Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
It's my definition of a jerk. ;) I no longer view anything of his.

Jack
A truly awful and very biased video comparing 2 cameras that have 2 totally different specifications. apples and Pears? The Sony hasn't even been officially announced and both cameras have never been tested in production form.

lol, I love the suggestion their channel should be renamed Sony & Chelsea Northrup. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Upvote 0
who cares if it was a little bigger, just put a fan in!
If they put a fan in, the camera won't suit previous 5D buyers as weather sealing and ruggedization are core to the use of a 5D. Instead, they'd capture the few people who really want an 8K camera, but lose those that shoot in inclement weather. I think there is more to lose than to gain for Canon in making that choice - it would leave a significant hole in Canon's broader camera lineup.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
If they put a fan in, the camera won't suit previous 5D buyers as weather sealing and ruggedization are core to the use of a 5D. Instead, they'd capture the few people who really want an 8K camera, but lose those that shoot in inclement weather. I think there is more to lose than to gain for Canon in making that choice - it would leave a significant hole in Canon's broader camera lineup.

This is why I think they should have taken a page from Panasonic's playbook and made an R6H version with a bigger body and a fan, maybe they still will. The only way they will is if people talk with their wallets and sit this one out until something changes.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This is why I think they should have taken a page from Panasonic's playbook and made an R6H version with a bigger body and a fan, maybe they still will. The only way they will is if people talk with their wallets and sit this one out until something changes.
Well, I don't want a fan and bigger body, so my wallet won't talk to that point.

Jack

Upvote 0
I disagree with you
Only lions can consistently sit around with a kill in the wild for an hour or so

cheetahs are skittish
They will kill then eat as much as possible right away. If possible they will hide their prey in a tree.

bigger cats, hyenas and wild dogs will smell the prey and take it. They will easily kill the cheetah if it resisted. They usually can’t sit around with their prey for too long. cheetahs often don’t have the luxury to cool down until after they’ve eaten and they will retreat to their den or a tree and nap with a full belly.

Again, it seems that it is an imaginary scenario. Cheetahs are grassland hunters and do not climb trees! Their claws, more like dog claws, do not retract so they cannot climb!!
My point is that unfortunately many of the usage scenarios in defense of overheating any camera (from any manufacturer) seem to be naive and unrealistic. The manufacturers trust feedback from actual users of their products; and have good idea of the practical use-cases of their goods; and develop features that match those needs; while working within the physics and thermodynamics constraints. They do not have budget, time and resources to develop features for imaginary use-cases.

• Love
Upvote 0
Good news. With all this negativity, the price should be just about right by Christmas. :D I'm a stills shooter, mostly wildlife and landscapes, and am excited about the R5 AF and FPS. I wish the R6 had a little more MPs and that would be a no brainer for me. As I mentioned, I shoot stills, but if I wanted to shoot 8K video I'm not sure I could afford the R5, the costs of very large CFExpress cards, a more powerful PC to manage the large 8K files and likely a better monitor to see the 8K goodness and additional storage to store the files. Why are hobbies so expensive?

I wonder where all this will end? Just how much detail can the human eye/brain discern?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon have made video-focused cameras in DSLR bodies in the past (i.e. 1DC) - maybe an R5C is in the cards to answer those concerns. In all honesty though, I know video is a core part of a lot of peoples workflow, but I do wonder about the proportionality of work divided between stills and video. I mean, if Canon severely compromised the stills function to manage better video features, would the camera sell better (since that's what Canon will care about and drive their decisions)? What about vice versa?

One thing I feel pretty confident about is that the 5D series has a reasonable following for a reason: straying from or compromising that formula in any big way would be potentially disruptive. For me, loss of weather sealing could mean I wouldn't have a great upgrade path in Canon until they offer another camera with reasonably high resolution and 5D-equivalent weather sealing. While I'm only one person, and less than a drop in the pool of consumers, I strongly suspect there are a lot of other photographers out there who care more about the weather sealing than pushing past a 20 minute 8K recording limit.

Upvote 0
Canon have made video-focused cameras in DSLR bodies in the past (i.e. 1DC) - maybe an R5C is in the cards to answer those concerns.

nah the bar is set. A high-grade video-centric camera would need to have 8K which automatically means 44.7mp like in the R5. Relatedly, A7SII is screwed and DoA because it won't have 8K with its laughable pitiful 12mp.

Upvote 0

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
I will be using the R5 for stills, occasional 4k30, and maybe a couple minutes of 4k120 every now and then if I specifically want a slowmo shot. So I agree, I'm glad they kept the camera weather sealed/presumably cheaper in lieu of an active cooling solution for extreme video users. The camera is sounding perfect to me.

What would be cool to see, in my opinion, is something like a heat sink routed along the bottom of the camera that's hidden with a removable weather-sealed door. You can remove the door and add a battery grip w/active cooling.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Perhaps I'm just a crazy fanboy, but this seems... entirely reasonable and not at all out of step with what I expected? Not only that, but I actually think Canon's transparency on the matter is enormously refreshing? Am I the insane one here?

I am usually very quick to criticize large companies who fail to meet expectations or pull some pseudo bait-and-switch nonsense, but I genuinely don't believe the outsized criticism of these heat "issues" is warranted. The R5 is not -- and was never advertised as -- a C500 replacement. The spec sheet, even including these high end recording limitations, is more than I possibly could have asked for 6 months ago. What were others who are more critical honestly expecting? (This is not a pejorative statement by the way, I'm genuinely curious -- if you're disappointed by this, what were your expectations?)

No, you are not the insane one here. It was pretty obvious as Canon being the first one to add 8K to a mirrorless camera that there were going to be some limitations (as is true with most new tech). If we all remember, Sony ran into the same overheating issues with small recording times when first adding 4K to there A7 line of mirrorless cameras. Heck, they even had that issue with the first RX100 with 4K (5 minute max 4K recording). The R5 was never advertised as being a cinema camera, nor did Canon ever make any sort of claim that it would be. And no, no company in history has ever released a list of limitations ahead of a product launch. The fact that Canon has been 100% transparent about it since the announcement means they were never hiding or denying those limitations.

The R5 is a worthy successor to the 5D Mark VI, and as a well rounded camera for professionals. Is it a FF cinema on cheap, no. Has any FF camera really delivered on that? Possibly only the Sony A7S II, but that isn't perfect either (hint, no camera really is).

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Mostly
I don't see anything about the HDMI version in that link you sent me. If you have it available, could you quote it in a post. You're most likely right about it not being 2.1, but I want confirmation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
and I quote "EOS R5 holds its own as the lead camera in productions"

Here's something else Canon says, from the same piece (my emphasis) - you seem to have "accidentally" neglected to tell the whole story:
it’s an ideal support filming camera

Are you telling us that a camera that can do 4k 10 bit for as long as it's needed and cropped/uncropped 8k 10 bit as well, doesn't fulfil the criteria to be a pro support camera?

Canon also says (my emphasis again):
the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets

Seems to me that they're very being clear that depending on the production, the R5 might serve as the lead device, or as a support camera.

And at 4k, yes, if can be the lead camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I find the heat issue very disturbing. There is a need to have this small sized camera for video work on a gimbal. Few years back I used 7DII to shoot TEDx conference. It was one time job in a life. But I did it. I'll still wait for a full frame camera with interchangeable lens that can shoot 4K/60, unlimited recording time and a decent codec. The R mount and drop in filter adapters could solve even the ND issue on DSLRs. With little money we could add that feature found in cinema cameras. But, I guess, Cannon won't offer this for a low price. 1DXIII has no issues regarding overheating. R6, instead, for less money, with the same sensor, has this problem. Finally everything is about marketing, about money. I'm happy that Canon somehow answered. It's a shame.
EDIT: overheating is real:

It's not that Canon won't add it at a cheap price, its that its not possible to add it while also making the camera work for stills in a variety of environments (weather sealed body, small size, etc). The 1DX Mark III doesn't have issues with overheating because the body is far larger to dissipate the heat. It's purely physics. Canon made two incredible FF cameras to go along with their highly regarded RF lenses. Are they perfect? No. Is any camera perfect? At this point in time, no.

Upvote 0