Canon registers new Cinema EOS camera in Indonesia

Indonesian regulatory authorities saw Canon register what it called a “digital cinema camera,” with the model number ID0157. While this could be the Indonesian introduction of the R5c, Canon typically is consistent across countries with its product ID numbers, and the ID0157 appears to be novel.
This comes a few weeks after rumors of a Cinema EOS C5 surfaced, which would be a cross between the recently-released R5c and something with the form factor of the EOS C70. Canon also had some recent patent applications published that provided more of a box camera design, as pictured above.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm correct in saying that most previous Canon cameras were first registered (for reasons unknown) in Russia.
Now that Putin's warfare has isolated Russia from the rest of the world, I wonder if we'll see future models being registered in Indonesia instead?

They need to be registered, eventually, in all the countries that require registration. Indonesia and Russia are frequently cited because they require public registration, and their registration records are accessible online. It also helps that those two registries are inconsistent in publication timing, so manufacturers sometimes need to register a bit earlier than they'd otherwise like, giving us scoops occasionally a few weeks before proper announcement.

Being registered in one country doesn't check off the registration box in another country.

Often, especially in these third-tier markets, Canon will register a product much later than it appeared in Japan/Europe/Americas. This can be confusing as to whether we're seeing something new versus some old thing that was simply not yet released in that smaller market.

Last year, for instance, they registered the EF 100mm L Macro lens in Russia. Russia is very sensitive about electronics that monkey with radio transmission. They've always been like that. I'm not actually sure that they hadn't released that lens in Russia previously (less likely) or if Canon needed to re-register the lens due to a swap-out of a part (more likely).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Canon has halted sales in Russia.
Forcing them to buy Sony gear as punishment, a very Machiavellian plan indeed! Does the Geneva convention allow that? I'm not sure how ethical that is.

It's generally believed that when people with light complexions are photographed with Sony cameras, it gives their skin tones a yellow-greenish tint. Russians generally have very fair complexions, I suspect a conspiracy here to make Russians "look bad"! ;)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The image looks a lot like the Red Komodo. I wonder if Canon will implement R3D in this model? They clearly have a working relationship with Red. I think a box style Canon with built in NDs and Global shutter would be awesome. Add SDI, HDMI, timecode and mini XLRs and you have a winner. Oh and make that box metal and weather sealed.

One last IMPORTANT feature… add additional 1/4 20 screw holes to the front (top and bottom). This will allow for points to secure accessories that support PL lenses.

Upvote 0
Well, for the "year of the camera-body" it has been kind of slow... so far, one specialty camera (R5c) and noting else in sight DSLM wise, so makes sense to at least have a cine camera coming

I thought Canon might wanna use the 35 years EF mount jubilee this month or CP+ show to introduce more lenses and cameras but I guess I'm mistaken here.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
I
The image looks a lot like the Red Komodo. I wonder if Canon will implement R3D in this model? They clearly have a working relationship with Red. I think a box style Canon with built in NDs and Global shutter would be awesome. Add SDI, HDMI, timecode and mini XLRs and you have a winner. Oh and make that box metal and weather sealed.

One last IMPORTANT feature… add additional 1/4 20 screw holes to the front (top and bottom). This will allow for points to secure accessories that support PL lenses.
would buy 4 of these on day 1.

Upvote 0
I would love a BS1H/Komodo style camera from Canon - small, lightweight, and easier for gimbals - but only if it has Internal NDs, timecode, and a couple mini XLRs (or a V-Raptor style XLR breakout box).

I have a feeling the Komodo is partly designed by Canon. There have been plenty of Canon patents over the years that look a lot like the Komodo. With internal raw, and pretty compressed raw at that, being shared between the two, as well as the RF-Mount on Red cameras and better autofocus, I wouldn't be surprised if they're sharing quite a bit of tech.

Hope Canon has one coming out soon as I love the box-style design.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, for the "year of the camera-body" it has been kind of slow...

You may recall - with frustration - that 2014 was tipped by Canon to be the "year of the lens." That was a thrill-a-minute too, especially the first 5 months, where there wasn't a single lens released. They did manage 6 before the year was out, but only three were EF full frame lenses.

If we follow that pattern, we'll see slightly more than the average number of bodies released in the second half (2?).

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
When I first galnced at the diagram, I thought it was going to say that Canon registered a front-loading washing machine patent. Maybe Canon is looking to diversify their product range before smartphones swallow up the rest of their market. :ROFLMAO:
Have you ever seen Canon's actual product range? Like for real? They're huge in the medical industry and they are one of the largest suppliers of semiconducter manufacturing equipment like photo lithography machines for producing CPUs and such. I'm pretty sure they produce the equipment other manufacturers use to make OLED displays as well.
It's crazy how big Canon is and how little of a portion of their overall revenue photography is. Like, I think less than 10%. It's kind of why Canon can just chill for a while if they want, but Nikon is in dire straights. (side note: they employ nearly 200,000 people).

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Have you ever seen Canon's actual product range? Like for real? They're huge in the medical industry and they are one of the largest suppliers of semiconducter manufacturing equipment like photo lithography machines for producing CPUs and such. I'm pretty sure they produce the equipment other manufacturers use to make OLED displays as well.
It's crazy how big Canon is and how little of a portion of their overall revenue photography is. Like, I think less than 10%. It's kind of why Canon can just chill for a while if they want, but Nikon is in dire straights. (side note: they employ nearly 200,000 people).
I was joking in my post, but I'm well aware that Canon is invested in many other areas of technology, a glance at the Canon website shows how diverse their product range is.

It's curious that with so much investment in various technologies, Canon is having issues coding stable microcontroller firmware for their more advanced cameras. These firmware only camera microcontrollers are nowhere are complex or powerful as the ones in smartphones, which run whole software operating systems and applications, yet the phones don't freeze up like the cameras do, or require fimware fixes as often. This is definitely new ground for Canon, and I think their increasing implementation of more advanced computing technology in their cameras is showing they have a long way to go in that area.

Upvote 0