Canon S110 vs S120

Hello,
Just seeing what everybody's opinion is between these two cameras. S110's have come down in price quite a bit and wondering if the S120's features are that much better to justify the cost. Is the Digic 6 sensor that much better than Digic 5?

Forgot to mention that I currently have the S95.

Any help in making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you can afford the S120, go for it. S120 got faster lens (F1.8 vs F2.0) and the better DR (11.9 vs 11.2). ISO and FPS difference are just marginal. If shooting JPEG, Digic 6 might have a little bit of advantage (fps and processing power) but isn't that much. It all depends on your budget. The difference is around $100 I believe. S95 really isn't that far from those two in terms of IQ. A little bit of PP and you will hardly notice any difference. I'd rather save the money for a larger sensor camera like an SLR or an EOS-M. There are discounts on EOS-M with 2 lenses and a flash. It might be a better acquisition. Couple it with the S95 and you have a very light main and backup camera. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
I posted a thread asking, what's your favorite compact camera? What about the aps-c sensored Samsung NX1000 for $355? Or how about for $260 via Ebay refurb? This might be the same sensor that's in the Sony RX100...and I have a feeling that one is better than what's in the S120. Of course the camera is not as compact, and the removable lens is huge by comparison. Not very pocketable!

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
verysimplejason said:
If you can afford the S120, go for it. S120 got faster lens (F1.8 vs F2.0) and the better DR (11.9 vs 11.2). ISO and FPS difference are just marginal. If shooting JPEG, Digic 6 might have a little bit of advantage (fps and processing power) but isn't that much. It all depends on your budget. The difference is around $100 I believe. S95 really isn't that far from those two in terms of IQ. A little bit of PP and you will hardly notice any difference. I'd rather save the money for a larger sensor camera like an SLR or an EOS-M. There are discounts on EOS-M with 2 lenses and a flash. It might be a better acquisition. Couple it with the S95 and you have a very light main and backup camera. :)

+ 100 for me too
" I'd rather save the money for a larger sensor camera like an SLR or an EOS-M. There are discounts on EOS-M with 2 lenses and a flash. It might be a better acquisition."------I just get Cheap and Great EOS-M, and one of my BEST/ SMART decision for long time.
Surapon

Upvote 0
TC1006 said:
Forgot to mention that I currently have the S95.

I used to own S95 and my friend has S110. What I can said the IQ from S95 and S110 is not too different. I don't think that would be a good idea upgrade from S95 to S120.

CarlTN said:
I posted a thread asking, what's your favorite compact camera? What about the aps-c sensored Samsung NX1000 for $355? Or how about for $260 via Ebay refurb? This might be the same sensor that's in the Sony RX100...and I have a feeling that one is better than what's in the S120. Of course the camera is not as compact, and the removable lens is huge by comparison. Not very pocketable!

RX100 may be the best P&S cammera. However, the price is much higher than S110/S120.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I just upgraded from my trusty old S90 to an S100 refurb from B&H for $180. There were a number of good improvents going from the 90 to the 100. Not worth the price of a new camera, but at less than half I'm pretty satisfied with the upgrade.

I think you really have to look at the list of features and see which ones are important to you. I spent quite a bit of time looking at image quality samples posted online and I was not impressed with the improvements over the years. I think it just comes down to features and perhaps processing speed.

Upvote 0