Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Please forgive what I"m afraid is a stupid question, but....what does DGO stand for and what does it do?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I can’t see any reason why it can’t(stills) go the other way, video is just a compilation of stills. DGO tech should be a piece of cake in stills, IMO. Can you imagine a FF/DX body with DGO tech in it, Canon will probably have 3 modes of dynamic range selection; DR, +DR, wDR(wide). If this BSI stacked is any indication, Canon is not messing around.
It's not necessary. And would increase the cost of a still camera. DGO isn't merely firmware. It's additional hardware and firmware thus the Cine line. Video in still cameras (hybrid) only increase the price of the still camera.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for your experience.
It sounds like you have had better luck with other cameras.
If Canon were perfect then we would not have so many refurbished deals.
Nothing is perfect and no user or operator is perfect. Everyone doesn't maintain or treat their equipment equivalent. Even automobiles have a service department.

Upvote 0
If true, these cameras sound amazing and just what Canon needs to stay ahead of the competition. I’m using a RED at the moment so don’t exactly need these right now but the specs are making me extremely jealous. All that with the ergonomics and color science of a Canon body is very tempting.

Glad they are not repeating their 4K market errors this time around. Competition from Sony, ARRI, RED, and others in the video space seems to have lit a fire under them and that’s good for all consumers/prosumers/pros alike.

Looking forward to a bright future with cameras such as the C70, R5C (if I’m lucky, fingers crossed), and eventually, perhaps, one of these.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I guess the question now: is it possible to upgrade the C300 Mark III and C500 Mark II to the RF-mount (especially useful for the former with the EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adapter) or they weren't made to be compatible in the first place, and they are going with either of these new models to push customers towards 8K.

And of course they will also offer the smaller C50, C70 and C90 with the older sensors for those who don't need 8K or don't want to spend more. 6 cinema cameras with the RF-mount (plus the R5 C) are probably more than enough.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2018
I guess the question now: is it possible to upgrade the C300 Mark III and C500 Mark II to the RF-mount (especially useful for the former with the EF-EOS R 0.71x Mount Adapter) or they weren't made to be compatible in the first place, and they are going with either of these new models to push customers towards 8K.

And of course they will also offer the smaller C50, C70 and C90 with the older sensors for those who don't need 8K or don't want to spend more. 6 cinema cameras with the RF-mount (plus the R5 C) are probably more than enough.
Unless Canon releases the C400 and C600, then there will never be enough cine-cameras available! giphy (1).gif

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2019
I can’t see any reason why it can’t(stills) go the other way, video is just a compilation of stills. DGO tech should be a piece of cake in stills, IMO. Can you imagine a FF/DX body with DGO tech in it, Canon will probably have 3 modes of dynamic range selection; DR, +DR, wDR(wide). If this BSI stacked is any indication, Canon is not messing around.
The frame rate should be really fast first for imo, as far as my understanding DGO read the sensor twice so probably affordable global shutter still need to be achieved first

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The frame rate should be really fast first for imo, as far as my understanding DGO read the sensor twice so probably affordable global shutter still need to be achieved first
DGO doesn't read the sensor any more often than DPAF. It reads two diodes per pixel, but as each pixel has half the size and can therefore hold less charge, it also takes less time to read.

Canon processes the two gains sequentially, so that does indeed take some time. But even the non stacked Canon C300 III with DGO already has great read speeds. Global shutter is not a requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Sorry about this obsession about 3rd camera being global shutter one. :p
But it dosnt actually say C700WDR got dual gain output.
And i believe there was plans making global shutter what actually reads same photo two times to increase DR with penalty of halved speed.
DGO might be too difficult to put on globalshutter one.
Just doesnt go my sense canon giving free lunch like 4000$ C700 global sensor .
Twist would be sell same sensor again to same peoples with better DR camera :p
And C700wdr is giving two different speed,high rate without expanded DR . DGO cant be turned off. So cant be using DGO tech.

Last edited:
Upvote 0