Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Even though the R3 promises a lot but remains vaporware, Canon has told us that it can make a camera that bests the R3! I wonder what that would be?

Of course, Canon might make cameras for specific market segments. But, what little we know about the R3 indicates that it will occupy the market the 1-series cameras took as its home. I suspect the next 1-series offering will be a Wunderkamera.

Upvote 0

"Will Canon share the RF mount with other manufacturers?​

It doesn’t look that way. Canon is likely to keep the mount a closed system, so the third parties will have to reverse engineer everything to make RF mount lenses to utilize the new technologies available in the RF mount."

Well if that's the case, I won't be investing in Canon's over-priced RF cameras or zoom lenses.
After testing both the C70 and FX3, I was far more impressed with what Sony has to offer anyway.
If the FX3 was far more impressive why would you care if the RF was opened source?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I'm curious – what great 3rd party lenses are there for which there are no Canon equivalents? The optically stellar manual focus Zeiss lenses come to mind (although there are Canon L-series equivalents, just slightly less optically impressive and much cheaper). There are a handful of 3rd party options for lenses like the TS-E lenses (Schneider) and MP-E 65 (Venus, Mitakon), but again, Canon has versions.

The converse seems more true, for me at least – there's no 3rd party 600/4 for Canon, no 3rd party 11-24 or fisheye zoom, no TS-E Macro lenses.
Hm, okay, maybe not many lenses, but certainly quite some some.

Until recently Canon got no 50mm that was as good as the Sigma 50mm Art. The 1,2L was noteable less sharp and slower.
I think there was no wide angle with IS and f 2,8 like the Tamron 15-30 f2,8 VC which I used a lot for a lot of beautiful, handheld shots in low light.
Laowa got lots of unique lenses. The 24mm macro Probe is certainly VERY unique. Also they got the insane 15mm Macro (unique look) and some nice 2X Macros (Canons Macro was only 1X I think?). The Zero Distortion 12mm also got a lot of good feedback, a light and sharp Super Wide lense.
Tamron got the first 35mm IS lense I think. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600 was also very popular, I am not sure if Canon got a comparable lense?
Cinema lenses is another world, I guess there are plenty lenses to be found. Also vintage lenses which are adaptable are very unique.
These are not all "irreplaceable", there are at least similar options from canon. But its a nice addition. Laowa certainly is unique.

And whats also very important for the market are the affordable lenses. You are correct, Canon offers everything a photographer actualy needs (especialy high end lenses like the 600 f4 you mentioned) - but the competition certainly produced some very good and affordable lenses. The Sigma Art Series for example even beat some high end L lenses in image Quality (50mm, 24-104 at the time, 105mm and 135mm come to mind which are all extremely sharp) AND untercut the price by 50% or more at the same time. Same goes for Tamron G2 Series, Thats a very welcoming set of options.

I think a bigger market and more options/competition is always good for the customer =)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Hm, okay, maybe not many lenses, but certainly quite some some.

I think there was no wide angle with IS and f 2,8 like the Tamron 15-30 f2,8 VC which I used a lot for a lot of beautiful, handheld shots in low light.

And whats also very important for the market are the affordable lenses. You are correct, Canon offers everything a photographer actualy needs (especialy high end lenses like the 600 f4 you mentioned) - but the competition certainly produced some very good and affordable lenses. The Sigma Art Series for example even beat some high end L lenses in image Quality (50mm, 24-104 at the time, 105mm and 135mm come to mind which are all extremely sharp) AND untercut the price by 50% or more at the same time. Same goes for Tamron G2 Series, Thats a very welcoming set of options.

I think a bigger market and more options/competition is always good for the customer =)

Agree that more third party options would be great.

However, the Tamron 15-30 2.8 (which I own) is great FOR ITS PRICE. But it doesn't match up against the 15-35 2.8 RF lens (I rented it to see what it was like). This 15-35 produces much nicer pics and it has that image stabilization in it too.

And some of your other lenses have RF equivalents. Again, it would be nice to have cheaper options available than just Canon's RF lenses. But a lot of times, you get what you pay for in terms of lens quality.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
That will probably depend on who makes the sensor.

Will it be:
a) designed and manufactured entirely by Canon?
b) developed by Canon but manufactured by Sony?
c) upper substrate designed and manufactured by Canon, lower substrate by Sony?

Canon never used a Sony sensor in a Canon interchangeable camera. Why they would start now? They are pretty competent making their own sensors. The R5 sensor is up there with the best.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
As long as the R3 is not another low res 20MP'ish sensor, I don't care how they label it. Keep it at around 50MP max, give it more advanced video features than the R5, bigger body should eliminate heat issues, QPAF, 1/250s sensor scan speed, dual CFE, 2x the AF processing speed of the R5, even more sealing and with the eye controlled AF, it's basically as good as it gets. Even if the R1 had global shutter, I don't find that much of an upgrade over stacked sensor, so hard to see what they would do to move it much higher up the food chain than the R3. Maybe it'll get 40fps.
I'm hoping the R3 comes in at around $5K, where the APS-H 1 series used to sit.
Big mistake not to liocense the RF mount to third party, why not get paid to use the mount and allow the thrid parties to flesh out the eco-system. Sony is killing for third party support. The fact we'll probably never see Voigtlander APO lenses on RF is majorly disappointing not to mention much more affordable Sigma Art and Sport lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Certainly true for consumers but what is the benefit to Canon to open their RF mount specs?
I would love to see some small/light primes/pancakes. A couple of great wide aperture astrolandscape lenses would also be fantastic as they don't exist in Canon's EF catalogue

Sony opened up their mount because there were limited lenses available at the beginning except adapted Canon lenses. If Sony had closed it then their system would have died IMHO. Canon (inadvertently) enabled Sony's success as a competitor in FF :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm curious – what great 3rd party lenses are there for which there are no Canon equivalents? ...
Here are a few that come to mind:

Sigma contemporary 150-600 zoom
Sigma sports 150-600 zoom
Tamron 150-600 zoom
Sigma sport 120-300 f2.8 zoom
Tokina 11-20 f2.8 zoom (APS-C)
Sigma art 105 f1.4

There are others, but these are just the ones I could come up off the top of my head. Great, of course, is a purely subjective term that depends on a combination of quality, versatility, price and other factors.

But, more to the point, I don't really get the discussion of Canon sharing their mount with others. Third party manufacturers has never had any problem reverse engineering the EF mount and I'm sure they are more than capable of doing the same with the RF mount.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014

"What’s the future of the EOS M system?

Canon couldn’t comment on the future of the system, but in this interview, the EOS M system was called “well equipped”. I’m not sure many would agree with that, but what do I know?"

About what I expected from Canon. In my vision, the M will go on for a few more years with pretty boring minor body updates, maybe an extra prime or new version of a slow kit lens. Then will slowly fade away with fewer and fewer updates but probably will never be officially discontinued.
Why I switched to Fujifilm.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
As long as the R3 is not another low res 20MP'ish sensor, I don't care how they label it. Keep it at around 50MP max, give it more advanced video features than the R5, bigger body should eliminate heat issues, QPAF, 1/250s sensor scan speed, dual CFE, 2x the AF processing speed of the R5, even more sealing and with the eye controlled AF, it's basically as good as it gets. Even if the R1 had global shutter, I don't find that much of an upgrade over stacked sensor, so hard to see what they would do to move it much higher up the food chain than the R3. Maybe it'll get 40fps.
I'm hoping the R3 comes in at around $5K, where the APS-H 1 series used to sit.
Big mistake not to liocense the RF mount to third party, why not get paid to use the mount and allow the thrid parties to flesh out the eco-system. Sony is killing for third party support. The fact we'll probably never see Voigtlander APO lenses on RF is majorly disappointing not to mention much more affordable Sigma Art and Sport lenses.
I suspect that the R1 will be a studio monster with at least 100mp and global shutter to sync flash at any speed.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I think this is a non-issue. There is a semi-conductor shortage at the moment. There are a lot of new manufacturing strategies being implemented. Developed means it was designed and engineered by Canon’s extraordinary team. Who cares who they pick to make it. No one cries when they find out Samsung and LG are making displays for Apple.
I agree, however, was rather thinking what incentives would it be for Sony?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Pretty sure the price will be Flagship, as we know from Canon.
But; the good news is, with the R5 and R6 Canon has built a camera that delivers actually SHARP pictures. And thats a first.
All modern cameras deliver sharp pictures even smartphones , if your pictures aren't sharp you're doing something wrong

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm curious – what great 3rd party lenses are there for which there are no Canon equivalents? The optically stellar manual focus Zeiss lenses come to mind (although there are Canon L-series equivalents, just slightly less optically impressive and much cheaper). There are a handful of 3rd party options for lenses like the TS-E lenses (Schneider) and MP-E 65 (Venus, Mitakon), but again, Canon has versions.

The converse seems more true, for me at least – there's no 3rd party 600/4 for Canon, no 3rd party 11-24 or fisheye zoom, no TS-E Macro lenses.
I found Sigma great at filling in the fast wide lenses in ef myself, the 14mm 1.8 and 20mm 1.4 in particular, with the 18-35mm 1.8 being unique also.

Otherwise Sigma/Tamron etc do allow for some cheaper/lighter options over the first party offerings, which doesn't hurt overall appeal of a system

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
If this is not the flagship camera, I hope it will also have a bon-flagship price. Something around 5000 Euros and not 7200 Euros like the 1D X. I hope the EU will force Canon to open up the mount for others. Otherwise it is anti-competitive beheviour. Maybe we should al send some emails to the right recipients in Brussels.

Sigma EF lenses have a big advantage though. For around 100 Euros you can change them to a different mount. I am not sure of that will be possible with RF lenses.

Upvote 0