Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Where does one need continuos drive in silent mode where there is no flickering lights? Not scare animals?
When covering meetings with governors, legislative leaders, etc., where the group requesting the meeting wants a record of the meeting, but you need to be discrete.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Canon are very good with their products, and undoubtedly have a robust suite of resilient products.

But. There is always a BUT.
Folks have been patiently waiting for the firmware update, announced straight after EOS R launch.
The timing of the announcement in itself wasn't great, because it conveyed the impression that The R in itself was rushed to market, and wasn't quite launch-ready.

In a previous CR article, the detail below was shared.
https://www.canonrumors.com/functio...os-r-soon-after-release-with-firmware-update/

What’s coming in the firmware?
  • Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
  • Additional touch bar functionality added.
  • Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
  • A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
  • Bug fixes
I had been checking the official Canon web page, waiting for the update.
On 5th February, i realised that there was an updated User Guide (Advanced_User_Guide_EN) and Supplemental Information (Supplemental_Information_Manual_EN).

Closer examination revealed to me = Release date 25 January 2019

I scanned the content of the User Guide, and Eye detect AF in continuous shooting was not listed as a new functionality. I was disappointed of course.

Currently, Eye Detection AF is only available when [AF1: AF operation] is set to [One-Shot AF] and [AF1: AF method] is set to [Face+Tracking].

Not only was I expecting Eye Detection AF in continuous shooting, but i was also looking forward to a bug fix to increase the shooting distance for Eye AF in Face Tracking mode. Currently, it works only well under very good lighting AND at headshot distance only.

Now to another point. The file naming convention for this update.
EOS R Firmware Version 1.1.0

Software companies will generally increment the last digit of the filename for minor bug fixes (e.g. Version 1.0.1).
For a major release, they will increment the second digit (e.g. Version 1.1.0)
Canon have used the latter.
This means, we aren't likely to get a major firmware update IF or WHEN the RP is release on Thursday 14th February (as rumoured. what a coincidence, there may be some broken hearts on Valentines' Day).

Another interesting point is that it is rumoured that the rumoured-to-be-released Canon EOS RP will have Eye detection AF in BOTH One-Shot AF and continuous shooting. Now, that will be very very (and i mean VERY) interesting if that were to happen.

I think it makes a lot of sense NOW with the RP coming out, thereby announcing this new functionality of the EOS R concurrently to offer even more distinction between the two models. And with that older list being from September, a lot may have changed since then. While I doubt we will see higher frame rates in 4K, we could see some additional output capability, considering that Nikon has a (albeit lite) RAW output in 4K that works in tandem with Atomos recorders like the Ninja to record straight out the camera into ProRes RAW... which is pretty sweet.

Now, will Canon also do that? Eh... I wouldn't bank on it. But's fun to wish. One of these two rigs is going to join the rest of my big Canon product family, just don't know which yet. If the RP has the same basic 4K specs as the EOS R (with the good clean output) I'd rather that one due to the crop factor. I have lots of other Canons I'd use for stills work. These are video machines for me.

Upvote 0

Jerryrigged

CANON EOS R & 5D IV
Jul 15, 2016
California
CR reported that a bug fix might be coming before any new feature versions. We usually know when a new version is almost here because it appears on shipping cameras first.

It also mentions a need to update lens firmware.

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware Version 1.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, this update is unnecessary. When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
The firmware update takes approximately 6 minutes.

Caution:
(1) When using the continuous shooting option when silent shutter has been enabled with the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens, it may be necessary to update the lens' firmware version. If the lens' firmware version is Version 1.1.1, please download the latest firmware version (Version 2.0.0) or later from Canon's Web site to update the lens firmware.
(2) The user guide has been revised to reflect the functional improvements to the product. Please download the latest version of the user guide together with the new firmware. The latest version of the user guide can be downloaded from Canon's Web site.

So, ignoring all the drama over what was left out. I'm not up to date about the Silent Shutter update. Does this mean that I can just shoot as I normally do (Servo AF) and high speed, but with silent shutter enabled? Simple as that? Any downside to this?

With regard to Eye-AF, I find that for close-up head shots, it is not difficult to simply place the AF point on the subject's eye. For shots with subject further away, getting the face and eye in focus is not really a problem for me. I've never tried EYE-AF, so I could be wrong... I guess I'll have to check it out.

Upvote 0
It was a rumor, but it's not in this firmware. Maybe one in the (nearby?) future? But indeed, all full frame (and even aps-c) competition has this feature which has proved to be very useful. It would be a good reason for me to look out for a discounted R as an 'in between body' on our way to a pro version.

What is interesting, is that Sony is moving away from eye AF tracking as dedicated mode. Instead, it's now part of their general 'real time' tracking (where you just place an af point over a subject and it will follow, using ai to learn what's needed:
)

Holy crap that is something!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I don't call people trolls. However, I do get tired of troll like comments that are what I call "stupid" and "useless". Sometimes, regulars on the forum just get fed up with these types of comments and over react to some that are not actually unreasonable. I'm not defending, just clarifying, after all this is a forum I might call Canon Enthusiast Rumors. Aren't we all here hoping for more? However, most of us are not inclined to sulk when we don't get what we want.

Remember much maligned, Dilbert. If nothing else he at least provided some comic relief.;)

Jack

Upvote 0
I agree there is too much now of just calling people who disagree with your opinion a troll. I don't see why it bothers a Canon user who is very happy with Canon that others might have some complaints. I have found the Canon Rumors to be very fair on any commentary they make. They are prepared to give their opinion from time to time on topics. I've no problem people arguing their point either way, I can learn and change my opinions. A Forum is "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" Yes there are some trolls on the site but only a small proportion of those who express disappointment from time to time. For me some of Canons output is fantastic, some if very good, some is good and some is not so good. They can't be perfect all the time.

It's disappointing with differences of opinion from Canon users are dismiss as troll comments.

No manufacturers is perfect. Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Nikon all have flaws. canon is certain exempt for it.

Canon do certain really well in the mirrorless (ergonomic, EVF, EF adapter, RF lenses) but certain things they trailed behind the competitions on certain things (eyeAF, IBIS, 4K, sensor, FW update).

I'm just glad to have 4 major FF mirrorless players now as oppose to Canon and Nikon like back in the old days.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm just glad to have 4 major FF mirrorless players now as oppose to Canon and Nikon like back in the old days.

Be prepared to be disappointed again, if the market shrinks by 50% as forecasted by Canon. Looking at the major players, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fujifilm, it looks like there will be a lot of disappointed users who will see their system disappear in a couple of years.

Upvote 0
Be prepared to be disappointed again, if the market shrinks by 50% as forecasted by Canon. Looking at the major players, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fujifilm, it looks like there will be a lot of disappointed users who will see their system disappear in a couple of years.

Nikon doesn't look too good. They have close to ~20% down in revenue from year to year. They may be out.

Canon and Sony is a safer bet.

I don't know about Panasonic-Leica-Sigma Alliance. They are part of the Alliance and Panasonic did restructure their imaging division to appliances. Panasonic is a big company and Sigma make money on lenses for multiple mounts.

Upvote 0
Nikon doesn't look too good. They have close to ~20% down in revenue from year to year. They may be out.

Canon and Sony is a safer bet.

I don't know about Panasonic-Leica-Sigma Alliance. They are part of the Alliance and Panasonic did restructure their imaging division to appliances. Panasonic is a big company and Sigma make money on lenses for multiple mounts.

Nikon does not look good... agreed. But I think that Canon and Panasonic will be the last 2 standing (if there were to be only 2). Sony and Panasonic are both electronic giants, but while Panasonic has slow and steady in it's DNA, Sony tends to be flashy and tends to drop division (product lines) when they loose the spotlight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I don't call people trolls. However, I do get tired of troll like comments that are what I call "stupid" and "useless". Sometimes, regulars on the forum just get fed up with these types of comments and over react to some that are not actually unreasonable. I'm not defending, just clarifying, after all this is a forum I might call Canon Enthusiast Rumors. Aren't we all here hoping for more? However, most of us are not inclined to sulk when we don't get what we want.

Remember much maligned, Dilbert. If nothing else he at least provided some comic relief.;)

Jack
I feel sorry for Dilbert. He didn’t even have his own helicopter. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Have you guys actually tried the new firmware? I have.

Eye AF is available in Servo AF and works great.

You can shoot high speed continuous with Servo AF and Eye focusing with or without silent shutter.

What?

It is not available in Servo. Even the menu switches to "deactivated" when choosing Servo, and back to "activated" when in One Shot. I also tried it and it does not work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

5D35D46D2R

There's Canon. And there are other Cameras.
Feb 12, 2019
Have you guys actually tried the new firmware? I have.

Eye AF is available in Servo AF and works great.

You can shoot high speed continuous with Servo AF and Eye focusing with or without silent shutter.
Sir or Madam, yes, I have installed the firmware update, and i can confirm that the functionality IS NOT available in SERVO mode.

That is confirmed by me updating my EOS R, and trying it (more than once to be certain).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0