Canon S120 making funny sounds when moving it around (in automatic mode)

Hi everyone,

I have a little question for those owning the Canon S120.

I just bought it and I noticed that my camera is making funny sounds when I move it around. Those sounds seem to occur more often when I'm in the automatic mode. If I don't move the camera, it doesn't make any sound, but as soon as I move it, it does a little "toc-toc" sound (hard to describe, it's like the camera is adjusting something automatically when it moves). It seems to come from inside the camera and not from outside. I have owned my Canon cameras before and this is the first time I notice that.

Has anyone else noticed that?
If so, is it "normal" or have I received a defective unit?

Thanks for your help!

Mar 25, 2011
As you move the camera, depending on which lens is installed, it will refocus which can make noise, and the image stabilization will try to keep the image stable. Both of these happen only after you have done a focus or are holding the shutter halfway down. They come from in the lens.

You can trace it down by turning IS off on the lens, then turn off autofocus.

The IS unit itself can move and rattle if the lens is shaken, even if off.

See if you can track it down by doing the two things one at a time, that will at least help you determine the source.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
As you move the camera, depending on which lens is installed, it will refocus which can make noise, and the image stabilization will try to keep the image stable. Both of these happen only after you have done a focus or are holding the shutter halfway down. They come from in the lens.

You can trace it down by turning IS off on the lens, then turn off autofocus.

The IS unit itself can move and rattle if the lens is shaken, even if off.

See if you can track it down by doing the two things one at a time, that will at least help you determine the source.

I have the Canon S120... I don't think I can change lens on it... either way, it's the camera right out of the box.
I don't need to hold the shutter halfway down to reproduce that sound (in auto mode), just moving the camera around will do.

I'm sorry but I'm a new to this, how can I turn off IS and AF?

Do you think this is normal?
Should all S120 model do this?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0