Canon releases their Third Quarter 2020 financials

A7III/A7IV or A7sIII with a RF mount would be excellent. A C70 with viewfinder, Wi-Fi.... would be awesome.
Canon's strategy for not opening up their RF mount protocol would seem to have traction then. You like the RF lenses but not the bodies. The days of Sony adapting Canon's latest lenses seems to be over.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
5.9million was shipped but were they bought?

What can ILCs do that a 10yo camera cannot do if you just need photos for a budget-constrained client?
Does Canon make consignment shipments to dealers? At any rate, people are waiting in line for weeks at a time to get the cameras. That should settle that question.

Upvote 0
Does Canon make consignment shipments to dealers? At any rate, people are waiting in line for weeks at a time to get the cameras. That should settle that question.
That assumption is the economical practice during a non-pandemic quarter.

Are people in quarantine areas buying the 1DX3 doing indoor photography?

From March 2020 to today... how are accounts receivable?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That assumption is the economical practice during a non-pandemic quarter.

Are people in quarantine areas buying the 1DX3 doing indoor photography?

From March 2020 to today... how are accounts receivable?
I live in the USA. There are no restrictions on outdoor photography. Our parks are open. Professional sports are still being played with photographers still on the sidelines and cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands. People are still covering political rallies, etc. Amateur sports are being played. Animals are still running around free, etc. The parks I have gone to are almost deserted... so no worry. How are accounts receivable? You tell me. Bigger point: I wonder how many people are so terribly board and ordering new equipment as a way to assuage such boredom.

However, if you have data on how accounts receivable are world wide, I'd be happy to know. People here on this forum are waiting in line for product and want to spend their money.

I make the assumption (probably wrong) that you are in the Philippines. If so, I assume your situation there is far different.

Still the question remains, and you've not answered: Does Canon supply product to dealers on consignment? Or do dealers pay up front? From what I can surmise, demand for the R5 and R6 are very high. Also, many RF lenses are on backorder here. In the USA that market is huge for the consumer and not so big with professionals. I assume the opposite in the Philippines as the average incomes tend to be much lower.

What is the average salary in the Philippines in 2020? Salaried jobs in this country pay an average of $992.19 a month or $11,906.42 a year, while hourly jobs pay $5.73 an hour. These figures reflect gross salaries, which brings the net pay after-tax to an average of $288.35/month. The highest salaries in the country are found in Quezon City, Manila, Davao, and Kalookan cities respectively.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the first quarter of 2020 was $957 per week or $49,764 per year (assuming 52 weeks of work per year).

BTW: You have a beautiful country with wonderful people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I live in the USA. There are no restrictions on outdoor photography. Our parks are open. Professional sports are still being played with photographers still on the sidelines and cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands. People are still covering political rallies, etc. Amateur sports are being played. Animals are still running around free, etc. The parks I have gone to are almost deserted... so no worry. How are accounts receivable? You tell me. Bigger point: I wonder how many people are so terribly board and ordering new equipment as a way to assuage such boredom.

However, if you have data on how accounts receivable are world wide, I'd be happy to know. People here on this forum are waiting in line for product and want to spend their money.

I make the assumption (probably wrong) that you are in the Philippines. If so, I assume your situation there is far different.

Still the question remains, and you've not answered: Does Canon supply product to dealers on consignment? Or do dealers pay up front? From what I can surmise, demand for the R5 and R6 are very high. Also, many RF lenses are on backorder here. In the USA that market is huge for the consumer and not so big with professionals. I assume the opposite in the Philippines as the average incomes tend to be much lower.

What is the average salary in the Philippines in 2020? Salaried jobs in this country pay an average of $992.19 a month or $11,906.42 a year, while hourly jobs pay $5.73 an hour. These figures reflect gross salaries, which brings the net pay after-tax to an average of $288.35/month. The highest salaries in the country are found in Quezon City, Manila, Davao, and Kalookan cities respectively.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the first quarter of 2020 was $957 per week or $49,764 per year (assuming 52 weeks of work per year).

You took a lot of effort to reply back.

Everything you mentioned could be done with preexisting gear that was bought before March or even before 2020.

With budget cuts due to reduced revenues I'd be surprised if orders were not cancelled.

Are there enough bored people with excess cash to buy camera gear on a whim?

U.S. Jobless Claims Fall to Lowest Level Since Start of Coronavirus Pandemic 7 months ago. Is it sufficient enough to get people spending again?

People on any photo forum do not embody everyone who buys products from Canon or other camera brand. We're enthusiasts who will buy anything and everything so long as the Mrs permits it.

I would hazard a guess that people that regularly posts on forums are less than 10% of the market.

If forums did embody the majority then why are there not nearly 6 million user names on CanonRumors to match the 5.9 million bodies shipped?

Demand could be because of very conservative forecast from both Canon Japan and their sister companies that market and distribute their products on their behalf. So manufacturing plant output is below what Canon thinks people are willing to spend on.

I am not talking about this from the perspective within the Philippines as almost all members here are non-Filipinos. My country of origin nor where I am posting from is immaterial.

The Philippine's economy has more room to grow than many developed countries so sales here should have a larger % increase than rich countries. But naturally rich countries have larger absolute increase in terms of $.

When talking about income data use what is available within the last 7 months and not before March. The article posted is about the latest quarter and not last year's.

Upvote 0

Is it buy buy or bye bye actually sold and paid for camera and lenses compared to previous years of the same quarter?

Upvote 0