Canon RF 28mm f/2.8 STM Pancake teardown

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hmmm.... I do like this focal length. I'm sure it'll beat my 28mm Takumar. My copy is sharp, but I would guess the RF will out resolve my 50 year old Takumar. I think the price is right.

Great video of the teardown.
It will certainly spank the Tak in the corners at all apertures. Maybe not so much in the centre when the Tak’s aperture is smaller than 3.5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It will certainly spank the Tak in the corners at all apertures. Maybe not so much in the centre when the Tak’s aperture is smaller than 3.5.
Actually, to quote my own post.....
I compared the Takumar 35/3.5 to the Canon EF 35/2 IS..........the Tak didn't compare well at any aperture......maybe there has been some progress ;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Actually, to quote my own post.....
I compared the Takumar 35/3.5 to the Canon EF 35/2 IS..........the Tak didn't compare well at any aperture......maybe there has been some progress ;)
Main trouble with old WA lenses on digital cameras is softness in the corners. Even Leica M lenses sometimes disappoint (1965 M Summicron 35 or R 28mm F2,8), while most 50mm upward lenses are often still brilliant.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Main trouble with old WA lenses on digital cameras is softness in the corners. Even Leica M lenses sometimes disappoint (1965 M Summicron 35 or R 28mm F2,8), while most 50mm upward lenses are often still brilliant.
True, but I kinda like soft corners and a little vignette for what I do. For me, it seems like soft corners add some depth. I especially like it when shooting photos of my old lady.

For kids and landscapes the Canon would be my choice.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
True, but I kinda like soft corners and a little vignette for what I do. For me, it seems like soft corners add some depth. I especially like it when shooting photos of my old lady.

For kids and landscapes the Canon would be my choice.
Agree!
And this is why we should refrain (me too!) from saying "this lens isn't good", but rather say "this lens doesn't suit my particular needs".

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I received an in-stock notification yesterday, so I ordered it and it arrived today. In time for vacation, we leave on Sunday :)

View attachment 210071
This lens, plus the RF 50/1.8 & RP/R8 does rewrite the rules on portable IQ.
My favourite travel camera has been the G1XIII, and that camera is no slouch in the resolution department; the lens is actually very good, especially at the longer end.
I ran a tripod mounted test using the G1XIII at it longest focal length, 70mm equivalent, and optimum aperture, and compared it to the RP & 50/1.8 from the same position but cropped in to the same field of view, now 13 mp instead of 26. I then increased the image size in PS ‘Enhance’ before bringing it back down to 24mp, same as the G1XIII, and compared the two. The RP was dramatically better, with no loss of resolved detail, despite being a 24 vs 13 mp comparison as far as original resolution potential went.
I think I’m going to get a little belt holster for the RP and carry that in the way I can carry the G1XIII. Of course there’s no IS this route, but as I generally have a very light carbon tripod with me that’s not too much of an issue.

Upvote 0
Got mine this afternoon. Will do a more thorough review, but the quick version: It's much sharper than I anticipated. Like, I'm going to get out my Sigma Art 28mm f/1.4 and try to compare the two at f/2.8, and I don't know which will be better.

It's as small as you'd ever want on an R5. Doesn't extend past my knuckles when holding the camera. Reminds me very much of the EF 40 f/2.8.

I think I have a new mount cap.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Got mine this afternoon. Will do a more thorough review, but the quick version: It's much sharper than I anticipated. Like, I'm going to get out my Sigma Art 28mm f/1.4 and try to compare the two at f/2.8, and I don't know which will be better.

It's as small as you'd ever want on an R5. Doesn't extend past my knuckles when holding the camera. Reminds me very much of the EF 40 f/2.8.

I think I have a new mount cap.
@davision published a review on youtube saying the center sharpness rivals the RF f/2.8 zooms. The corner sharpness, vignetting, LoCa and flare resistance are all worse, which is not unexpected.

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
It is a pity that Canon decided to save money and did not decide to extend the lens housing by a few millimeters so that internal focusing would be created. Be prepared for Err 60 if you accidentally insert the lens tube manually, which extends to a maximum length of about 7 mm when focusing at the minimum distance, or if you accidentally hold the lens tube with your fingers.

I leave you to download sample RAW files recorded with this lens model attached to the R6 Mark II:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Asmd3i9rvqAbmX0nRn-fexblcpX0?e=0PjR5O

All photos were taken without lens hood which is yet to arrive. I turned off all adjustments and set Picture Style to Neutral. The mode dial was set to P (Program AE).

Distortion correction is carried out automatically and cannot be turned off from the camera menu.

As for the DxO PhotoLab 5 program that I use in parallel with DPP, it suggests downloading and using modules for Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 and Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM lenses. In my opinion it should not be like that, because all these lens models have a different optical construction (lens arrangement). Of course I immediately submitted a request to DxO Support and I hope that dedicated RAW and JPG modules for this lens model will appear soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Brian at TDP has also published his testing results, but not a review yet.
The lens in remarkably sharp in the corners, but is creating a strong vignette even at f/8 and quite significant distortion. Having said that, the distortion is somewhat less than the 24/1.8, and having seen @neuroanatomist ’s GIF on that lens, corrected and I corrected, I thought it wasn’t too bad, but having seen Brian’s chart is pretty strong.
So this will lens may be interesting. Only trouble is that it’s quite a bit more £ in the UK.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
From Optical Limits - stellar review, especially on MTF! Will certainly be my next lens purchase:
Yes the resolution across the frame, judging by Opticallimits test, is better than anything I’ve seen on a wide angle FF lens. Also backed up by TDP. I think we are going to see a lot more ‘seagull’ aspheric elements in the future !
And people (on forums) say Canon don’t innovate!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Anyone tested on field? MTFs look too good.
The lens is excellent.

Upvote 0