Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I'm a hobbyist photographer

I have a 5D mark 4 and a whole slew of EF lenses : just about everything I could ever want.

I was initially really excited about moving to Mirrorless : mainly because it offered the chance to see my exposure (and depth of field ?) up front whilst adding image stabilization to my primes which would improve image quality when shooting family shots handheld indoors.

Initially, the main thing making me wait was that I wouldn't dream of moving until the EVF image was practically as good in terms of both resolution and latency as an OVF.

It appears we have now got to that point with the new generation of 5MP viewfinders.

So now I'm asking myself : should I jump to a Sony A7R4 and use my lenses with an adaptor ?

And every time I think about a Sony I come to the same conclusion : do I really want that tiny body to support my big heavy white lenses : won't it be too painful on my hands and wrists ? And, do I really want to spend £3,500 for the privilege of a horrendously uncomfortable grip ?

And so I wait, and wait.

I try to remind myself that "delayed gratification" is good for my soul ...

And, if I can really wait long enough - like until about 2023 ... then it will probably be very good for my pocket too .. as it will probably be a couple of years after the first "mirrorless 5D" that the prices drop.

So, that's what I'm going to do, and I can't help thinking there must be lots more like me out there ...

Come on Canon !
Lucky most of you still have the time. I'm in my mid 70's and leaving in a few wks for my 5th and last trip to Antarctica because some places are just getting to hard on my old joints and I'm running out of time waiting for Canon to come through. We have multiple trips planned over the next 2 yrs for wildlife photography and I'm getting tired of traveling with increasing numbers of people who where Canon shooters that are now either Canon/Sony or Sony shooters and beginning to kick my 7DMII butt. I was always able to hold my own with the 7DMII/100-400 II against the 500/1DMI or II in good light, but with Sony no, plus the files are a lot cleaner. Yes, the support and ergonomics are terrible as is the UI, but enough people who I know are working around/with that (These are professionals, who support themselves with their photography and they are now using their Canons more as backup because of the durability and support in case the Sony craps out!). I guess that is my best option at this point is to think about adding a Sony to my stable of increasingly expanding camera bag and continue waiting for Canon. After all, it looks like the R that I just bought is no better weather protected than a Sony anyway!
Catherine

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012

Seems a little like people aren’t reading this carefully. It doesn’t say that we have to wait that long for the R version of the 5DS or 5DIV replacement. It says 1DX equivalent. Which means that we will likely be shooting with a pro R long before 2021. (Early next year according to rumors) Just not one shaped like a square

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Lucky most of you still have the time. I'm in my mid 70's and leaving in a few wks for my 5th and last trip to Antarctica because some places are just getting to hard on my old joints and I'm running out of time waiting for Canon to come through......
Catherine

Catherine - mid 70s is still young and plenty of time to see Canon "kick-ass" with a 1DX mkiii equivalent mirrorless camera.
Also, there is other good news related to your passion for photography and traveling: "our findings suggest that having hobbies and PIL may extend not only longevity, but also healthy life expectancy among community-dwelling older adults."

So, keep traveling and racking up the shutter count

Upvote 0
Seems a little like people aren’t reading this carefully. It doesn’t say that we have to wait that long for the R version of the 5DS or 5DIV replacement. It says 1DX equivalent. Which means that we will likely be shooting with a pro R long before 2021. (Early next year according to rumors) Just not one shaped like a square

I can't say for others, but the existing R is close enough to a 5D for what I use that body for. I really wanted the 1D version to come out and kick some Sony butt, but....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III. It's light, incredible and works well with my 1DX II and 5D Mark IV. That said, I'm worried how this lens, along with the rest of my EF lineup, will interact with the new mirrorless bodies. I don't have the EOS R as it was too slow for my needs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the adapter will not slow down autofocus one bit....it does add more connection points regardless. Even a very minor or small lag can be a deal breaker in the wildlife space. I'll want to buy this new pro mirrorless body in a few years as it will be their fastest camera and an EVF along with a silent shutter are all major positives as far as I'm concerned. That said, the major drawback will be any loss of capability when using the adapter with the EF telephoto line. I can't imagine Canon would be releasing a full range of super telephoto RF glass by 2021. And if they do pull something like that off, they should've went toward that entire direction earlier rather than releasing recent EF updates to the 600mm and 400mm f/2.8 lenses...as well as an upcoming 1DX Mark III.

One thing I have really liked about the RF to EF Adaptor on my R and RP is when using my 1.4 Extender I still have access to all the auto focus points in the R and RP, I have read that with the 5D IV you were limited to a single auto focus point. Using the internal 1.6 crop on the R and the 1.4 extender on my 100-400 gave me some great results from Airshows this year. Just need a little faster shutter speed and I will be happy.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Wow! This is pretty crazy...

You can imagine anything, including flying, rainbow colored unicorns. Actually, flying, rainbow colored unicorns are more likely than the scenario you are imagining...

I'm going to ignore the silly use of "tepid" for now...

What exactly does this being a RUMORS site have to do with your comments? Perhaps you are equating rumors with opinions? And, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you are going to put out silly opinions mixed with paranoid, unfounded fears, you can expect people will respond with great derision.

Thank you for proving my point about the typical responses of a handful of zealots who cannot stand to have their camera's manufacturer criticized, who make it a mission to immediately quash grumbling among the troops.

And what is the ongoing fascination among the crusader crowd with rainbows and unicorns?

Canon should, if they could, indicate they do have a roadmap now that they have to stopped improving and developing dSLR's while introducing, yes, a tepid first attempt at a mirrorless FF. Why should they? Because customers invested in EF glass are, to an extent, tied to the company, and feel frustrated that RF glass only works on an awkward, mediocre body at this time.

I know that Canon doesn't care what a handful of "forum kids" are saying. But this is a great forum for expressing concerns, sharing tips, and discussing rumors--good and bad--about the state and direction of the industry. Great even when we are being called paranoid, dimwitted trolls!

I've been a Canon customer since the late 1980's. I was happy and excited during the transition to digital, and never worried about the future of Canon or Nikon. (I was so ready to stop dealing with film!) What's happening this year isn't simply a communication difficulty or problem with not understanding Japanese corporate culture. I'm perceiving, and I don't believe I'm alone, a historically reliable company starting to flounder and question its mission. I think Nikon is also struggling, and Sony sees FF cameras as a way to stay relevant with a hip crowd that has disposable income, a way to promote the brand while Sony finds a way forward in today's chaotic tech market. (Heck, maybe they just got carried away marketing their sensors and now they are stuck with a camera division!)

Unfocused, if this aggravates you, if you don't understand why I'm concerned about whether gear I buy today will be supported five years from now, then you are optimistic, reading things differently, and hopefully correct! I'm glad that living in an age when great companies and industries are fading away doesn't disturb you as you make large purchase decisions.

I hope that Canon makes an announcement soon that pops my "crazy" bubble and lets everybody know that a pro level, durable, weatherproofed body will be coming out at a fairly specific time. But I don't think they know when one will be ready.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Thank you for proving my point about the typical responses of a handful of zealots who cannot stand to have their camera's manufacturer criticized, who make it a mission to immediately quash grumbling among the troops.

And what is the ongoing fascination among the crusader crowd with rainbows and unicorns?

Canon should, if they could, indicate they do have a roadmap now that they have to stopped improving and developing dSLR's while introducing, yes, a tepid first attempt at a mirrorless FF. Why should they? Because customers invested in EF glass are, to an extent, tied to the company, and feel frustrated that RF glass only works on an awkward, mediocre body at this time.

I know that Canon doesn't care what a handful of "forum kids" are saying. But this is a great forum for expressing concerns, sharing tips, and discussing rumors--good and bad--about the state and direction of the industry. Great even when we are being called paranoid, dimwitted trolls!

I've been a Canon customer since the late 1980's. I was happy and excited during the transition to digital, and never worried about the future of Canon or Nikon. (I was so ready to stop dealing with film!) What's happening this year isn't simply a communication difficulty or problem with not understanding Japanese corporate culture. I'm perceiving, and I don't believe I'm alone, a historically reliable company starting to flounder and question its mission. I think Nikon is also struggling, and Sony sees FF cameras as a way to stay relevant with a hip crowd that has disposable income, a way to promote the brand while Sony finds a way forward in today's chaotic tech market. (Heck, maybe they just got carried away marketing their sensors and now they are stuck with a camera division!)

Unfocused, if this aggravates you, if you don't understand why I'm concerned about whether gear I buy today will be supported five years from now, then you are optimistic, reading things differently, and hopefully correct! I'm glad that living in an age when great companies and industries are fading away doesn't disturb you as you make large purchase decisions.

I hope that Canon makes an announcement soon that pops my "crazy" bubble and lets everybody know that a pro level, durable, weatherproofed body will be coming out at a fairly specific time. But I don't think they know when one will be ready.
You’re not alone. A lot of us pros have aging gear we need to replace or upgrade. With other manufacturers upping the game in the hybrid realm and some of us moving towards video, we need to make smart decisions with the future of our businesses.

That’s the entire reason I even visit this forum, to try and read the tea leaves before I drop a lot of money and time on gear that I’ll be married to during this supposed mirrorless revolution and shrinking camera market.

The constant beatings by hobbyists telling me what features I need for my studio and should live without is annoying at best. Seriously get a life outside this forum.

I just updated my calendar and, just this month and the next two, we’re looking at over 100,000 clicks and a lot of hours of video coverage. Can’t wait for the snow to fly and get a break haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Safe journeys to Antarctica. Make sure you bring your 7D mkII. Your mirrorless other brand camera will have issues in the extreme cold, especially with the evf and back screen.

Lucky most of you still have the time. I'm in my mid 70's and leaving in a few wks for my 5th and last trip to Antarctica because some places are just getting to hard on my old joints and I'm running out of time waiting for Canon to come through. We have multiple trips planned over the next 2 yrs for wildlife photography and I'm getting tired of traveling with increasing numbers of people who where Canon shooters that are now either Canon/Sony or Sony shooters and beginning to kick my 7DMII butt. I was always able to hold my own with the 7DMII/100-400 II against the 500/1DMI or II in good light, but with Sony no, plus the files are a lot cleaner. Yes, the support and ergonomics are terrible as is the UI, but enough people who I know are working around/with that (These are professionals, who support themselves with their photography and they are now using their Canons more as backup because of the durability and support in case the Sony craps out!). I guess that is my best option at this point is to think about adding a Sony to my stable of increasingly expanding camera bag and continue waiting for Canon. After all, it looks like the R that I just bought is no better weather protected than a Sony anyway!
Catherine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

I do not find the R or even the RP for that matter awkward or mediocre, why sully an otherwise reasonable post with negativity? Sorry this line really stood out at me and could have been so much better IMO if you would have simply said "only works on WHAT I FIND an awkward, mediocre body". Just my opinion.

Canon is not likely to fade away.

Canon is doing an excellent job of diversify their portfolio. Acquiring Axis Communications in 2015 was a major move into one of the fastest growing sectors in the world. I work for one of the companies trying to keep pace with Axis and I can tell you that is not an easy thing.

If Canon walks away from the consumer camera market it will only happen because they want to not because of what Sony\Nikon\Fuji is doing. I hope they never decide to do that cause competition is good for innovation.

As a Canon shooter for the past 20 years I am glad Sony is pushing the industry I really like using my R and RP and I am not so sure they would be a good as they are without Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
After the past couple of months I actually started saying that I think Canon is going to wind down commitment to nature photographers. The fact that their best offering right now is the 5 year old 7Dii, I don't think that's a leap. I'm not sure what advantages a 7Dii has over an a6500 at this point, especially now that Sony is putting out 600mm lenses. I was REALLY hoping for something, but Canon's silence speaks volume. No APS-C mirrorless, no replacement for the 7Dii, no pro-body R for at least 2 years...If the prototype pro-body R is already out, that means the specs on it aren't going to change a TON. Which means once again we'll be getting old tech compared to what Sony & Nikon shooters get. Really starting to regret all the Canon glass I bought.

The wedding photo guys seem to be in a different boat. My nature photo and scuba photo buds are all really confused by canon.

None of us see value from the R. We really feel overdue for a new camera. We have a lot of glass and hence think we should be very valuable customers but now some cynicism is sinking in. Maybe canon knows that we’re stuck since we have a lot of glass and will serve us last. I mean it’s really hard to leave canon when you have a bunch of L lenses.

But it’s sad to see the lack of innovation with the nature crew. Upgrades in speed, autofocus, ibis, dr, etc are all desired.
This isn’t studio photography. Innovation can really increase the number of keepers.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I do not find the R or even the RP for that matter awkward or mediocre, why sully an otherwise reasonable post with negativity? Sorry this line really stood out at me and could have been so much better IMO if you would have simply said "only works on WHAT I FIND an awkward, mediocre body". Just my opinion.

Canon is not likely to fade away.

Canon is doing an excellent job of diversify their portfolio. Acquiring Axis Communications in 2015 was a major move into one of the fastest growing sectors in the world. I work for one of the companies trying to keep pace with Axis and I can tell you that is not an easy thing.

If Canon walks away from the consumer camera market it will only happen because they want to not because of what Sony\Nikon\Fuji is doing. I hope they never decide to do that cause competition is good for innovation.

As a Canon shooter for the past 20 years I am glad Sony is pushing the industry I really like using my R and RP and I am not so sure they would be a good as they are without Sony.

Fair point regarding my opinion of the R. I have not tried it. I base my opinion on reading and viewing everything I can find about the R, as I'm very eager to buy the new RF glass.

(My town has no camera shops. The big box stores here don't have the R in stock, only as a special order. It isn't in my nature to buy something with the intent of trying it, but it might be time to start. Yes, I could rent, but it also isn't in my nature to spend about 10% of the price of buying just to try it.)

I love my 5D IV and never hesitated a moment to buy it as an upgrade to my 5D III. Its many little improvements make it way better than its predecessor, way better than specs indicate.

I call the R awkward because it doesn't have a joystick, or a mechanical mode dial on top, and because I think the arrangement of the buttons on the back does not look comfortable. The touch strip seems to be either useless or difficult to use, based on my intuition (which is wrong often enough) and many long-term use reviews. On the other hand, people on this forum who actually own the R seem to enjoy using it.

"Mediocre" does seem a fair rating of it going by specs. And by its minimal weather sealing and middle of the road EVF performance. It has a single SD slot. It isn't very good for sports or other action. I stick by "mediocre."

Should I buy one now, while its $400 cheaper than when released? Try it with an open mind? As aggravated as I am that Canon seems to be pushing back release dates for something better, maybe I should just go ahead and get a body I don't want to use the lenses I do want.

Canon seems in no hurry to release a better ef 50mm 1.2, or an ef 24-70mm f/2.8 IS, etc. So, if I want the Rf glass, I have to buy what fits it now and hope, with fingers crossed, Canon remains as dependable as they have been for many decades. Which seems pretty reasonable too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
<<< We are also developing a converter that can join a mirrorless camera to an interchangeable lens for a single-lens reflex camera.>>>

Sorry to be a party chiller but there is a bit of lost in translation here. The original Japanese text says "Canon will pursue the development of converters to attach DSLR lenses to Mirrorless camera bodies"

Such converters are already available, but perhaps there will be new versions in the future?

Upvote 0
It doesn't, because I rarely need it. I mainly shoot portraits and landscapes. However, in my mind, this is a limitation of the R's tech which can be corrected on future bodies...not the fault of the adapter / EF lens. Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding the limitation.

I also haven't had any issue shooting the occasional airborne seagull at the beach, or my daughter running across the yard. And moving the camera back and forth rapidly has always seemed very smooth on both the EVF and rear panel displays. Very close to real-time. The only time I run into an issue is in low light...then things tend to get jittery...but this also applies to RF glass.
I view the R as a good casual camera and not for anything demanding
I understand why some people love it
It’s basically the mirrorless Rebel

But it’s annoying when it’s discussed as anything high end.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
<<< We are also developing a converter that can join a mirrorless camera to an interchangeable lens for a single-lens reflex camera.>>>

Sorry to be a party chiller but there is a bit of lost in translation here. The original Japanese text says "Canon will pursue the development of converters to attach DSLR lenses to Mirrorless camera bodies"

Such converters are already available, but perhaps there will be new versions in the future?
Thank you for clarifying. While this is still a confusing statement, I appreciate having a more accurate translation. It is probably too much to hope that Canon would be pursuing converters to attach Mirrorless lenses to DSLR bodies. Something which, it has been pointed out by persons more knowledgeable than me, can be done, but requires lens elements in the converter, as opposed to the glass-free EF to R converters.

Upvote 0
Catherine

I’m jealous of your travels
Enjoy Antarctica
I am being stubbornly loyal to canon but am almost frightened to see what the new A9 will be like.
Maybe I’ll keep my L lenses and 7d but just add a Sony body with one lens?
Ugh don’t want to learn a new UI and worry about adding having 2 lens collections.

How would you pull that off?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This fits in perfectly with the professionals who hang on to their work horses. Nikon's up coming D6 is solid vindication of this.

This by no means indicates that we wont get our high resolution 5D X equivalent sometime next year.
What timing! Just this morning ran into one of the top wedding photographers in our state, and she said her D750 "just has too many clicks to get serviced again. I'm holding out for the D6."

Upvote 0