Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

I really want the m5 Mark II as a poor man's 7d2 upgrade. I would have pulled the trigger already on the m6 mark ii but i want to be able to use external flash.

Your note about flash is exactly why I liked my M5 over the M6. If I mount an EVF, my Phottix triggers can't mount. Our son just bought my Canon M5 a month ago. I almost bought another one, I liked it so much !! But I used it most for hiking and some video for-the-record stuff.

I figured my EOS R with a smaller lens could fit the same bill, or maybe even an RP too, once those used prices dip more. Either way, I think the M5 is a wonderful camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RiceCanon

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
Hey Canon, I'm ready to make the transition to mirrorless as soon as you produce a "pro level" body with robust features that truly competes with Sony. You haven't done that yet so I'm still waiting (and waiting and waiting). I hope that day comes, and sooner rather than later. Many of the wildlife and landscape pros that I follow have ditched Canon and moved to Sony (some with a brief stay at Nikon) and seem very happy with their decision. Time is of the essence Canon so get with it!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’m a simple man, if a new Canon Top camera on the market I buy it
Top for what? Video, stills, image quality, resolution, fps? The concept of 'best' or 'top' is fluid and has little meaning. There are very few people out there for whom the 1DX MkIII is the 'best' or 'top' camera to buy for their specific use.

Upvote 0
As Craig said in his podcast with LR, Nikon may not make it.
Although Sony amortises their R&D/ camera by keeping them on sale (forever?), they are investing heavily for marketshare to release new models every 2 years or so. Cross business unit sales of sensors is internal cashflow but surely their P&L for cameras must be negative for some time. I don't have any figures to support this it seems to be a reasonable assessment.
I get that their fanboys are pushing and they have sales but if it is an overall smaller market then they must be hurting a lot. Their business case for FF market share and overall numbers has to have an end point for significant positive cashflow without management starting to prune their product line.

Upvote 0
Top for what? Video, stills, image quality, resolution, fps? The concept of 'best' or 'top' is fluid and has little meaning. There are very few people out there for whom the 1DX MkIII is the 'best' or 'top' camera to buy for their specific use.
Studio photography. Commercial photography. Well, I won’t refuse any video features btw I’d like to see next gen of 5DS R in DSLR but Big brother of EOS R is ok too.

Upvote 0
I love that my 7 year old body (5D3) still works as well as the day I bought it and I can hopefully rely on it for years if Canon doesn't start selling what I would prefer instead at a price point for my budget. Now if my 55 year old body still worked as well as.....
I did upgrade my 5Diii to a second hand 5Div recently. Waiting for a 5Dv... and especially some reduction from initial pricing was going to be a long wait. The changeover cost (with 5Diii sale) is reasonable given the years of usage and it is definitely an improvement. The bump in resolution is noticeable and my macbook pro is still handling 25+ frames as layers in PS so all good from that side.
Nothing compelling for me to get a R at this time although there are some nice features. Some great RF lens but I am happy with my EF set for the moment.

Upvote 0
Or maybe I'll smarten up and realize I don't need more than I already have!

Jack

I feel the same way, I'm about to the point I need to switch from a large backpack to a wheel barrel to haul my gear around.
Regardless, that 90D does look real good to me!!!!

As for Camera sales being down, I see it as more of leveling out from a year or so of heavy sales.

Upvote 0

Thanhha

EOS R
Jul 24, 2019
I love Canon because with Canon I don't feel the need of upgrading every generation (because there're not much upgrades worth the extra money :LOL: ), just skip and save my money for the next one. Unlike Sony, everytime Sony release next-gen camera, most Sony users will suddently feel their camera is out-of-date compare to the new top-of-the-line-spec camera :censored:

Upvote 0
I was also hoping Canon would keep the EF mount but after the fact they introduced RF Mount I looked at the history of Canon and found that Canon is one of the companies that have changed SLR Lens mount very aggressively.

R Mount 1959 till 1964
FL Mount 1964 till 1971
FD Mount 1971 till 1987
EF Mount 1987 and counting
EF-S Mount 2003 and Counting
EF-M Mount 2012 and counting
RF Mount 2018 and counting

After looking at that data above I am not too surprised with Canon's decision to introduce a new mount and it makes perfect business sense because they can sell all the same FL lens again to their customers at a higher price than their EF counter parts. Something that does not makes sense to me is at this point Canon has at least 3 active mounts (EF, EF-M and RF). Obviously I am assuming EF-S is dead already. I thought Canon would kill EF-M at some point but this news says that EF-M mount cameras are number one selling cameras across the globe. So it sounds like Canon will continue with all 3 mounts and at some point they will stop producing EF lenses and RF and EF-M mount will continue as is. To me it makes sense to have a RF and a RF-S mount like EF and EF-S where people can graduate to full frame cameras and continue to use some of their RF glass but Canon obviously thinks otherwise.

To be fair though, they didn't really change the mount that much.
The R, FL and FD all used the same basic breech-lock mount/bayonet but varied in aperture control functions which also meant they didn't retain full functionality if a newer lens was used on an older body and vice versa.
EF-S is still the same old EF mount just with the rearmost lensgroups protruding into the body (so they couldn't be used on all EF-mount cameras and customers needed to know this, hence these lenses were designated EF-S).
EF-M mount was completely new as was RF.

Also, add in the M39 mount they used before R/FL/FD.

So since their beginning, Canon have introduced a new mount 5 times. Two of those were recent.

Similarly, Minolta went from M39 to SR/MC/MD (same mount, added functionality similarly to Canon R/FL/FD) to A. Then their camera business was bought by Sony and E-mount came around.

Nikon? S-mount to F-mount to Z-mount with the Nikon 1 mount as a sidekick for a while. F-mount evolved to have various F-mount generations similarly to SR/MC/MD and R/FL/FD except it had more success in doing so and also evolved into something similar to EF (with the lenses with electronically controlled aperture and built in motors being useless on vintage F-mount bodies)

In short? Canon don't stand out all that much in regards to introducing new mounts.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I love that my 7 year old body (5D3) still works as well as the day I bought it and I can hopefully rely on it for years if Canon doesn't start selling what I would prefer instead at a price point for my budget. Now if my 55 year old body still worked as well as.....
I'm shipping out my 5DIII today! And, I agree with you, mine works exactly as it did new, missing just as many easy action-shots with its AF system as the day I bought it! ;)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

In the third quarter, our sales of interchangeable-lens cameras decreased 7% to 980 thousand units due to the impact of market contraction, mainly for entry-level DSLRs.

If Canon had released an EOS 7D Mark III in the first half of 2019, I'm guessing they'd have likely sold the 70,000 or so units that would have held the number of units at 1.05M like Q32018...

Keep in mind also that the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II only started shipping in the final weeks of Q3.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Except for maybe adding a macro lens, I am satisfied with my kit for the next few years. I am thinking I will do a major upgrade in 2023-4 and by that time the R series should be fully rounded out.

For stills this describes my situation. There's a couple more lenses I would like, but nothing I need. I'm sure I'll lust after the high rez R when it comes out...maybe even buy one. But maybe not because at this point I need more trips to use the equipment I've got.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I waited for Canon to deliver a 5DsR II right after 5D4 but nothing
I would have bought a 7d3. Canon seemed to have killed that line
I am still hoping there will be a M5 II
I am waiting for a high resolution EOS R

I am guessing a M5 II with great AF, 14 FPS with AF, AE and focus tracking and a weather sealed body will be a instant hit with wildlife photographers
I am sure at least a few like me who would buy one if Canon would release something they are waiting for but Canon is taking their own sweet time.
I like all the RF glass but without a high res body I do not want to invest in to that mount yet.
Some would use it for wild life, but absolutely not for me. I am one of those wildlife photographers who uses telephotos most of the time and I find my M5 to be too small for hand holding comfortably even a 100-400mm. The 90D is just right as was my 7DII.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I was also hoping Canon would keep the EF mount but after the fact they introduced RF Mount I looked at the history of Canon and found that Canon is one of the companies that have changed SLR Lens mount very aggressively.

R Mount 1959 till 1964
FL Mount 1964 till 1971
FD Mount 1971 till 1987
EF Mount 1987 and counting
EF-S Mount 2003 and Counting
EF-M Mount 2012 and counting
RF Mount 2018 and counting

After looking at that data above I am not too surprised with Canon's decision to introduce a new mount and it makes perfect business sense because they can sell all the same FL lens again to their customers at a higher price than their EF counter parts. Something that does not makes sense to me is at this point Canon has at least 3 active mounts (EF, EF-M and RF). Obviously I am assuming EF-S is dead already. I thought Canon would kill EF-M at some point but this news says that EF-M mount cameras are number one selling cameras across the globe. So it sounds like Canon will continue with all 3 mounts and at some point they will stop producing EF lenses and RF and EF-M mount will continue as is. To me it makes sense to have a RF and a RF-S mount like EF and EF-S where people can graduate to full frame cameras and continue to use some of their RF glass but Canon obviously thinks otherwise.

FL lenses were forwards compatible with FD mount cameras, so that was more or less 1964-1987 in the same mount.

Your overall point does remain.

Upvote 0