Canon to announce RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM this month

I am not excited about this lens because I want to buy it but because it is the first indication in a while that canon is going to continue making “budget” FF bodies. There are a lot of gaps in the recent rumors about where canon is going and I’m excited to see it play out. I still think it’s going to end up being an R8 and +/- R9 as FF and R50/R100 as the crop sensors.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It kind of makes sense though, if one considers that Canon is in the business if selling Canon lenses, and they don’t make money when third party manufacturers sell lenses.
Sony/Nikon etc could either receive a unit price (% price?) per 3rd party lens sold or annual royalty or perhaps another esoteric calculation.

There are weird and wonderful licensing agreements for IP rights limited only by your imagination eg: codecs, movie's "profits", or even impressions/views etc for Spotify etc.

In any case Sony/Nikon will receive revenue from 3rd party lens manufacturers. How much is unknown. How they would calculate their potential revenue loss by licensing 3rd parties is a more interesting discussion.
Sony didn't have a choice for when E mount was introduced on alpha series were introduced and now has significant competition.
Nikon had more of a choice recently but perhaps they have a greater cash need and no quick way of increasing manufacturing production and/or R&D for new products.

Reverse engineering of the AF protocols for EF lenses opened up the market competition for Canon but I would hazard a guess that Canon has encrypted the R mount protocols so that reverse engineering would be very difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Assuming that a budget FF R series body will be released at the same time, it'll be really interesting to see the size / price-point and form factor. I'm thinking it would be an RP replacement, but does it also signal that Canon are heading towards genuinely 'budget' FF R series cameras, rather than just replacing the older DSLR and M series APSC versions?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
One of the lenses that Canon will announce in the near future that hasn’t been on our roadmap is a Canon RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM. I think it’s safe to assume that such a lens will be very small and very light. The price should also be on the lower end of the line-up

See full article...
Kind of wondering why...

I mean, it seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"Me too". We either copy from Nikon, or we copy from our own DSLR line, whichever is worse. Then we add substantially to the price and are done with it.
Firstly, there are decades of Canon DSLR lenses that need to be updated to the new mount so some or many of the popular ones of those have to be ”copied”. Secondly, there has been a series of novel telephoto lenses that are much, much cheaper than previous ones etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Canon even makes one for EF-RF, intended for the C70 but why not use it on an R7 or R10?

Also Viltrox makes one: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005004516870111.html

I found it here in Italy some time ago for 210€ and had the idea to try it for the R10 to see the real performance (of course reviews says it's stellar, but they're paid to say that), but it's still too expensive, and I'm not sure i can resell it without losing money; if I'll find it around 120/150€ I'll maybe try it, but the idea with the R10 is to sell it as soon as Canon release an RP successor under 999€/$ with improved AF and video features comparable to the R10 itself, so investing in speed boosters and too many crop lenses and accessories (I've just the 24 STM paid 75€ for light trekking duty, and a Sigma 17-50 2.8) has not much sense.

About the 24-50, well...let's just say is a nonsense, IMHO of course; they could have done it starting from 20 or 22 at max (keeping it FF) so could really have been a double duty lens for both crop and FF, but starting from 24 on crop for a std kit lens is useless, and on a FF camera you can buy an EF 24-85 or 28-105 (I have the latter as an emergency lens to the 24-70 L if it dies during a wedding) which are both 3.5-4.5 and even being old I'm not so sure that the 24-50 would be so much better at comparable apertures, yeah it would be much smaller and without the adapter even more so, but those two lenses cost less then 100€/$ in good conditions, while the 24-50 probably will cost not less then 2/3 times the money...and there's still the RF (but also EF if needed) 24-105 IS STM non-L which is native.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am not quite sure why that is not a kit lens.
It is cheaper than most kit lenses.
It was the kit lens in film days before decent zooms. All consumer cameras from point and shoot upwards have zooms, and even phones do so in different ways, so people entering the market expect a zoom. I have a nifty fifty and hardly ever use it but I use my kit 24-105 and RF-S 18-150.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I probably wouldn't get the 16mm, as it would be used exclusively for landscape work where I need the highest edge to edge sharpness and detail rendering.
A question I've had for years is, does edge-to-edge sharpness matter as much to the viewers of landscape shots as to practitioners of that genre? I don't do much of that kind of thing myself, but my feeling is when the whole scene is the subject, sharpness matters less than, say, for a bird/insect/flower with a defocused background, where your eye is on one part of the image rather than ranging around or taking it all in at once.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A question I've had for years is, does edge-to-edge sharpness matter as much to the viewers of landscape shots as to practitioners of that genre? I don't do much of that kind of thing myself, but my feeling is when the whole scene is the subject, sharpness matters less than, say, for a bird/insect/flower with a defocused background, where your eye is on one part of the image rather than ranging around or taking it all in at once.
I don't shoot a lot of landscapes, but I do shoot a fair amount of architecture and there I feel like sharpness across the frame is important. But maybe not so much to viewers, as you suggest. Having said that, I shoot mainly for my personal enjoyment...so I get to decide what's important. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0