Canon RF 28mm f/2.8 STM Pancake teardown

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon invited Gordan Laing of CameraLabs fame to film the teardown of the brand new Canon RF 28mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens. If you’re at all a lens nerd, it’s always fascinating to see what’s inside a camera lens, even one as “simple” as the new pancake. The teardown covers everything from design for a

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Another great video from Gordon. Canon was smart to invite him for a lens teardown. Certain camera people would be appalled if it appeared that Canon was sneaking plastic elements into their RF lenses.

I'm excited for the 28mm pancake. The EF 40mm was a favorite of mine, not because of the focal length, but because of its size. People relax in front of such a small lens, yet the image quality is perfect. I'm guessing the new RF 28mm will have equally great IQ.

This will be a popular lens and it might convert some into becoming plastic believers. Imagine the profit margins if Canon could put plastic elements in L series lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The RF is 2x the price of the EF predecessor.

Inflation and lower economies of scale sucks.
Canon never made a 28mm pancake. They made a 40mm for $200 and and EF-S 24mm for $150. It’s significantly more challenging to create a full frame 28mm f/2.8 than it is to create a 40mm f/2.8. Just look at what went into this design!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The RF is 2x the price of the EF predecessor.

Inflation and lower economies of scale sucks.
No. The EF 28mm f2.8 was introduced at just under $800 in 2012. About two years later, they lowered the prices on all three of their consumer EF wide angles (24, 28 and 35mm) with the 28mm lowered to $500. Although it is no longer in stock anywhere, that remains the MSRP for the EF 28mm. Granted the EF 28mm had IS, but still it was $500 more expensive than the RF 28 at introduction and $200 more when it was discontinued.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Canon needs to at least make a 'pocketable' crop sensor camera so that pancakes like these can make more sense. I'm still walking around with a Sony a5100 and 20mm pancake in my pocket. The best camera is the one you always have on you.
Might I suggests you consider the R100. This can readily fit in a pocket of a jacket.

Upvote 0
Another great video from Gordon. Canon was smart to invite him for a lens teardown. Certain camera people would be appalled if it appeared that Canon was sneaking plastic elements into their RF lenses.

I'm excited for the 28mm pancake. The EF 40mm was a favorite of mine, not because of the focal length, but because of its size. People relax in front of such a small lens, yet the image quality is perfect. I'm guessing the new RF 28mm will have equally great IQ.

This will be a popular lens and it might convert some into becoming plastic believers. Imagine the profit margins if Canon could put plastic elements in L series lenses.
Tbh I don't care about plastic in any lens elements. As long as it's optically stellar, lightweight and last until I pass my gear to my kids(like how my dad passed his EF to me). I'm jumping on to the plastic-fantastic bandwagon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No. The EF 28mm f2.8 was introduced at just under $800 in 2012. About two years later, they lowered the prices on all three of their consumer EF wide angles (24, 28 and 35mm) with the 28mm lowered to $500. Although it is no longer in stock anywhere, that remains the MSRP for the EF 28mm. Granted the EF 28mm had IS, but still it was $500 more expensive than the RF 28 at introduction and $200 more when it was discontinued.
Heavens no, that's the 28mm f2.8 IS USM.
The EF 28mm f2.8 was introduced in 1987, right at the dawn of the EOS system, at $375.

However, the point remains that that was more then than this new lens. 36 years ago. That old lens was optically competent, and had a very loud AF motor, and build quality was at best OK.

The RF lens is an absolute bargain.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
@jeffa4444

Okay, you convinced me to go Tiffin instead of B+W for the RF 28mm !
I'm far less convinced! Nothing against plastic lenses in camera lenses, but for filters exposed to dust, dirt etc...?
My reading glasses are made of optical resin or similar. I replace them after 2-3 years.The main issue isn't optical quality, but scratch resistance, and filters need some cleaning every now and then. Glass is simply less fragile.
So, it's B&W, Zeiss or Rodenstock for me!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon never made a 28mm pancake. They made a 40mm for $200 and and EF-S 24mm for $150. It’s significantly more challenging to create a full frame 28mm f/2.8 than it is to create a 40mm f/2.8. Just look at what went into this design!
40mm would be more challenging because flange distance is shorter on RF mount.

Upvote 0