Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT II Coming Soon [CR2]

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
IglooEater said:
Right now I'm looking hard at the godox witstro ad360II-c; if canon were to come out with a bare bulb like that I'd bite for sure. I doubt this however.

I have a pair of the original non ETTL Godox Witstro AD360's. Awesome pair of lights. An added bonus with the PB-960 battery that ships with the AD-360 will power your Canon 600 EX-RT Speedlights if you tick the box for a $15.00 Canon cable.

With the Godox 180 or 360, halve your recycle time with the DB-02 Y-Cable. Don't even think about it, just get this cable. http://flashhavoc.com/godox-pb960-lithium-power-pack-review/ Scroll down a little from the top...

The likelihood of Canon shipping anything remotely like this would be a big fat zero.

-pw

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
JJF said:
I hope they fix the "low battery error" from the current 600s.
Its really annoying having to power cycle the 600s multiple times to get them working again.

Got that too on one one of my three 600EX-RTs. Itr just shows "empy battery" icon on LCD. Will not power on or do anything. It often takes multiple power-on/off cycles and/or taking batteries out and in again, until the speedlite finally recognizes that fully charged batteries are in it. Extremely annoying, since it always happens at the worst possible moment.

Unfortunately it only occurred after return period had expired and it is "random/intermittent" - I cannot reliably reproduce the error condition, so it makes no sense to send it in for repair either. Canon would turn it on/off, it would likely work and come back as "checked, no fault found".

I suspect it's some firmware bug - maybe dependign on settings/status when the unit was switched off last time ... if it were a hardware problem, I'd expect it to happen all the time.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Refurb7 said:
Have you used Sandisk memory cards? They are made in China.

A lot of stuff is made in China today - including high-end stuff (think about Apple, for example) - and Canon does make stuff in China too (and probably buys too - guess even inside the 1DXII there's a lot of stuff from China).

The only difference is the quality threshold they require (and of course, the associated price).

Cheaper clones are obviously built with lower quality requirements and standards, and there could be larger variances among batches - quality requirements must be applied along the whole supply chain. Some Chinese brands are moving upmarket (think Phottix).

Buying Canon means Canon quality assurance, warranty, and support. Buying cheaper items means you have to accept the risks associated. Having a choice is good, someone may not have the resources to access a whole Canon setup because they may be just starting a business or it's just an hobbyist without deep pockets.

One just needs to be aware of what he's buying and avoid the wrong expectations.

Just let see if one of the reasons of a new model is too make clones life harder...

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
LDS said:
Refurb7 said:
Have you used Sandisk memory cards? They are made in China.

A lot of stuff is made in China today - including high-end stuff (think about Apple, for example) - and Canon does make stuff in China too (and probably buys too - guess even inside the 1DXII there's a lot of stuff from China).

The only difference is the quality threshold they require (and of course, the associated price).

Cheaper clones are obviously built with lower quality requirements and standards, and there could be larger variances among batches - quality requirements must be applied along the whole supply chain. Some Chinese brands are moving upmarket (think Phottix).

Buying Canon means Canon quality assurance, warranty, and support. Buying cheaper items means you have to accept the risks associated. Having a choice is good, someone may not have the resources to access a whole Canon setup because they may be just starting a business or it's just an hobbyist without deep pockets.

One just needs to be aware of what he's buying and avoid the wrong expectations.

Just let see if one of the reasons of a new model is too make clones life harder...

I dont use scan disk but , i mean actual stuff that canon makes for there cameras like camera bodies, flashes, batteries, and lenses, I know most things make in china but those cheap stuff is just a waste, the way i see it is simple, if canon is to much to spend for quality then you maybe you shouldn't be buying canon in the first place, I know cars is far of from cameras but if i can afford to buy a sports car and then complain about the tires, gas, and checkups being to expensive then maybe i shouldn't be buying a sports car in the first place.

But by all means do as you wish mix and match as you please. I prefer spend my money on quality simply cause it lasts longer and has a better life span. I use to buy cheapo's from china before then I notice over the years in the long run you still end up spending more than you would buying quality in the first place.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been posted but I ran across these projected rumors of the new flash.

Speedlite 600EX II-RT of the spec
– Cover the angle of view of 20Mm-200Mm
– Guide numbers of 197Ft / 60M (ISO100)
– Continuous emission is 1.5 times faster from 1.1 (CP-E4N 2 times faster at the time of use)
– Up to 5 can control the flash of the group
– 15 types of custom fine action
– Six types of personal function
– Also can be rotated 180 degrees in either direction

Upvote 0
It looks like this new mkII version is released not for the customer benefit or spec change, but for a Canon supply / outsource benefit. I think that Canon's flashes are made by Mitsubushi and I suspect that they have a contractual supply agreement. When they have sold out or nearly sold out, Canon has to renew it's contract / order for more units. If there's no big design change then a few cosmetic tweeks and maybe firmware updates are applied and a mkII is pushed out. Which would explain why this mkII isn't really an update, more of a re-announcement of the existing product.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Ripley said:
Head rotation like the Sony HVL-F60M would be nice.
Sony doesn't allow to flip the head 180 deg to shoot against a wall. So it's somewhat good, but also not perfect. A combination of both would be really nice :)

What do you mean by 180 degrees? Like it can't flip back and shoot in your face? ???

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ripley said:
Jopa said:
Ripley said:
Head rotation like the Sony HVL-F60M would be nice.
Sony doesn't allow to flip the head 180 deg to shoot against a wall. So it's somewhat good, but also not perfect. A combination of both would be really nice :)

What do you mean by 180 degrees? Like it can't flip back and shoot in your face? ???

Rotate 180° and elevate a bit (or 'flip' >90°, say at least 150°), to bounce off the wall behind you, or off the ceiling if you're pointing the camera downwards.

Upvote 0
Availablele in June here in the UK at the 'bargain' price of £539 - thats @$785 ::)

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/1350125E/flashguns-canon-fit/canon/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-flashgun

Also 1DX MKII pre-order - £5199 - @$7558 but its OK because you get a free CFast Card & reader! ;)

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/1010029H/digital-slr-cameras/canon/eos-1dx-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera

Guess most of you US based boys/girls won't be placing your order from the UK? ;D

-=Glyn=-

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
webdevguy said:
I just received two of these today. One is fine. The other shows LOW BATTERY indicator, even though I've tried 2 new sets of batteries. Any suggestions? :'(

exactly the same issue here with 600EX (1st gen). got 3 of those, 2 are fine, one is bad ... refuses to work and just shows "low battery indicator" most of the time. i can get over it by opening/closing and re-inserting batteries multiple times. it is definitely an issue with that flash unit/electronics or contact-problem ... not battery-related. no idea what it really is and out of warranty by now. :-(

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
webdevguy said:
Never mind. Weird. I think the problem were the 2 new sets of batteries. I tried another set and it's fine. I think it was the batteries. Whew!

If it requires a set of batteries that are super fresh, don't discount that there is a problem, and then miss your return window. I have a battery tester that tests at various loads to see how good my batteries actually are. Even the lower voltage Eneloop batteries drive a flash very well, so your batteries would need to be pretty weak to get that error.

Upvote 0