Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM being released early?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 500mmPF more than covers me. Also, I have the 100-400II that I can pair with 5DsR and 90D.

I would be tempted for getting 100-500 IF and only IF I had a R5. I may consider R5 in a couple of years - after the end of COVID issue - when I start shooting again in low light places if the 5-stop of R wih 15-35 and 24-70 are not enough. But I do believe they will prove more than enough considering I get decent results from 5DIV with 16-35 2.8L III and 24-105 4L IS (version 1).

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Two days ago, I got a notice from Canon that my RF 100-500 would ship within 48-72 hrs.
I checked my account and the message went from back ordered to
I'll let you know when I get notice of shipping- hopefully tomorrow or Friday.
sek
July 25, 2020 Order received and ready for processing

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
OK, so I purchased this without any real reviews. Does anybody know how good this lens is, and where I can find out anything more about it (besides Canon website)?
Thx
Scott
Don't think there are real world reviews or tests yet, I'm watching for them myself and expect them in the next week as a few shipping notices have started showing up.

Personally I wouldn't worry, I think it will probably be a solid lens.

It would be extremely strange if it is not equal or better than the EF 100-400 mk2 through most of the range and have usable 500 mm. Canon just doesn't really do too many L lenses that have part of the zoom range with junk quality and I wouldn't think this would be the case here. The RF lenses have been notably great performers in sharpness and stabilization. Hoping and expecting that to be true here too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
OK, so I purchased this without any real reviews. Does anybody know how good this lens is, and where I can find out anything more about it (besides Canon website)?
Thx
Scott
Nope. Other than one or two cursory reviews on youtube nobody knows anything about it. Since you purchased it blind you'll be one of the first to know whether it overheats or not. Don't feel bad. I purchased it too.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Don't think there are real world reviews or tests yet, I'm watching for them myself and expect them in the next week as a few shipping notices have started showing up.

Personally I wouldn't worry, I think it will probably be a solid lens.

It would be extremely strange if it is not equal or better than the EF 100-400 mk2 through most of the range and have usable 500 mm. Canon just doesn't really do too many L lenses that have part of the zoom range with junk quality and I wouldn't think this would be the case here. The RF lenses have been notably great performers in sharpness and stabilization. Hoping and expecting that to be true here too.
Thanks.! I'm hoping it will be better than the 100-400 II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Nope. Other than one or two cursory reviews on youtube nobody knows anything about it. Since you purchased it blind you'll be one of the first to know whether it overheats or not. Don't feel bad. I purchased it too.
Well if it overheats, I guess I'll just get asbestos gloves!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Mines being delivered tomorrow , I know some have had it delivered today , I could have had mine today but I didn't see the email from the dealer until this morning .
Congrats! Please, please, please, guys and gals who get the first wave, please post some pics so we can all share in your joy!
Scott

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mine is still showing Backordered Coming Soon. I ordered mine 8/6/20 from B&H.

If your FedEx main office is close to you, you can have them hold it for pickup. I usually do that and it saves at least a day on normal B&H shipments but the lens is supposed be one day delivery so it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0