?" Just adds more buyer frustration to the order process that further inhibits your ability to get older RF lenses. If you are unable to meet demand for it, which we understand, just hold off awhile until such time when you CAN meet demand.
Here's why:
1. They have design capacity even with temporary supply chain problems. Why have the designers sit on their thumbs, or hold back models that can be produced and sold?
2. Being seen as a design leader wins people to the platform.
3. People who really want a new one can just order the first day. That ALWAYS works.
4. People who really need one (professionals) can always find one at market price, or rent.
5. A released lens that is out of stock is an eventual sure thing for someone who desires it, but not enough to pay a premium.
6. "Out of stock" suggests desirability, and in demand.
7. Manufacturing capacity isn't necessarily as easy to shift from new releases to the one you want as some might think.
8. Supply chain issues are different from manufacturing line capacity. Selling some new lenses doesn't make that chip for the other lens you really want any slower to arrive.
9. Canon knows lots of reasons why they do what they do, and doesn't benefit from sharing them all with the public.
10. (addition upon editing:) Because the new normal of "if you want anything new, you better order the first ten minutes" is superlative marketing and buyer motivation. Absolute marketing gold. Scarcity, cachet, prestige. All diminished if they are perpertually in stock on every new release from the day of release, and all the worriers can "first read the reviews."

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0