Canon talks EOS R3, and confirms that it is not the flagship mirrorless

Jan 29, 2011
I believe that the R3 will replace the 1Dx3 as Canon's pro sports shooter despite what Canon marketing says. Didn’t they also say that the R5 wasn't replacing the 5D series when in fact it did?

Also, the tilt shift lens article talks about a coming high mp camera. The R1?
That high megapixel R1 is just something I can’t get my head around. Canon are nothing if not conservative and they have been most conservative with the 1 series. For them to abandon that is more than a quantum shift and I just don’t see that as a necessary move on their part. Don’t forget the EOS 3 had more features than the 1V yet the 1V was the 1 series and more expensive.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Customers, whether pro or otherwise, rarely like to 'step down'. Replacing their 1-series with an R3? Not a good strategy on Canon's part.

As for the high-MP camera, more likely an R5s.
So far from what we know it seems that the R3 does replace the 1Dx3, with it's focus on speed. I think Canon is trying to protect the value of the 1Dx3 by saying it slots in above the R3.
I just don't know what features it has that would be superior to the R3. Maybe connectivity? Battery life? Ruggedness?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So far from what we know it seems that the R3 does replace the 1Dx3,
So, you read, "Canon says this camera is a new line for the EOS R system. It will be slotted between the EOS R5 and a future flagship camera, the EOS R3 is not the EOS R flagship," and you conclude that the R3 is a replacement for a 1-series camera.

Well, everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Even those who opine that the earth is flat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
So, you read, "Canon says this camera is a new line for the EOS R system. It will be slotted between the EOS R5 and a future flagship camera, the EOS R3 is not the EOS R flagship," and you conclude that the R3 is a replacement for a 1-series camera.

Well, everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Even those who opine that the earth is flat.
Actually Canon clearly stated that the R3 was slotted below the 1Dx3, not a future 1 series R camera if you read the development announcement. You seem to be changing their words.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Actually Canon clearly stated that the R3 was slotted below the 1Dx3, not a future 1 series R camera if you read the development announcement. You seem to be changing their words.
Exactly. So if Canon said the is R3 slotted below the 1D X III, and you stated that the R3 is a replacement for the 1D X III, who is changing their words? :rolleyes:

Oh, you want a replacement for your Ferrari? Here, how about this nice Mercedes? Yeah, good luck with that.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Exactly. So if Canon said the is R3 slotted below the 1D X III, and you stated that the R3 is a replacement for the 1D X III, who is changing their words? :rolleyes:

Oh, you want a replacement for your Ferrari? Here, how about this nice Mercedes? Yeah, good luck with that.
I didn't change my words, I question Canon's words. I am asking a simple question: in what way is the 1Dx3 superior to the R3? Canon marketing speak is one thing (take it with a grain of salt), but based on info already provided by Canon, the R3 will be their pro sports camera.

If that's the case, what role will a future R1 have? 50fps? I doubt it. That is why I believe it will be a high MP studio camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I didn't change my words, I question Canon's words. I am asking a simple question: in what way is the 1Dx3 superior to the R3? Canon marketing speak is one thing (take it with a grain of salt), but based on info already provided by Canon, the R3 will be their pro sports camera.

If that's the case, what role will a future R1 have? 50fps? I doubt it. That is why I believe it will be a high MP studio camera.
I don’t think that is the question you should ask because the R3 is much newer than the 1DXIII, the question you should ask is if the R1 is the ‘replacement’ for the 1DX III what does it have over the last of the DSLR 1 series cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

You made a statement, "...from what we know it seems that the R3 does replace the 1Dx3." There are really no facts to support that statement. It's certainly not what Canon stated, in fact Canon's statements contradict yours. Who do you think is more likely correct, the company that is making the camera, or some random person on the internet?

There can be no answer to your 'simple question' because we do not know the specs of the R3. Simple example, the RAW buffer depth of the 1D X III is >1000 shots, the RAW buffer depth of the R5 is 180 shots, so if the R3 has a RAW buffer depth of (for example) 300 shots, that would be inferior to the 1D X III and slot in between the R5 and the 1D X III.

As I said, you can believe what you want – some people believe the earth is flat, too.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Perhaps the R3 is going to somewhat take the place of what we considered the 5D series to be at one time.... the step before the 1D series. The R5 is extremely capable. Perhaps the 3 designation will give you an action body (R3) and a high res body (R3s). This would create a price point between the R5 and eventual 1 series in RF mount, and would certainly create a level that many pros would take advantage of.

In addition, I suspect the R3 becomes somewhat of a gateway into the 1 series at some point.

It's all speculation, but creating that different level allows them to define another price point. I could easily see the R3 and R3s slotting in at the 5500 range, while a 1 series lives in the 8's.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don’t understand people’s confusion with this. The R3 looks to be the equivalent of the EOS3, the R1 will replace the 1 series cameras.

So it seems to me we are going to have R6, R5, R3, and R1 ranges with MkII etc generations. The R5 will probably have R5s and R5C variants, but those variants might be based on the R3.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
You made a statement, "...from what we know it seems that the R3 does replace the 1Dx3." There are really no facts to support that statement. It's certainly not what Canon stated, in fact Canon's statements contradict yours. Who do you think is more likely correct, the company that is making the camera, or some random person on the internet?

There can be no answer to your 'simple question' because we do not know the specs of the R3. Simple example, the RAW buffer depth of the 1D X III is >1000 shots, the RAW buffer depth of the R5 is 180 shots, so if the R3 has a RAW buffer depth of (for example) 300 shots, that would be inferior to the 1D X III and slot in between the R5 and the 1D X III.

As I said, you can believe what you want – some people believe the earth is flat, too.
Here is a translated quote from a Russian Canon rep (not some random person on the Internet as you say):
" Canon is aiming this camera at professionals and advanced amateurs. The Canon EOS R3 is not intended to replace the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.
The camera will be intended for wildlife, sports, racing, and photojournalism."

It seems to me that his two sentences contradict each other. Aren't those uses exactly who the 1Dx3 is for? So how is not a replacement to the 1Dx3 if it is faster, most likely higher resolution, better autofocus, has an RF mount, does have a built in grip like the 1Dx3, probably better video given that it's mirrorless. It's true that we don't know the buffer size, but I imagine it will be substantial if it can pump out 30fps.

Here is a quote from Canon's own development announcement:
The camera body will be entirely new and accentuates the camera’s high-performance design. It’s a one-piece design, integrating the body with a vertical grip section. The weather and dust-resistance will be equivalent to that of EOS-1D class cameras — an essential consideration for nature, wildlife, sports and photojournalism content creators working in extreme conditions.

Again, based on the info we know now, how will the R3 be inferior to the 1Dx3? Even if the 1Dx3 has a larger buffer, the R3 still seems to beat it in most other areas. Technology marches on. And the earth is round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Here is a translated quote from a Russian Canon rep (not some random person on the Internet as you say):
" Canon is aiming this camera at professionals and advanced amateurs. The Canon EOS R3 is not intended to replace the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.

It seems to me that his two sentences contradict each other. Aren't those uses exactly what the 1Dx3 is for? So how is not a replacement to the 1Dx3 if it is faster, most likely higher resolution, better autofocus, has an RF mount, does have a built in grip like the 1Dx3, probably better video given that it's mirrorless. It's true that we don't know the buffer size, but I imagine it will be substantial if it can pump out 30fps.

Here is a quote from Canon's own development announcement:
The camera body will be entirely new and accentuates the camera’s high-performance design. It’s a one-piece design, integrating the body with a vertical grip section. The weather and dust-resistance will be equivalent to that of EOS-1D class cameras — an essential consideration for nature, wildlife, sports and photojournalism content creators working in extreme conditions.

Again, based on the info we know now, how will the R3 be inferior to the 1Dx3? Even if the 1Dx3 has a larger buffer, the R3 still seems to beat it in most other areas. Technology marches on. And the earth is round.
I could be reading too much into it, but I think the statement that it isn't intended to replace the 1DX III is a subtle hint that there WILL be a replacement for it, and this is not it. In other words, watch and see what is coming. What is coming will likely be measurably better than the R3 or the 1DX is now. In other words it is an attempt to prevent the confusion that you have just outlined.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So in a way, Canon is saying the R3 is, "...a perfect camera for action." That's a direct quote from Canon...in their brochure for the EOS 7D.

You're reading too much into all this. Canon stated the R3 will slot in between the 1D X III and the R5, and so it will. In fact, @JohnC was most likely hitting the nail on the head by suggesting that the cost of the R3 will be between that of the 1D X III and R5 (launch prices, that is).

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Here's my take (as we each have our own). I believe the R3 will surpass the 1DX3 in most items, however in the grand scheme of things Canon isn't saying that because they have a R1 planned.

Here's an analogy I think is fair... take high performance cars of a certain vintage (I won't go into brands as to not skew things). Say brands A, B, & C are all relative to each other with A being a entry level muscle/sports car, B the high end muscle/sports car, and C being the supercar. Now take the same brands many years later... it is completely possible for a new B car to beat an older C car (due to the tech available at the time). I believe we are now seeing this for the 5, 3, & 1 series (mimicking the examples for A, B, & C respectively).

Upvote 0
The simple answer is the R1 will have things that would be too extreme for the R3.

ND filters even better the electronic ones would be that sort of thing.

The R1 will likely have better battery life than the R3. Bigger battery to start with.

In comparison the R3 might end up playing safe. More of an updated R5 with some new tech to test out.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So in a way, Canon is saying the R3 is, "...a perfect camera for action." That's a direct quote from Canon...in their brochure for the EOS 7D.

You're reading too much into all this. Canon stated the R3 will slot in between the 1D X III and the R5, and so it will. In fact, @JohnC was most likely hitting the nail on the head by suggesting that the cost of the R3 will be between that of the 1D X III and R5 (launch prices, that is).
I dont see why you people are arguing. It does seem like the R3 is aimed towards sports or journalism. I believe it will take the place of the 1dxiii or sports camera in the mirrorless lineup FOR NOW especially with advancements in tech. Speed seems to be it's purpose and they didn't even mention video at all. I feel like the wording is tricky because they want to tell us there is going to be an official R1 flagship without actually officially telling us. When the R1 comes out it will be a "generation" above the 1dxiii aka a mirrorless 1dx4 except I dont think there will be a 1dx4. You heard it here first.

Upvote 0
Speed seems to be it's purpose and they didn't even mention video at all.

The EOS R3 aims to provide professional-level quality for both stills and video capture, even for moving subjects.

the camera significantly reduces image warping

The second one implies at least a fast readout sensor. Something that's important for video.

Not to forget it's 2021. Video doesn't need to be mentioned. They don't mention it'll shoot colour either. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it only does B&W

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

The second one implies at least a fast readout sensor. Something that's important for video.

Not to forget it's 2021. Video doesn't need to be mentioned. They don't mention it'll shoot colour either. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it only does B&W
I havent heard anyone really complaining about rolling shutter in current cameras for video. so if it is important i dont know how much of that is a priority in filming since most people dont pan back and forth much to for it to be a big issue when it does occur. I guess sports videographers might see the most benefit? I think most people are concerned about DR, sharpness, noise, codecs resolution, and framerates when it comes to video. These things canon didnt mention unlike they did somewhat with R5 which made everyone want that camera for video.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I think rolling shutter is one of those things that doesn't matter until it does.

I've seen people claiming a global shutter will help with golfers during the swing.

But in general they likely wouldn't want to market a slower sensor than the A1. Even if 99% would never notice.
I see that on the photo side of things. I believe you only notice rolling shutter in video when moving the camera very fast which isnt a normal thing to do when recording in most situations. Even then you will just get a smear of footage at normal speed. i guess if you do slo mo during a footage of panning you will get terrible results. ALl i am saying as of now this camera isnt being marketed towards videography as of now but i am not saying it wont be good for video right now all modern mirrorless cameras can do acceptable video in the right hands. This camera fills in the void on not having a 1D series mirrorless. THis must mean canon has big plans or arent ready to do release a flagship.

Upvote 0