Canon RF-S 22mm f/2 STM is coming alongside the EOS R50 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have partial confirmation that Canon plans to bring one of the most popular and highly-regarded EF-M lenses to the RF mount. We are told that Canon will be announcing an RF-S 22mm f/2 STM alongside the rumored Canon EOS R50. We expect these announcements to come in the first quarter of 2023. The optical

See full article...

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
This is promising. What I would love to see is that Sigma 16mm f/1.4 ported over to RF mount. If only Canon weren’t blockading third parties.
Wont be surprised to find Sigma joining Tamron in making Z mount lenses(looking at recent rumours) instead of wasting their time and money on RF mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I previous said that the RF16 f/2.8 is already tiny, but I never had it side-by-side with the EF-M 22mm before:
View attachment 206440
I wonder how much it will grow in its new RS-S embodiment.
Obviously you're comparing a FF lens with an APS-C lens. The EF-M lens does not need to grow much, except right at the mount side.

1668698186329.png

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Wont be surprised to find Sigma joining Tamron in making Z mount lenses(looking at recent rumours) instead of wasting their time and money on RF mount.
Yes, it's only the second most popular FF MILC mount today, and quite likely will become the most popular MILC mount as APS-C EOS R bodies gain prominence. Why should any 3rd party lens maker want to make lenses for a very popular mount? That's why none of them ever made lenses for the EF mount, either. Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2022
Yes, it's only the second most popular FF MILC mount today, and quite likely will become the most popular MILC mount as APS-C EOS R bodies gain prominence. Why should any 3rd party lens maker want to make lenses for a very popular mount? That's why none of them ever made lenses for the EF mount, either. Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

Because Canon won't let them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Obviously you're comparing a FF lens with an APS-C lens. The EF-M lens does not need to grow much, except right at the mount side.

View attachment 206444
With the taper on the existing RF-S lenses, it looks like it will be just the taper, then the control/focus ring and that's it for the 22mm. I wonder if the taper is going to be a similar style thing for RF-S as the outer diameter is for EF-M.

Upvote 0
I wonder if it will look like the image that circulated in may this year. I would prefer metal mount as on the EF-M but plastic would reduce the weight I guess.
My favorite lens for the m-system, sharp and nice already at f/2. I will most likely get the RF-S version, if it uses the same optical formula and a small camera is released like rumored.

Canon-RF-S-22mm-f2-STM-APS-C-lens.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0