Canon RF 10-20 f/4L IS STM added to product supply status list

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were hoping that Canon was past issues with initial supply of new lenses and cameras, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Canon has now added the RF 10-20mm f/4L IS STM to the list. A lot of lenses have dropped off the list over the last few months, but it’s not like

See full article...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Although I'm not in the market for this lens as of now, I'm getting really frustrated by this kind of news by Canon/ Sony/ Nikon and maybe other camera companies. With every lens we get the same news...

It should/ could be so simple: Design, produce, sell... if you don't have enough lenses to supply the preorders from day 1 and 2, please just wait with the announcement. To me, it really just shows that at least one department is not doing their job well enough...

- Either their market research is really, really bad...you should really know who many lenses you are going to sell. If your company is surprised EVERYTIME, something isn't right...
- or the production is just way to low and the companies are not able to secure enough resources. Other tech companies have mostly overcome their supply issues. For example: In 2021, the wait for a BMW was 18 months, now we are back to three for basically any model. I´ve ordered quite a lot new tech this past months and only the camera industry seems to have issues... go figure...
- or SoCaNi have realized that telling everyone ALL THE TIME that there are supply issues, has triggered a lot people to preorder and buy asap. In the end, that might have helped to raise their sales and they made a strategy/ policy out of it... that would be the worst option because that would mean they are basically telling a lie.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wonder if Canon is being conservative in trying to manage expectations. The RF 100-300/2.8 is still on the list, but it actually shipped on time and has shown up as 'in stock' at various retailers including Canon USA in the past couple of months. The RF 28/2.8 was put on the delay list just after it was announced, but it was actually in stock at retailers even before the planned launch date (I didn't preorder it because the expected delivery date was during a planned vacation, but Adorama had stock before the trip and I was able to order it, and it was delivered literally an hour before I left for the airport).

OTOH, the RF 135/1.8 is hard to find in the US, and it's not on the list.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Although I'm not in the market for this lens as of now, I'm getting really frustrated by this kind of news by Canon/ Sony/ Nikon and maybe other camera companies. With every lens we get the same news...

It should/ could be so simple: Design, produce, sell... if you don't have enough lenses to supply the preorders from day 1 and 2, please just wait with the announcement. To me, it really just shows that at least one department is not doing their job well enough...

- Either their market research is really, really bad...you should really know who many lenses you are going to sell. If your company is surprised EVERYTIME, something isn't right...
- or the production is just way to low and the companies are not able to secure enough resources. Other tech companies have mostly overcome their supply issues. For example: In 2021, the wait for a BMW was 18 months, now we are back to three for basically any model. I´ve ordered quite a lot new tech this past months and only the camera industry seems to have issues... go figure...
- or SoCaNi have realized that telling everyone ALL THE TIME that there are supply issues, has triggered a lot people to preorder and buy asap. In the end, that might have helped to raise their sales and they made a strategy/ policy out of it... that would be the worst option because that would mean they are basically telling a lie.
Just wait with the announcement??....haha! And get killed on every internet forum and by every YouTube influencer and reviewer? Where are the new Canon lenses? They promised 8 a year!! If that rumored lens doesn't come out soon, I'm switching brands!! How come things are so quiet at Canon?? And so on and so on... We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I wonder if Canon is being conservative in trying to manage expectations. The RF 100-300/2.8 is still on the list, but it actually shipped on time and has shown up as 'in stock' at various retailers including Canon USA in the past couple of months. The RF 28/2.8 was put on the delay list just after it was announced, but it was actually in stock at retailers even before the planned launch date (I didn't preorder it because the expected delivery date was during a planned vacation, but Adorama had stock before the trip and I was able to order it, and it was delivered literally an hour before I left for the airport).

OTOH, the RF 135/1.8 is hard to find in the US, and it's not on the list.
The RF135 is in stock at my trusted dealer here in Frankfurt am Main.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

In the past Canon would do a batch of a specific lens and then re-tool that line to make a batch of a different lens. My guess is that the 10-20 line ran at full tilt to build the initial stock and will run another while to catch up and will then get switched to build another lens.
If it is really successful, another line will get converted to build the 10-20.

My hope is that Canon is prioritizing the 200L macro so we can all buy it cheaply and timely next year ;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps Canon read that everyone switched to Sony to buy Sigma lenses and therefore didn't have to make very many!

I preordered the 135 (the only time I've done so) and waited 5 months. I notice it's finally generally available 10-11 months after announcement.

I'm not a wide angle guy but I did read/watch promos on the 10-20. Looks like it should be a hit.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why Canon has such a difficult time to bring new lenses to market. Most of their manufacturing even with lenses is automated. As of 2017 which is the last I think i've seen any data on it - all the nonaspherical elements are done via machine and are fully automated and 50% (2017) of the assembly is automated. Canon had hoped to get that to 80% but haven't seen a thing about that since 2017. Asphericals for L lenses are molded.

So it has to be sourcing materials for elements maybe? I'm not sure they've ever said where their source of UD and Super-UD glass comes from. Fluorite they grow themselves.

I know during covid there was an extreme shortage of DAC's and ADC's but i doubt that effected Canon much unless it was bound under IP and that shortage should have ended a long time ago.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm not sure why Canon has such a difficult time to bring new lenses to market. Most of their manufacturing even with lenses is automated. As of 2017 which is the last I think i've seen any data on it - all the nonaspherical elements are done via machine and are fully automated and 50% (2017) of the assembly is automated. Canon had hoped to get that to 80% but haven't seen a thing about that since 2017. Asphericals for L lenses are molded.

So it has to be sourcing materials for elements maybe? I'm not sure they've ever said where their source of UD and Super-UD glass comes from. Fluorite they grow themselves.

I know during covid there was an extreme shortage of DAC's and ADC's but i doubt that effected Canon much unless it was bound under IP and that shortage should have ended a long time ago.
It would be interesting to find out.
I wonder if it isn't related to the sanctions with Russia.
Could it be simply more demand than they expected related to the 1.6:1 lens to body ratio. Is it possible with more people using smart phones and less using dedicated cameras that this ratio is changing and a larger number of people buying MILCs now are buying more than one or two lenses?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why is the Canon RF 400mm F2.8 listed here ? That lens is in stock everywhere
Canon Japan has a 1 month delivery time whatever that means.

The RF 100-300 f/2.8 has a TBD delivery date

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Could it be simply more demand than they expected related to the 1.6:1 lens to body ratio. Is it possible with more people using smart phones and less using dedicated cameras that this ratio is changing and a larger number of people buying MILCs now are buying more than one or two lenses?
According to the CIPA numbers, it is still under 2 lenses per camera but it is creeping up.
That does not give an indication of which lenses are selling.

Upvote 0
According to the CIPA numbers, it is still under 2 lenses per camera but it is creeping up.
That does not give an indication of which lenses are selling.
Funny thing about that stat, while having owned 6 bodies and 20 lenses over the past 10 years might give the illusion that I have purchased a higher ratio of lenses to bodies than average, the reality is I have only purchased 2 of the bodies and 3 of the lenses new, and actually am below average.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Just wait with the announcement??....haha! And get killed on every internet forum and by every YouTube influencer and reviewer? Where are the new Canon lenses? They promised 8 a year!! If that rumored lens doesn't come out soon, I'm switching brands!! How come things are so quiet at Canon?? And so on and so on... We have no one to blame but ourselves.
Honestly, "getting killed" by YouTubers didn't even touch Canon even when they were late to the mirrorless technology... why worry now?
Since then, they won tons of photographers back and are still the No 1 in the world, even if some YouTubers don't like it/ admit it. With the 10-20mm and the 28mm nobody was even remotely close to demand such a lens. Since Canon basically shut down the rumor mill, people don't know what to expect and what to cry about... the only thing people on the internet are currently begging for is the unicorn 35mm L F1.2 (or F1.4).

Upvote 0