Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

i second this as well as what happens if the ambient temp is warmer
if you're out in 40C weather and need to shoot video... you can expect to shoot much less than expected. The only thing to keep in mind is how much do you need to shoot. I'm no video shooter and couldn't care much about this overheating concern, but is it really normal to want to record more than 20 minutes of 8K RAW video on a regular basis? Seriously, where in the world will you store all that data? I can understand short clips here and there, just like in movie production. But 20 minutes of 8K RAW?? Or even 4k 120fps. I think it's a very specific setting used for shooting SECONDS to then use as slow motion footage. Does anyone expect to be shooting 15 minutes of 4k 120fps footage?

Then, at the end of the day, if this overheating thing affects you regularly, you're probably chose the wrong camera to do your work with. Look towards Canon's Cinema series if you need to record so much video at such high quality without needing downtime. Their bigger form factor allows for extra cooling. If it affects you rarely, is it really an issue? And out of the times it affected you, how many of those times were of the type where it was perfectly ok to just take a break and have a chat/coffee while the camera cooled down? I think in a significant majority of cases, the number of times this overheating issue will critically cripple a user (from the correct target base for the camera) is insignificant.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

JP Davis

EOS R5, EOS R
Jul 19, 2019
I find the heat issue very disturbing. There is a need to have this small sized camera for video work on a gimbal. Few years back I used 7DII to shoot TEDx conference. It was one time job in a life. But I did it. I'll still wait for a full frame camera with interchangeable lens that can shoot 4K/60, unlimited recording time and a decent codec. The R mount and drop in filter adapters could solve even the ND issue on DSLRs. With little money we could add that feature found in cinema cameras. But, I guess, Cannon won't offer this for a low price. 1DXIII has no issues regarding overheating. R6, instead, for less money, with the same sensor, has this problem. Finally everything is about marketing, about money. I'm happy that Canon somehow answered. It's a shame.
EDIT: overheating is real:

This isn't a money issue, its a simple physics issue. Your comparison to the 1DXIII makes no sense, it is twice the size of the R5, shooting a sensor less than half the MP and at a lower resolution video. Of course it can manage heat better. You're packing a lot of processing into a much smaller space, the heat has to go somewhere.

If this were a pure money play Canon wouldn't have introduced these features into this line at all, instead leaving it in their much more expensive cinema line.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

JP Davis

EOS R5, EOS R
Jul 19, 2019
So, for the R5, both line-skipped FF 4K30 and oversampled APS-C 4K30 have no heat issues?

Which means, in video mode it's actually no worse than any other weather-sealed mirrorless camera with stills ergonomics?

Well that will hardly get you clicks on your Youtube video. Better go with the fire graphics instead :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm super happy about this. Gives people something new to complain about on the forum.
I was wondering which issue would be first.

"Whaaaa my finger isn't a perfect match for the battery door latch, CRIPPLE!"

"The strap lugs aren't a colorway match for my bespoke vegan turtle hair wriststrap"

"The R5 font is seriously keeping me up at night"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
if you're out in 40C weather and need to shoot video... you can expect to shoot much less than expected. The only thing to keep in mind is how much do you need to shoot. I'm no video shooter and couldn't care much about this overheating concern, but is it really normal to want to record more than 20 minutes of 8K RAW video on a regular basis? Seriously, where in the world will you store all that data? I can understand short clips here and there, just like in movie production. But 20 minutes of 8K RAW?? Or even 4k 120fps. I think it's a very specific setting used for shooting SECONDS to then use as slow motion footage. Does anyone expect to be shooting 15 minutes of 4k 120fps footage? [..]
Not in one go, but heat is a cumulative effect, so the question is more like "How many minutes of slow-mo can I shoot in a morning in a 30C location?"
That's where the "real world reviews" come in :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
I watched a viedo posted on here where by a guy who tested the R5 said 4K @ 30p was also heat limited at higher ambient temeratures.

There are two type of 4K 30p that can be recorded by the R5. One is oversampled from 8K, it has a heat limit. The other is not oversampled from 8K, it has no heat limit. You can record that for as long as you can even though you have to hit record again every 29.59 minutes just like all Canon DSLR.

The oversampled 4K 30p give more information, but the regular 4K 30p is also very good according to Canon. People are getting these two modes mixed up or thinking they are one and the same.

The basic truth according to the information we have right now is that you can record normal 4K 30p without any heat restriction. If you want anything higher than the normal 4K 30p, then you have restrictions on the R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Oh, you mean to actually use it as a photo camera, not as a dedicated video camera?
Come on, that's crazy talk! We really want those long, boring YouTube videos to get longer and higher resolution...:)
Anything less thank 8K is not YouTube worthy not in 2020. Ask Tony and Chelsea.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
4K 30p sounds good enough for me and a great option for normal people. I can understand some people want the 4k 120p option for slow motion but i'm not really sure why the limit would be an issue as how much slow motion would you want to film at once? As far as 8K, I genuinely think its an amazing achievement to have that in a mirrorless body this size and whilst I feel for those that want this feature and be able to have unlimited recording time, realistically unless the laws of physics can be changed, it's not going to happen any time soon. Sorry folks.
Well there goes my plan of filming a 2 hour IMAX movie in one take with a $3,800 camera. So unfair. #sarcasm

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Not in one go, but heat is a cumulative effect, so the question is more like "How many minutes of slow-mo can I shoot in a morning in a 30C location?"
That's where the "real world reviews" come in :)
You nailed it! Your question makes totally sense to me.
Shooting 45min 8K doesn't make sense what so ever to me, regardless of who is saying it.
However, if I intend to shoot 4K120, 30sec each, how long do I have to wait between takes in order to be able to shoot for 2 hours?
I am not a slow mo guy, and won't do that, but I can understand if someone wants to.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Wouldnt that create a lot of noise that will get recorded?
There is a little issue. You need some sort of vents to let the hot air out. See where I am going with that? It may inadvertently let a light in. Oops. I see a solution. A spiral vent / channel like around the entire adapter. Light does not travel in spirals. Reflections can be dealt with. It gonna work. I am sure Canon is across of this.

Upvote 0