Canon T3i/600D Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galwithawand

Re: buying question

dilbert said:
Sturdier? That's a likely story. They'll all come out of the same factory - just different packaging and firmware. Oh, and warranty. Do you want to post the camera to some overseas location if it develops a problem and needs a warranty repair?
Oh well. i only heard that Japanese love to keep the best for themselves and I don't think same factory. The Japan version of this camera is called the Kiss X5 not 600D or T3i. Actually the warranty repair doesnt bother me since I fly for free to Japan or USA any time I like. Btw, I'm neither in the states or Japan

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Yep, big deal. It basically does the same trick as the GH2. This will take a bite out of the GH2 sales for sure. Nice one Canon!

erikandersen said:
Canon Rumors said:
You can also reach distant subjects using new Movie Digital Zoom function, which crops the centre of the sensor from 3x to 10x while still maintaining Full HD quality.

This is the big deal for video shooters. It's a big deal.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
NormanBates said:
unruled said:
dilbert said:
Have a look at the sample pictures on dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/892888/img_0570?inalbum=canon-eos-600d-preview-samples
They've included shots at ISO 3200, 5000 and 6400.

Find the noise.

wtf?
thats crazy. I would like to see fullsize shots and raw..

there's something fishy on those samples: does the camera even have ISO 5000? dpreview themselves say it doesn't...

you can go to ISO 5000 by going +2/3 EV up from ISO 3200. as dpreview lists ISO 3200 and 6400 as standard sensitivity settings on the camera, there's no reason 5000 would not be reachable by using normal 1/3-stop increments.

I don't think the lack of noise is that magical. looking at the ISO 3200 image of the mannequins and hats, it's clear there's some blotching in the shadows, loss of detail in the fabrics, and general noise. the noise is well-controlled, mostly being luminance and not chroma, but I don't know that there's anything in the images that suggests there's been major sensor modifications.

course, I'd have no problem with being proven wrong ...

Upvote 0
There's more in this upgrade than I thought they'd put in.
Swivel was expected but not the digital zoom for video, which is cool.
I still prefer the controls and handling on 60D and above

There's also wireless trigger available from the newly introduced flashes. That's handy.

BTW... Apparently Canon's native ISO's are 160, 320, 640, 1250, 2500, 5000

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Son of Daguerre said:
Canon's samples look pretty darn noise-free, that's for certain!

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos600d/ #4&#5

again, decent, but I don't know that it's any different than what the 7D/550D/60D sensor does already. the koala photo still has significant amounts of luminance noise as well as blocking-up from noise reduction. not saying it's bad, but just par for the course

Upvote 0
S

Son of Daguerre

kubelik said:
again, decent, but I don't know that it's any different than what the 7D/550D/60D sensor does already. the koala photo still has significant amounts of luminance noise as well as blocking-up from noise reduction. not saying it's bad, but just par for the course

I seem to recall the other three faring worse. Anyway, even with the noise, the koala is pretty detailed.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
There's no binning now. Pixels are skipped when using full sensor video.
How do you know? And how does that fit with your second statement:

Etienne said:
Digital zoom should yield an improved video quality at full zoom because they will use all contiguous pixels in the center of the sensor. This should give reduced moire.

Upvote 0
O

Osiris30

NormanBates said:
unruled said:
dilbert said:
Have a look at the sample pictures on dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/892888/img_0570?inalbum=canon-eos-600d-preview-samples
They've included shots at ISO 3200, 5000 and 6400.

Find the noise.

wtf?
thats crazy. I would like to see fullsize shots and raw..

there's something fishy on those samples: does the camera even have ISO 5000? dpreview themselves say it doesn't...

Actually it's *really* simple. In Auto-ISO mode any Rebel since at least the 450D will select 1/3stops. So it may not be directly menu selectable (as it is on the 60D and up), but in Auto-ISO it's there and used by the camera.

Upvote 0
S

stormtroopar

From everything I have read, the 7D, 60D, 550D, 600D all uses the same processor. The last review I read between the 550D and 60D shows a tiny bit advantage of the 60D in High ISO noise. My guess is it is a software tweak they did to push and make sure 60D looks a little bit better than their cheaper brother. But now seeing these preliminary results of the 600D, seems they push the ISO performance even a little bit more.

Unless its an actual change on the chip, I think they can do a software update for the other models to get this upgrade. But whether they would do it or not is another story.... ???

Upvote 0
D

DuLt

stormtroopar said:
From everything I have read, the 7D, 60D, 550D, 600D all uses the same processor. The last review I read between the 550D and 60D shows a tiny bit advantage of the 60D in High ISO noise. My guess is it is a software tweak they did to push and make sure 60D looks a little bit better than their cheaper brother. But now seeing these preliminary results of the 600D, seems they push the ISO performance even a little bit more.

Unless its an actual change on the chip, I think they can do a software update for the other models to get this upgrade. But whether they would do it or not is another story.... ???

I can see the marketing plot behind this "Here's a good camera (60D). Now, here's a new inferior camera with somethings better than the better model (600D)".
They keep releasing different models so not to impede current production with incremental minimal changes that seem capable of ocurring in previous models but won't... so you'll have a bigger reason to get the 7dII...

Maybe when the 5dIII comes with (hopefully) digic V most of our video problems will be kinked out to the max...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.