Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
What does ISO 800 have to do with the technology itself?
I can only assume that ISO 800 was meant to serve as an example of the base ISO even though that would vary between cameras and profiles.
I guess it relates to C70 and C300 as concrete examples to get the highest range out of those 2 cameras.
DGO combines signal gain at low and high ISO.
Anything outside of that range can't use DGO and using an ISO between the range only shortens the range.
The highest dynamic range is typically the base ISO regardless of DGO.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I could be wrong but I don’t think Canon is gonna do another C series hybrid camera like the 1DC.
R5c is just what we are calling it, but since the R5 has 8K and 4K DCI and true 24 FPS, an active-cooled version could justifiably be called a cinema camera unlike the FX3 which has none of those features

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
R5c is just what we are calling it, but since the R5 has 8K and 4K DCI and true 24 FPS, an active-cooled version could justifiably be called a cinema camera unlike the FX3 which has none of those features
Gotcha. That said I really wanted to the 1Dc at the time, but the overheating issue was unacceptable. Would constantly overheat during 4K recording to the point where it stopped working. Sent out to Canon for repair and $1000 later it started overheating again about 1 month later.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Gotcha. That said I really wanted to the 1Dc at the time, but the overheating issue was unacceptable. Would constantly overheat during 4K recording to the point where it stopped working. Sent out to Canon for repair and $1000 later it started overheating again about 1 month later.
Really?
I thought the entire point of 1Dc was that it would never overheat.
I figured it had a similar heat sink to the 1DX II which has pretty much the same capabilities but never overheats.

Upvote 0
Finally some real action from Canon. I went back and forth deciding if I should go Canon or Sony for full frame and I landed on Canon because I felt like they were doing more interesting things with their RF mount and with their RF lenses. Hope they keep this up.

Would love more wide f1.8 primes. Would love to see some innovative F4 L-series glass for landscapes: 14-35 f4 or a 24-200 f4 or 28-200 f4.

I'm actually excited to see R5 mk2 or R5C or whatever is coming in the R5 sized lineup in the next 3 years. R5 is my preferred size but I would pack a C70 sized camera if the video specs were like these.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It never overheated for me

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
I still own the 1Dc camera. It has never overheated when recording in 4K, and I still have it going strong on a rig with my Atomos Shinobi monitor and Tilta Nucleus hand grip focus with FF motor.

Upvote 0

The FX3 shouldn't even be called a cinema camera. A more apt description would be a fan cooled MILC. It shares little with the FX series including having the same OS/menu system as its A7/9/1 bodies instead of the cinema os (Custom/Cine EI) setup of its bigger siblings. It can output RAW in 4240 across, but Sony literally copied the firmware over and didn't even add a DCI option. I would say the C70 is way more cinema camera than the FX3 with LANC and Timecode terminals, etc. and having the same operation as the rest of the EOS C lineup.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Of course NAB will be virtual, you've not enough vaccinated people around the world to have a safe industry indoor event as of now.
Maybe next year. If the industry have an interest holding big expensive events now they've learned to successfully launch products online for cheap.
NAB is scheduled to be October 8-14 in Las Vegas this year. Already have my trip booked!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
Really?
I thought the entire point of 1Dc was that it would never overheat.
I figured it had a similar heat sink to the 1DX II which has pretty much the same capabilities but never overheats.
Yea...maybe I just had a defective camera. It did the job great until the overheating started.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I can’t see any reason why it can’t(stills) go the other way, video is just a compilation of stills. DGO tech should be a piece of cake in stills, IMO. Can you imagine a FF/DX body with DGO tech in it, Canon will probably have 3 modes of dynamic range selection; DR, +DR, wDR(wide). If this BSI stacked is any indication, Canon is not messing around.
the dual pixel thing no one uses is kinda like dgo.

Upvote 0

andrewtowecreative

Cinematographer | R5 | C300 MK iii
I've been waiting to see some cinema news on Canon's front. After being with Canon since 2011, I ended up switching to Sony for the FX6. Like somebody above said, I wish they would release a cinema camera in a more compact form like the FX6 or the Komodo so that it can be flown on smaller rigs. I don't need something as small as the FX3 since there are plenty of DSLR cameras around to fit that need. I got tired of using the regular Ronin for my C200 and wanted something smaller for smaller gimbals. I absolutely hated the form factor of the C70 after using it and wish they would stop releasing cinema cameras in a DSLR type body. We need those specs in a smaller form like the Komodo or FX6. There's so much I loved about Canon that if they'd get that right, I would come back, because they definitely have much better lens options.
EOS R5c?

Upvote 0