Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
so you are 100% sure about this. I have a c70 but it doesnt cut it as well in gimbal work and compactness.
We do not know how small R5c is supposed to be.
I think it would need to be smaller than R3 but not necessarily the C70.
The R5 + Ninja V+ sounds perfect for a gimbal provided it does not overheat.

Upvote 0

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
Also curious about this. It would be odd to release new cinema cameras with EF mount if EF lenses are being discontinued?
Yeah that’s my biggest question honestly. I’m enjoying the C70 and just shot a 45 minute film with it which was awesome with a few quirks. But really I’m just waiting for the next iterations of Cinema cameras with RF mount as that is clearly their future mount. If that 4k 20 stops DR beast is RF I will be buying that on Day 1 of pre orders.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yeah that’s my biggest question honestly. I’m enjoying the C70 and just shot a 45 minute film with it which was awesome with a few quirks. But really I’m just waiting for the next iterations of Cinema cameras with RF mount as that is clearly their future mount
It will not clearly be their future if these new cameras do not come with RF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
the dual pixel thing no one uses is kinda like dgo.

Canon were always very specific in stating dual pixel and dual gain are very different technologies.

Thats because they are.

Dual Native ISO is toggling between two different gain circuits at certain dB (marketed in many Sony & Panasonic cameras). Think, 640 iso OR 4000 ISO.

Dual Gain Output is reading two different gain circuits at the same time and combining their output to a final image. Think, 640 ISO AND 4000 ISO.

Dual Pixel is a phase detection autofocus strategy.

I much prefer dual gain output as a technology.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Dual Gain Output is reading two different gain circuits at the same time and combining their output to a final image. Think, 640 ISO AND 4000 ISO.
That technique is patented by ARRI.
Canon does it a little differently.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thats because they are.

Dual Native ISO is toggling between two different gain circuits at certain dB (marketed in many Sony & Panasonic cameras). Think, 640 iso OR 4000 ISO.

Dual Pixel is a phase detection autofocus strategy.

I much prefer dual gain output as a technology.
Dual pixel is not limited to auto focus, it can be used to increase dynamic range by one stop.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
That technique is patented by ARRI.
Canon does it a little differently.
I read that article and both companies explanation of their technology is essentially the same. Hard to tell unless we read the patent papers.

Dual pixel is not limited to auto focus, it can be used to increase dynamic range by one stop.
Dual pixel RAW? That is super quirky and has perspective issues when blending.

Perhaps this is what Canon is doing for DGO but refined with tons of real-time processing.

Upvote 0
So DGO doubles read time too if readed two times. Need to be good still sensor to do that and yet maintain competitive framerates
C700WDR prolly reads sensor 3 or 4 times ,you guys still sure this isnt global shutter one?
No, it's reading the dual gains at the same time. Nothing to do with global shutter

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon were always very specific in stating dual pixel and dual gain are very different technologies.
I still find their marketing on this confusing. The DGO whitepaper at least clears a few things up. Mainly the term photosite, which they use for the entire unit of two photodiodes. The marketing had made that sound like the individual photodiodes to me.

From the whitepaper I understand that each of the two photodiodes is read separately and they sequentially pass through the same amp, but set to different gains. It certainly is different to the DPAF in some sense, but not as much as some of the marketing would have you believe. After all, it relies on the two halfes pixels to work at all.

And it doesn't seem to actually amplify each photodiode with two different gains like some of the articles comparing it to the Arri implementation suggests.

Upvote 0