Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told about three new Canon Cinema EOS cameras coming in the near future. With NAB 2021 being held in October, I would expect Cinema EOS announcements ahead of that show.
It looks like Canon is going to release three new Cinema cameras, which would likely be additions to the current lineup. Canon has said in the past that they won’t get caught behind in the 8K space like they were when 4K launched.
It looks like Canon has two 8K Cinema EOS cameras planned as well as a dynamic range monster in a new version of the EOS C700.

Canon Cinema EOS C300S

8K Super 35mm
8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
BSI Stacked 3.2um 8K DGO Sensor
Dual Pixel Autofocus
16 Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode
Dual DIGIC DV 8 Image Processor

Canon Cinema EOS C500S

8K Full Frame
8K/60p, 4K/120p in all modes
BSI Stacked 4.65um 8K DGO Sensor
Dual Pixel Autofocus
17+ Stops Dynamic Range in DGO Mode
10ms Readout in 8K DGO Mode
Dual DIGIC DV 8 Image Processor

Canon Cinema EOS...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well they've dealt with rolling shutter and dynamic range as well as slow motion, so there is really not a lot to criticize anymore - beyond the 10000$ price point ;)
I haven't seen global shutter mentioned in the OP. If anything, the quoted read out speeds might indicate the opposite. If I'm missing some info that implies global shutter (or you simply consider such low read out speeds as having dealt with rolling shutter) I would appreciate a hint.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't seen global shutter mentioned in the OP. If anything, the quoted read out speeds might indicate the opposite. If I'm missing some info that implies global shutter (or you simply consider such low read out speeds as having dealt with rolling shutter) I would appreciate a hint.
After a certain point it doesn't really matter that much, 10ms for an 8K sensor is class leading and more than low enough for practical purposes.
The do offer global shutter in the current C700 for those who really need it, but it is a compromise in other aspects.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting to see some cinema news on Canon's front. After being with Canon since 2011, I ended up switching to Sony for the FX6. Like somebody above said, I wish they would release a cinema camera in a more compact form like the FX6 or the Komodo so that it can be flown on smaller rigs. I don't need something as small as the FX3 since there are plenty of DSLR cameras around to fit that need. I got tired of using the regular Ronin for my C200 and wanted something smaller for smaller gimbals. I absolutely hated the form factor of the C70 after using it and wish they would stop releasing cinema cameras in a DSLR type body. We need those specs in a smaller form like the Komodo or FX6. There's so much I loved about Canon that if they'd get that right, I would come back, because they definitely have much better lens options.

Upvote 0
Is this why they haven’t released *any* firmware updates for the C500ii/C300iii?

Sony has been bending over backwards to roll out FX9 firmware improvements.

If Canon ditches C500/C300 owners barely 18 months after release, then nobody is going to buy into another new system from them.

You have to support cameras and customers. That’s part of the deal.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Well they've dealt with rolling shutter and dynamic range as well as slow motion, so there is really not a lot to criticize anymore - beyond the 10000$ price point ;)

In my book, rolling shutter hasn’t been dealt with, unless the camera has a global shutter. Even in cameras with really fast read times on rolling shutter sensors, flash banding still happens.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Also curious about this. It would be odd to release new cinema cameras with EF mount if EF lenses are being discontinued?
Which mount? RF or EF. Out of my budget.
Waiting for R5c/C60 and C90, hopefully FF
Hopefully they go RF, because it gives you the best of both worlds and actually makes it easy to use pretty much any lens except an E mount.

Upvote 0
Will this DGO tech be possible to transfer to still cameras?
I can’t see any reason why it can’t(stills) go the other way, video is just a compilation of stills. DGO tech should be a piece of cake in stills, IMO. Can you imagine a FF/DX body with DGO tech in it, Canon will probably have 3 modes of dynamic range selection; DR, +DR, wDR(wide). If this BSI stacked is any indication, Canon is not messing around.

Upvote 0