Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

Jul 21, 2010
If the R3 is slotted between the r5 and and 1DX, then the resolution is also likely to be between the two. Actually, I'm optimistic (wishful thinking, perhaps?) that it will be a Sony A1 killer matching the Sony's resolution--or at least 45MP--with better AF and handling in an integrated "professional" body. The integrated body being smaller than the 1DX body is, for me, one of the most attractive features.
I'm hoping for at least the EOS R resolution or greater. I was fine with the 1D X size, but a little smaller is ok, too. I hope the RRS L-bracket for the R3 is modular.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Canon never opened up the EF mount. Opening the RF mount to third parties would require Canon to invest in supporting third party manufacturers, and that would likely be a logistical hassle.

I think the decision for third parties is if they want to go all-in on the RF technologies like the control ring.
Canon didnt officially open(License) but somehow in last few years Sigma lenses were detected by Canon DSLRs(instead of spoofing seen previously) and applied correct lens profiles. Other than Control ring which won't be present, IBIS and Lens stabilisation won't work together with these 3rd party lenses.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Where does it say there will even be an R1?

Granted it's a Google translate, but the interview promises nothing about an R1.

...the EOS-1D X Mark III, which we keep as the flagship model of the entire line...

Other than a "we cannot comment on the company's plans for the release of new cameras" I can't find anything that implies there is an R1 and certainly nothing that would indicate an R1 in the near term.

• Angry
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Also in the original interview the Canon representative says the R3 will be in the same segment as rival Nikon Z9 and Sony A1, that is, the top rival cameras.

That suggests that the future R1 will be even more superior.
Well that segment is 45-50MP, so that gives me hope for a high-MP camera.

The R1? that camera may be 2 (or more) years away--available late 2022 at the earliest--, so I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Slightly off-topic, but Laowa is releasing a 33mm f/0.95 with RF-mount... for APS-C cameras?....

Yeah, I know. Several (all?) R cameras offers a crop-mode. And I think there also are RF-mount video-cameras with very similar sized sensors (don't remember name of format). But could it still be a sign of something else? Or just my wishful thinking? :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon never opened up the EF mount. Opening the RF mount to third parties would require Canon to invest in supporting third party manufacturers, and that would likely be a logistical hassle.

I think the decision for third parties is if they want to go all-in on the RF technologies like the control ring.
People keep wishing Canon would just give away the mount tech. I don't understand the thinking behind that. Why should Canon help a competitor? That's a little like expecting Ford to accommodate Chevy engines. Makes no sense to me. Someone will say it'll help Canon sell bodies, when the big bucks are made by Canon through multiple lens sales... Along with a body.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Slightly off-topic, but Laowa is releasing a 33mm f/0.95 with RF-mount... for APS-C cameras?....

Yeah, I know. Several (all?) R cameras offers a crop-mode. And I think there also are RF-mount video-cameras with very similar sized sensors (don't remember name of format). But could it still be a sign of something else? Or just my wishful thinking? :)
Fascinating. An APSC lens, not for M, not for EF-S, but for RF. The plot thickens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon makes a lot of money out of lens sales. I don't know if you saw their latest financial statement but currently revenue and profit are up due to sales of cameras and lenses, I can't see them opening up access to the RF mount for some time to come. If you want the RF mount your going to pay Canon to get it.
As pointed out above, Canon never licensed the EF lens mount/protocols to 3rd party lens makers like Tamron, Sigma and Tokina. No reason those manufacturers cannot reverse-engineer the RF mount as they've done for the EF mount. Samyang/Rokinon are already selling RF-mount lenses with autofocus, including a 14/2.8 and 85/1.4. So if you want the RF mount, you can already pay someone other than Canon to get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Where does it say there will even be an R1?

Granted it's a Google translate, but the interview promises nothing about an R1.

Other than a "we cannot comment on the company's plans for the release of new cameras" I can't find anything that implies there is an R1 and certainly nothing that would indicate an R1 in the near term.
I can't imagine them keeping an EF mount 1Dx3 as their flagship camera for much longer as it is clear they are transitioning fairly quickly to RF.

Of course the 1 series has always been their flagship camera, so I do see an R1 by the end of 2022 at the latest.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As pointed out above, Canon never licensed the EF lens mount/protocols to 3rd party lens makers like Tamron, Sigma and Tokina. No reason those manufacturers cannot reverse-engineer the RF mount as they've done for the EF mount. Samyang/Rokinon are already selling RF-mount lenses with autofocus, including a 14/2.8 and 85/1.4. So if you want the RF mount, you can already pay someone other than Canon to get it.
Is that 100% true? I thought Zeiss got some lens registration numbers for the body to know what they are (though only for manual focus lenses), and Red licensed the EF mount on some of their cameras.

Not denying the general point you are making though, and I thought I'd read (though it was probably from the internet so questionable) that for regulatory reasons Canon couldn't release the EF lens protocols to non Japanese lens manufacturers even if they wanted to.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is that 100% true? I thought Zeiss got some lens registration numbers for the body to know what they are (though only for manual focus lenses), and Red licensed the EF mount on some of their cameras.

Not denying the general point you are making though, and I thought I'd read (though it was probably from the internet so questionable) that for regulatory reasons Canon couldn't release the EF lens protocols to non Japanese lens manufacturers even if they wanted to.
You're correct (which is why I didn't list Zeiss or Red, and those are really niche manufacturers anyway, relative to the volume of lenses that Tamron/Sigma/Tokina move).

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I can't imagine them keeping an EF mount 1Dx3 as their flagship camera for much longer as it is clear they are transitioning fairly quickly to RF.

Of course the 1 series has always been their flagship camera, so I do see an R1 by the end of 2022 at the latest.
Flagships have four year cycles so it would make sense that the R3 is not a flagship.
In two years we’ll get a mirrorless R flagship: EOS-1R

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0