Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT II Coming Soon [CR2]

IglooEater said:
Right now I'm looking hard at the godox witstro ad360II-c; if canon were to come out with a bare bulb like that I'd bite for sure. I doubt this however.

The Godox AD360 II is insanely good! Only the build quality is lackluster but the ETTL, recycle times and the quality of light is absolutely up there with the Canon 600EX and even better.
You can integrate this into your Canon RT rig as well by attaching the Phottix Laso Receivers on them. They really play nice together with the ST-E3 and the 600EX. Highly recommended!

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Memdroid said:
IglooEater said:
Right now I'm looking hard at the godox witstro ad360II-c; if canon were to come out with a bare bulb like that I'd bite for sure. I doubt this however.

The Godox AD360 II is insanely good! Only the build quality is lackluster but the ETTL, recycle times and the quality of light is absolutely up there with the Canon 600EX and even better.
You can integrate this into your Canon RT rig as well by attaching the Phottix Laso Receivers on them. They really play nice together with the ST-E3 and the 600EX. Highly recommended!

In my experience, the YN-E3-RT (and YN600RT) will not talk to the Phottix Laso*, just the ST-E3-RT and EX600RT.

*The Yongnou RT system can be linked to the Phottix, but it's a bit of a pain. You have to use a Canon Transmitter (either ST-E3-RT or EX600RT) as a master to link up to the Phottix (with the YN transmitter turned off). Then, once the Canon and Phottix are linked, you turn on the Yongnuo transmitter (as master) and it will see the Phottix. At which point you can turn off the Canon master.

But, even with that, I love the setup. It has changed everything for me. The AD360II is outstanding. I actually find the build quality surprisingly good. I find the AD360II to be better built than my YN600RT's, which are not bad either, but neither is as well built as the canon.

Upvote 0
Memdroid said:
IglooEater said:

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who uses it!

Upvote 0
The Canon flash system is good, but also one of the priciest solutions in this category.
The Yongnuo set up is less than half the price.
And most of us can do every bit as well with inexpensive manual flashes and a cheap radio trigger. That's what I use, eventhough I would love to have 5 Canon 600's and a controller. It's just too much money

Upvote 0
Typical...finally got round to purchasing 3 600EX-RT (2 still unused in their boxes) along with a ST-E3 RT all in the last 12 months and a Mark II version is a week away?

Don't think I'll go for the MKII's but could be tempted by an updated ST-E3 RT if it has focus assist.

Unless of course there is some amazing feature I can't possibly live without...

-=Glyn=-

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
kozakm00 said:
What about some huge price drop? I didn' expect to say this, but latest chinese flashes are so advanced and reliable I don't see any reason why buy Canon flash anymore.
I wouldnt be caught dead with anything made in China with my photography gear, I don't care how cheap and good they work, and if you give it to me for free ill throw it in the garbage.

Upvote 0

BLFPhoto

Canon EOS user since '91...
kphoto99 said:
BLFPhoto said:
The number one thing...the only thing, really...that I would want to see updated in the speedlight itself is the heat handling. I'm tired of shooting events and running into the heat slowdown mode.
There is a very simple solution to the heat slowdown problem, when it happens swap to a second flash.

Yes, there is that technique and I use it when I can. But I often use 8 of them at a time, 4 each on a four square bracket, outside, in a cross-light situation during running or cycling events. I don't have time or gear to swap out both sets when the action is hot and heavy. I have 10 total speedlights. Yes, my situation is extreme use...but I live on that edge in my sports photography.

For weddings and portraits I rarely hit the over temp issue. And when I do...I absolutely do swap positions and lights.

Upvote 0
BLFPhoto said:
kphoto99 said:
BLFPhoto said:
The number one thing...the only thing, really...that I would want to see updated in the speedlight itself is the heat handling. I'm tired of shooting events and running into the heat slowdown mode.
There is a very simple solution to the heat slowdown problem, when it happens swap to a second flash.

Yes, there is that technique and I use it when I can. But I often use 8 of them at a time, 4 each on a four square bracket, outside, in a cross-light situation during running or cycling events. I don't have time or gear to swap out both sets when the action is hot and heavy. I have 10 total speedlights. Yes, my situation is extreme use...but I live on that edge in my sports photography.

For weddings and portraits I rarely hit the over temp issue. And when I do...I absolutely do swap positions and lights.

You just proved how useless advice can be without knowing all the facts ;-)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2016
AshtonNekolah said:
kozakm00 said:
What about some huge price drop? I didn' expect to say this, but latest chinese flashes are so advanced and reliable I don't see any reason why buy Canon flash anymore.
I wouldnt be caught dead with anything made in China with my photography gear, I don't care how cheap and good they work, and if you give it to me for free ill throw it in the garbage.
Have you used Sandisk memory cards? They are made in China.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
JJF said:
I hope they fix the "low battery error" from the current 600s.
Its really annoying having to power cycle the 600s multiple times to get them working again.

?

I have four, haven't ever seen that.

I think he is referring to the YN600's

I have seen that about 4 or 5 times on mine. I just open the battery door and close it, then the error goes away. I've also only ever had that when I've left my flashes on for more than 4 hours, without any usage.

I've never seen that error on my EX600RT, but I've never left it on and unused for that long.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
BLFPhoto said:
kphoto99 said:
BLFPhoto said:

For your situation, where you are using a four-pack of speedlights, have you considered the AD360, or AD360II (if you use eTTL, or need more high power flashes in a row)?

I used to use three speedlights jammed in an umbrella in an attempt to battle the sun, but I find the AD360II works a lot better.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
SereneSpeed said:
BLFPhoto said:
kphoto99 said:
BLFPhoto said:

For your situation, where you are using a four-pack of speedlights, have you considered the AD360, or AD360II (if you use eTTL, or need more high power flashes in a row)?

I used to use three speedlights jammed in an umbrella in an attempt to battle the sun, but I find the AD360II works a lot better.

Yup, and now a 600WS version is being released.

Upvote 0
sulla said:
It would be nice to add support for more than just 2 colour gels. This might make it necessary to upgrade the gel-sensors. Or increase head movement, eg. more downward tilt might come in handy alongside a macro lens.

Such small updates might warrant such a short product cycle.

2nd curtain sync probably could be added in firmware, IF precision over radio is good enough.

I think it's likely Canon will also remove all the IR remote abilities, making it a radio only speedlite. I wouldn't mind, especially if that will make the speedlite smaller and lighter.

Upvote 0
JJF said:
I hope they fix the "low battery error" from the current 600s.
Its really annoying having to power cycle the 600s multiple times to get them working again.
I had this once on 1 of my 2 Canon 600RT speedlites. One was working, the other one couldn't be switched on and the empty battery sign on the display flashed. Replaced batteries with new ones, still couldn't be powered on. Then I swapped batteries with the working speedlite, still the dead speedlite remained dead and the working one continued to work properly. Then, already a bit desperate, I switched the dead speedlite on an off several times, and suddenly it worked again. And then it fired the whole session through right to the end.

It never has happened since.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
GlynH said:
Typical...finally got round to purchasing 3 600EX-RT (2 still unused in their boxes) along with a ST-E3 RT all in the last 12 months and a Mark II version is a week away?

Don't think I'll go for the MKII's but could be tempted by an updated ST-E3 RT if it has focus assist.

Unless of course there is some amazing feature I can't possibly live without...

-=Glyn=-

We all gripe and moan about the absence or inadequacy of this feature or that in our gear, and complain that the manufacturer is clueless, slow, not competitive, etc. And then, when they announce a replacement, we pitch a fit about short product life cycles.

Just the nature of the human condition, I suppose.

(p.s. I've never encountered any false low battery errors in any of my four 600EX-RT's, either, in the nearly four years I've owned them.)

Upvote 0